Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 4

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Thoughts - Week 4
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2015, 10:38:43 AM »
It's just frustrating/infuriating to have to be looking for slivers of possible hope and a turd-tier bowl four games into a season that most thought would be a bust if it didn't include ten wins. 

I can understand that sometimes things don't go as expected.  What I can't understand and what slaps the give a shit right out of your mouth is the crash and burn.   Okay, so you find out you're not really a playoff-type team.  Why does that mean ass rape?  Why does that have to mean hoping to win an SEC game or two? 

2003 - as painful as that was - AU was a dropped Obomanu pass in the endzone against Ole Miss from being in the hunt for the SEC title with an LSU team that won the NC.  Still finished third in the SEC with a 5-3 record.

Then 2009.  Crash and burn?  Not really.  Five point loss to LSU. One point to Vandy. Three to Arkansas. Second half stumble against WVU. Ten  to Ole Miss. Four to Georgia. Give up against Bama when Tuberville was told he wasn't coming back.  Competitive in every game at least. 

2012 was a crash and burn.  Worst season in history.

Since the loss to A&M it's been one shit the bed after another.  We were supposed to remember 13 seconds and be so motivated that nobody could stop us.  Instead we remembered the last two minutes of the A&M game and have not played well since.  That carried over into this season where we've stunk from halftime of the Louisville game on. 

A&M was supposed to be a doormat in the SEC, can't compete.  Unless there's a miracle, AU's gonna be 1-3 against them.  We're 1-3 against MSU the last four.  1-4 against LSU.  2-7 against Georgia the last nine with two close wins and five blowout losses.  2-5 against Alabama. 3-3 vs Arkansas.   

5-1 against Ole Miss, though. 

That's not what a program that sustains success looks like.  And that's what worries me.
I don't know what the answer is.  I was afraid that 2013 would cause us problems and it has.  We had nowhere to go but down.  Again I think with Sean at the helm starting the season we may not have a blowout against LSU, not saying we win but I think it would have been closer.  Who knows.

I'm not enamored with the coaching right now, I know it could always be worse (see arky and UT). I guess I still have hope, and would like to see how this season plays out before making any kind of judgement. 

If we went 8-4 or 9-3 would we consider it a bad year? With what our expectations were yes.  But to consider year 3 with injuries, and starting a RS Freshman? I don't know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2015, 10:41:40 AM »
I don't know what the answer is.  I was afraid that 2013 would cause us problems and it has.  We had nowhere to go but down.  Again I think with Sean at the helm starting the season we may not have a blowout against LSU, not saying we win but I think it would have been closer.  Who knows.

I'm not enamored with the coaching right now, I know it could always be worse (see arky and UT). I guess I still have hope, and would like to see how this season plays out before making any kind of judgement. 

If we went 8-4 or 9-3 would we consider it a bad year? With what our expectations were yes.  But to consider year 3 with injuries, and starting a RS Freshman? I don't know.

Pre-season, I would have been upset with 8-4.  At this point, I would be ecstatic with it.  Not sure how that makes me feel in the whole scheme of things...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2015, 10:42:05 AM »
It's just frustrating/infuriating to have to be looking for slivers of possible hope and a turd-tier bowl four games into a season that most thought would be a bust if it didn't include ten wins. 

I can understand that sometimes things don't go as expected.  What I can't understand and what slaps the give a shit right out of your mouth is the crash and burn.   Okay, so you find out you're not really a playoff-type team.  Why does that mean ass rape?  Why does that have to mean hoping to win an SEC game or two? 

2003 - as painful as that was - AU was a dropped Obomanu pass in the endzone against Ole Miss from being in the hunt for the SEC title with an LSU team that won the NC.  Still finished third in the SEC with a 5-3 record.

Then 2009.  Crash and burn?  Not really.  Five point loss to LSU. One point to Vandy. Three to Arkansas. Second half stumble against WVU. Ten  to Ole Miss. Four to Georgia. Give up against Bama when Tuberville was told he wasn't coming back.  Competitive in every game at least. 

2012 was a crash and burn.  Worst season in history.

Since the loss to A&M it's been one shit the bed after another.  We were supposed to remember 13 seconds and be so motivated that nobody could stop us.  Instead we remembered the last two minutes of the A&M game and have not played well since.  That carried over into this season where we've stunk from halftime of the Louisville game on. 

A&M was supposed to be a doormat in the SEC, can't compete.  Unless there's a miracle, AU's gonna be 1-3 against them.  We're 1-3 against MSU the last four.  1-4 against LSU.  2-7 against Georgia the last nine with two close wins and five blowout losses.  2-5 against Alabama. 3-3 vs Arkansas.   
5-1 against Ole Miss, though. 

That's not what a program that sustains success looks like.  And that's what worries me.

Those numbers tell a story about a football team not prepared to play.

I saw this act in 2008 and 2012. Every week we hoped they get better, every week the came out and looked worst. Right now I just don't have it in me to see any rainbows. 

Those numbers will get worst before they get better.

We are Auburn, we deserve better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2015, 10:49:28 AM »
Gus actually used the words young and inexperienced in the post game presser. He shit the bed in four of the last five last season. And now we are at .500 with unrealistic expectations. Mismanaged?
All I know is that he and the staff have a couple of weeks to get it right. Fuck the excuses. There are none.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2015, 10:51:39 AM »
Gus actually used the words young and inexperienced in the post game presser. He shit the bed in four of the last five last season. And now we are at .500 with unrealistic expectations. Mismanaged?
All I know is that he and the staff have a couple of weeks to get it right. Fuck the excuses. There are none.
Gus is 3-6 in his last 9 games. There's no excuse for that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2015, 10:57:52 AM »
Maybe not. Or maybe, he was using smoke and mirrors left over from Chiz.

I am disappointed but not as disappointed as most. I didn't buy the playoff. We lost really good offensive players, new QB, new DC, new punter. The end of last season also was an indicator.

Still, I expected MUCH better than what we saw the first 3 games. There is no excuse for how pitiful those  were.

I'm still on the Gus bus. I think that he's still learning how to be a head coach. Maybe he needs to relinquish some of the play calling or day to day. I don't know the answer but he needs to do something. If I were to make any change, it would be to substitute less, run qb more and throw it to Duke and Ray.

My suggestion would be to go wildcat with Jason Smith in the red zone for starters. That's the biggest problem, imo.

If the D keeps making strides like the 2nd half of State and doesn't disappear like with LSU and we start making red zone work--we're at least a bowl team. We have to scratch to get there but that will be an accomplishment. Then, we should look more like a legit contender for next year.

We were paper tigers this year. No doubt in my mind. We are not ready.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:00:51 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2015, 11:00:34 AM »
I was honestly disappointed in the play of the defense in the first quarter and the pass blocking of the OL all game long.  Otherwise, I saw a lot of positives that can be built on for the balance of the year.

After that first drive, we gave up 250 yards the entire game. Yes, that is very encouraging. Especially against the SEC's most experienced QB/WR combo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2015, 11:05:27 AM »

I am disappointed but not as disappointed as most. I didn't buy the playoff. We lost really good offensive players, new QB, new DC, new punter. The end of last season also was an indicator.

Still, I expected MUCH better than what we saw the first 3 games. There is no excuse for how pitiful those  were.

I'm still on the Gus bus. I think that he's still learning how to be a head coach. Maybe he needs to relinquish some of the play calling or day to day. I don't know the answer but he needs to do something. If I were to make any change, it would be to substitute less, run qb more and throw it to Duke and Ray.

My suggestion would be to go wildcat with Jason Smith in the red zone for starters. That's the biggest problem, imo.

If the D keeps making strides like the 2nd half of State and doesn't disappear like with LSU and we start making red zone work--we're at least a bowl team. We have to scratch to get there but that will be an accomplishment. Then, we should look more like a legit contender for next year.

Except for the paper tigers part, but only because I wanted to believe, not because it isn't true.  I am with you 100%.

My biggest thing is that I want to see game improvement from this point forward.  As far as I'm concerned the season started with State.  Now show us what you got.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2015, 11:06:40 AM »

Pretty much since halftime at A&M last year like K stated. Or to a lesser degree even going back to MSU last year. Something happened at halftime at that A&M game. Its scary. Its eerie. I dont know what happened, but it was powerful. And I wish I knew what the frick it was.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2015, 11:06:54 AM »

On so we are starting over...like Michigan or building like Tennessee?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2015, 11:16:07 AM »
And I wish I knew what the frick it was.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

jmar

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2015, 11:22:01 AM »

Young and inexperienced aliens at that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2015, 11:22:44 AM »
Pretty much since halftime at A&M last year like K stated. Or to a lesser degree even going back to MSU last year. Something happened at halftime at that A&M game. Its scary. Its eerie. I dont know what happened, but it was powerful. And I wish I knew what the frick it was.
Don't know how many times I gots to say it.

Coincidence? I think not!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2015, 11:26:23 AM »
ohCassanova benching surprised me as well, and he came out like a man possessed. I will say this about Roc even though his being brought in at the time was puzzling, because we actually had a productive offense, with a respected passing game, Roc did well.

I like using him for the in space plays and sweeps. Running him up the middle is a waste, imo.

I really like when PB and KJ/Roc are in at the same time. With SW running more read option, this could be the winning formula. I saw PB laying a block better than either of the H-backs.  And the play action off of this lineup would be effective.

And really, what happened was a big whiff on a QB that everyone thought was the tits. he still may be a great option in the redzone. If he hauls the rick like a man possessed, he may be useful too us. Its hard to stop all of that beef once it gets going.

But I really like how SW plays the game. he knows he's not the tallest or the fastest, so he relies on the intangibles and plays all out. I cannot ever ask for more in a QB. And he has a good arm with excellent accuracy. He got hit hard and still delivered a shot n one of those plays. Bounced up and was ready to go again. That fires up an offense.

And like many have stated, if we just stuck with the run and added on a couple of short passes, we could have worn them out. Practice a true option and we can do some damage.

And one more thing I saw, was our first short crossing route of the year. Of course it was 3rd and 20 and JS dropped it, but there is hope.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:29:07 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »

How did we have no where to go but down? I think we had no where to go but up.

2013 featured some fortunate bounces that went our way. But that team had serious flaws. The defense was rather soft for a championship caliber team. The offense was unstoppable but was definitely a single-headed monster (read-option run game).

Malzahn should have been able to start moving this team in a better direction after that season. Better defense, more dynamic offense.

Instead, the defense got worse and the offense has become 2008/2012 bad.

If we can go 9-3, I'll consider it a good year. That would mean wins against all but one of the following: Ole Miss, Alabama, Georgia, and @Texas A&M. 8-4 would at least get me hoping for next year. 7-5 or worse, and I'm thinking about how to plan my Saturdays in fall of 2016 away from college fooball
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

jmar

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2015, 11:28:56 AM »

Yeah we hupped when nobody say hup.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2015, 11:36:14 AM »

Which Nov 7th is that?

Because last year's game was in Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »

2013 featured some fortunate bounces that went our way. But that team had serious flaws. The defense was rather soft for a championship caliber team. The offense was unstoppable but was definitely a single-headed monster (read-option run game).

Malzahn should have been able to start moving this team in a better direction after that season. Better defense, more dynamic offense.

If we can go 9-3, I'll consider it a good year. That would mean wins against all but one of the following: Ole Miss, Alabama, Georgia, and @Texas A&M. 8-4 would at least get me hoping for next year. 7-5 or worse, and I'm thinking about how to plan my Saturdays in fall of 2016 away from college fooball

Not going 9-3.  That's a pipe dream.

This season has convinced me to do something I need to do anyway.  Will make me $200-500k a year working hard for about two months.  I haven't done it because those two months are September and October.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »

My 2015 fall Saturdays have opened up. We have become insanity, doing the same thing that is not working and expecting different results. Right now this team get pounded by Ole miss, Georgia and turds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »
Not going 9-3.  That's a pipe dream.

This season has convinced me to do something I need to do anyway.  Will make me $200-500k a year working hard for about two months.  I haven't done it because those two months are September and October.

You do know there is no money to be made building tomato force fields?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions