Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Butt Stuff

Butt Stuff
« on: June 16, 2023, 03:22:45 PM »
Smoking a boston butt, a monte cristo, and sipping on some makers over the weekend.  This is my perfect Father's Day gift.  If any of you are feeling squirrely, here's what this amateur does to make a Middle Easterner eat pork...

1. Trim her up, leaving a relatively thin layer of fat. 
2. Cut small lines in the fat, making sure to not cut into the meat.
3. Rub/spray with a binder of your choice.  Personally, I go with mustard (as most people probably do).
4. Generously sprinkle rub on all sides.  Will put what I do down below.
5. Let meat sit undisturbed in a room temperature setting. The meat and fat will noticeably start to absorb the rub.
6. Get your grill/smoker to a 230-240 degree steady temp & throw some presoaked cherry wood directly on the coals.
7. Place your water/drip pan beneath where you intend to put the meat (can be center loaded or to one side, I go to the side)
8. Place meat away from direct heat fat side up.
9. Let smoke for 3 hours undisturbed, then rotate 180 degrees.
10. Let smoke for 3 hours undisturbed, then take out and place in tin foil fat side down.
11. Let smoke in the tin foil for 1.5-2 hours.
12. Take out of tin foil and baste with a light layer of preferred bbq sauce and let smoke for 30 mins - 1 more hr.
13. Take out, place in fresh tin foil with extra layers, wrap in an old towel, and place inside a cooler.
14. Let rest for 2-4 hours, take out, pull apart, and eat.

Rubbing that juicy butt:  Southern Flavor Charbroil, Stubbs BBQ, Hardcore Carnivore Red, Amplify Flavor Dust, Garlic Powder, White Pepper, and Brown Sugar.

Feel free to give some pointers, or put your own recipe for a good, smoked butt. 

Note: All rude comments will be reported to the mods... once I find out who they are.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 03:45:35 PM by Snakebite »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Butt Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 03:53:03 PM »
I think I just jizzed a little and passed out.  Let me check....

Yep, I jizzed alright.

Haven't done one in a while because my Egg is on it's last leg.  The ceramic inner bowl is cracked open.  I could replace it, but there's a few other issues, so I'm putting a little $$$ aside here and there to get a new one.

I normally brine mine overnight in water, apple juice, salt and sugar.  Rub it up good with whatever I've got, and then inject some more apple juice before I wrap it up in foil. 

I'm likin' your recipe, though.  And the fact you understand that it's the process (Stogies and whiskey) that counts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 04:31:28 PM »
I think I just jizzed a little and passed out.  Let me check....

Yep, I jizzed alright.

Haven't done one in a while because my Egg is on it's last leg.  The ceramic inner bowl is cracked open.  I could replace it, but there's a few other issues, so I'm putting a little $$$ aside here and there to get a new one.

I normally brine mine overnight in water, apple juice, salt and sugar.  Rub it up good with whatever I've got, and then inject some more apple juice before I wrap it up in foil. 

I'm likin' your recipe, though.  And the fact you understand that it's the process (Stogies and whiskey) that counts.

Mine was a gift from my dad.  It's an XL BGE that he bought in 2003.  Great memories of grilling steaks, smoking stogies, and watching Westerns with him and my grandfather as a teenager.  It has its issues also, but I'll pay to keep it going as long as I can.

When I can't keep it cooking how it is supposed to, I am going to cave and get a Traeger.  Less skill required = more whiskey drank.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 05:07:25 PM »
Mine was a gift from my dad.  It's an XL BGE that he bought in 2003.  Great memories of grilling steaks, smoking stogies, and watching Westerns with him and my grandfather as a teenager.  It has its issues also, but I'll pay to keep it going as long as I can.

When I can't keep it cooking how it is supposed to, I am going to cave and get a Traeger.  Less skill required = more whiskey drank.

Same here with the XL. I still cook on it 3-4 times a week.  It's fine for steaks, chicken, wings, etc.  I just can't keep the temp regulated for long periods of time.  I have considered switching.  I'll make that call when I get to about a grand in the shoe box under the bed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 08:51:29 AM »
Saw the thread title and rushed over only to be disappointed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
Snakebite,
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

chinook

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 11:38:25 AM »
Saw the thread title and rushed over only to be disappointed.

thats for subscription only.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 11:39:18 AM »

Do. Not. buy a Traeger.  Trust me. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 11:41:56 AM »
Do. Not. buy a Traeger.  Trust me.

Any wood pellet grill, or just a Traeger?  Interested to know your experience.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 11:58:29 AM »
Same here with the XL. I still cook on it 3-4 times a week.  It's fine for steaks, chicken, wings, etc.  I just can't keep the temp regulated for long periods of time.  I have considered switching.  I'll make that call when I get to about a grand in the shoe box under the bed.
I have no problem keeping mine at around 225.  It's only a Large, but they say size doesn't matter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

chinook

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 12:05:36 PM »
Any wood pellet grill, or just a Traeger?  Interested to know your experience.

i live in the land where Traeger was founded and made. owned a USA made one. it's still around after 20 years but just at my neighbors house.   once they went to China and main stream quality and service went down...lots of people like them though. 

i would look at one made in the USA ...Yoder or MAK grills.   if you want the china experience look at Green Mountain...i think they're a better quality.  i use the davey crockett when camping.  it is a tailgater. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions