Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

CD & CL

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
CD & CL
« on: October 22, 2015, 11:06:09 AM »
Nice piece on Carlton Davis.  I think this guy is going to be on everyone's SEC All Conference lists starting next year.  From Tom Green posted in teh Dothan Eagle

AUBURN - Test Carlton Davis at your own risk.

That’s been the case for opposing offenses of late against Auburn’s freshman cornerback. After taking his lumps early on this season, Davis has emerged as a reliable option in the secondary for the Tigers.

“He's a guy that's getting more and more confident, he's playing very good football, he's a good tackler and he's playing very good on special teams,” Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said. “He's definitely been a bright spot.”

That wasn’t how it always was for Davis, a former four-star defensive back out of Miami. The 6-foot-1, 190-pound freshman has been picked on at times by opposing quarterbacks due to his youth. Davis showed his inexperience early on, often getting beat by receivers downfield or being called for pass interference.

Defensive coordinator Will Muschamp stuck with the talented freshman, however, and lately he has come into his own in the secondary, recording two interceptions over the last two games to lead the team in that category for the season. He now has 12 tackles, two interceptions, a pass breakup and a forced fumble in six games this year, including two starts.

“He's been in position to make those plays, though,” Muschamp said. “It's different when you're standing 3 yards from the guy and they're catching the ball. He's been in some 50/50 situations and the more reps he continues to get, the game is going to continue to slow down for him. … He has a lot of confidence and he'll continue to build his confidence as a player moving forward.”

One of those interceptions came last week against Kentucky and proved to be one of the pivotal defensive plays of the game. Davis picked off Wildcats quarterback Patrick Towles in the end zone on a first-and-goal play from the 8-yard line in the second quarter. The interception snapped a streak of 28 consecutive red-zone conversions for Kentucky, dating back to last Oct. 25.

“ That’s just letting us know he’s improving,” linebacker Tre’ Williams said. “Being a young guy, he’s really improving. His ball skills are great and that’s what we really love about him.”

Muschamp on Lawson:

“ He’s on schedule to come back, not this week, but he’s a guy that they’ve had on the field, not practicing at all but running and doing a lot of things with our staff,” Muschamp said Wednesday.

Lawson has been sidelined with a hip injury he sustained in the first half against Louisville and no timeline was given for his return. According to Muschamp, Lawson visited with Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday and the team is still preparing for the talented sophomore to return to the field this season.

“ We certainly expect him back, unless we have some sort of setback,” Muschamp said. “That’s why I don’t want to come out and say a date and then, ‘Well, what happened?’ I think we’re dealing with a situation that will be resolved soon.”

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: CD & CL
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 11:08:14 AM »
I think these young guys will end up benefitting the most and doing the best. They are learning fresh under Boom, and not having to re-learn and drop old habits like some of the upperclassmen. The boy good.

I read that last night about CL.....wood - I still has it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE