Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Will Barber Keep The String Alive?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Will Barber Keep The String Alive?
« on: October 01, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »
Nice piece on PB and the running backs.  Malzahn has always had at least one back go for 1,000.  We're less than half way through and Barber has 411.

By Tom Green tgreen@oanow.com

AUBURN - The verdict is still out, but Peyton Barber has stated his case.

Four games into Auburn’s season, Barber has made a case to be the preeminent running back in the Tigers’ pass-first, play-action offense in an attempt to earn the lion’s share of touches out of the backfield this year. Head coach Gus Malzahn still seems to be intent on using a backfield-by-committee to some extent, however.

“ It is starting to get a little bit more clear,” Malzahn said Tuesday. “The fact we had a couple of those guys banged up and all that has slowed it down a little bit. Things are starting to become clear. Each week, it will clear itself up, I believe.”

Through the first month of the season, Barber has done his best to clear things up for Malzahn and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee. The third-year sophomore has put together three 100-yard games in the Tigers’ first four games and is coming off a career-high 137-yard performance in last week’s loss to Mississippi State.

Barber is fifth in the Southeastern Conference (and 24 th in the nation) in rushing yards with 411 and is averaging 102.75 yards per outing. He also leads the league in impact plays — plays that result in either a first down or a touchdown — with 32 this season.

“ I feel like I’m an every-down back but at the same time I get stronger as the game goes on,” Barber said after last week’s game.

Barber has proven himself to be the most reliable option in Auburn’s crowded backfield, which opened the season as a four-man race for the No. 1 spot and has remained muddled despite Barber’s steady production.

Barber has stepped up time and time again when his number has been called while other running backs, like Roc Thomas and Jovon Robinson, have been slowed by recurring ankle injuries this season. Both Thomas and Robinson exited the second quarter of the season opener against Louisville with ankle injuries. Thomas sustained another injury last week against Mississippi State while Robinson’s ankle issue has persisted and affected his time on the field.

Thomas’ durability has long been a question surrounding the former five-star prospect, and coaches thought that would improve this season.

“We have been curious about how his durability would be, and so far he’s continued to play,” Lashlee said Wednesday. “Until he can prove he can go for a stretch without getting nicked up, durability is a question.”

That hasn’t been the case with Barber, who has remained healthy despite averaging 20.25 carries per game. His 81 carries are 15 th -most in the country this season.

“Peyton has shown a lot of toughness and has done a solid job for us,” Malzahn said. “Most importantly, though, Barber has been able to protect the football when it’s placed in his hands. Barber has yet to fumble the ball in his 81 rushing attempts, which has particularly impressed Auburn’s coaching staff.

All of that has combined for a compelling case for Barber to be the featured back in Auburn’s offense, and the 5-foot-11, 225-pounder will make his fourth consecutive start on Saturday when the Tigers take on San Jose State for homecoming.

“Peyton was running the football really well there for a good clip and right now he's the guy that's proven, from the ball security standpoint and just the toughness standpoint, he can carry that load,” Lashlee said.

He won’t be the only running back to see the field against the Spartans, however. The Tigers still plan to utilize Thomas, as well as freshman Kerryon Johnson. Robinson could also see his role expand as the season progresses, according to Lashlee.

Johnson in particular has been a breath of fresh air for a struggling offense. The true freshman has shown big-play capability and elusiveness while carrying the ball 11 times for 50 yards and making seven catches for 56 yards in limited action.

“We really think each game he has improved with the experience he’s had,” Malzahn said of Johnson. “With young guys you always worry about ball security, and he’s done a really good job holding on to the football. He’s got that ability to make people miss if you can put him in one-on-one situations. So far, I feel like he’s done a good job.”

Good enough to earn a bigger role in the offense and potentially provide a change-of-pace option behind Barber, who has proven he can be a reliable running back but has yet to show he can be a big-play threat.

“The moment is not too big for (Johnson),” Lashlee said. “Things are slow enough and mentally he's picking everything up. We gain more and more confidence with him every week. He's explosive, he makes some really good plays and he will continue to be a big part of what we do.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

Re: Will Barber Keep The String Alive?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 03:28:53 PM »
What's wrong with 20 carrys a game? Guy runs very hard. Get the others to do the same and throw it to them Lashlee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 09:26:35 PM »
What's wrong with 20 carrys a game? Guy runs very hard. Get the others to do the same and throw it to them Lashlee.
A typo
now what do I win?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 04:33:54 AM »
A typo
now what do I win?
Congratulations Mr. Uncrossed T.
You win a case of  ab so lute ly NOTHING!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 10:07:30 AM »
Isn't there a children's book with an elephant named Barber?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

jmar

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 10:15:26 AM »
It's Barber in Alabama, Babar elsewhere.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 10:17:31 AM »

Is that one B or two?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 10:18:19 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »
Is that one B or two?

But not right next to each other.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 12:10:10 PM »
My tummy looks like I may be pregnant with a baby elephant. Do you want to see his trunk?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 01:09:31 PM »
I think barber will get close to a thousand yards if he stays healthy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 01:18:52 PM »
I think barber will get close to a thousand yards if he stays healthy.

I think he makes easily.  (If we quit throwing interceptions)  But I am no coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »
Congratulations Mr. Uncrossed T.
You win a case of  ab so lute ly NOTHING!
I'm going to re-gift that to K, since he likes nothing
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 07:37:32 PM »

I don't know.  I don't have any.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »

Me neither, don't want any.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 03:32:27 PM »
Me neither, don't want any.
Buzz what talking about kids, not books
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 03:34:50 PM »
Buzz what talking about kids, not books

:haha:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »
Children?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions