Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

You have had ONE productive player on offense so far this season

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
You have had ONE productive player on offense so far this season
« on: September 21, 2015, 10:40:28 AM »
So, why won't you at least make him feel like he's needed?

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/auburn_still_doesnt_have_a_starting_running_back.html#incart_river

By Brandon Marcello | bmarcello@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on September 20, 2015 at 8:25 PM, updated September 21, 2015 at 12:33 AM

Auburn is not making any hard decision at running back.

Peyton Barber has started the last two games, but the sophomore rarely played in the second half of the Tigers' 45-21 loss Saturday at LSU.

What does the future hold for Auburn's four tailbacks? Is it important to name a starting running back?

"Yes and no," offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said. "I think all of those guys do a lot of good things. We, just as in general, as an offense, we need to get some consistency."

Barber had five carries for 24 yards in the first, but received only two totes in the second half. Roc Thomas took the bulk of load, leading all running backs with 37 yards on eight carries (all in the second half).

Auburn also turned to freshman Kerryon Johnson, who picked up 14 yards on four carries and had three catches for 17 yards.

"We'll reevaluate everyone, look at all facets of we're doing and we'll make decisions," Lashlee said. "Sometimes you don't make decision based on someone not doing a good job, you just make decision based on what you think is best for the team and for the unit. Whatever we think we need to do this week to get some consistency, to get some rhythm, to get some production, that's what we'll do."

Jovon Robinson's role with the team continues to be a mystery. He carried the ball only twice for four years, upping the former five-star prospect's total to 20 yards on four carries this season -- the lowest total among the running backs.

Barber, who entered last week averaging 120 yards, said he feels confident heading into the Tigers' SEC home opener Saturday against Mississippi State.

"I definitely feel good about it," Barber said. "I didn't play that much in the second half but at the same time it's the coaches' decision. It's up to them, whatever they want to do."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: You have had ONE productive player on offense so far this season
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »
Sometimes you don't make decision based on someone not doing a good job.you just make decision based on what you think is best for the team and for the unit.

Monday morning team meeting:

Ok JJ you haven't played worth a shit in three week, You fumbled/threw the ball backwards last Sat, you had another interception, you missed wide open receivers.  Your our started this sat.  WTF :haha:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:51:30 AM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
We're in a bind because the defenses can just walk up to the line of scrimmage and shut down the run game. I haven't looked at the Jeremy Johnson touchdown run, but I would imagine that it worked because LSU's defense was stacked in the box ready to shut down anything within five yards of the line of scrimmage. Once Johnson broke into the secondary, there was no one out there to tackle him because LSU wasn't respecting our pass game at all.

JSU did the same thing. They KNOW Johnson is either going to throw an awful interception or a bad pass. So they walk up their safeties, tell their linebackers to read run, and instruct their d-line to disrupt the line of scrimmage. Someone will be unblocked and can sprint to the runner and make the tackle.

So to have any chance to win, you can't give it to Barber or Roc or Jovon. Maybe Kerryon Johnson is shifty enough to think he can break one, but he'll get tackled for a loss or short gain most of the time. This puts the ball in Johnson's hands, and he sucks so bad that he can't be trusted to throw the ball forward.

This offense is doomed. DOOOOOMMMMED.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »
We're in a bind because the defenses can just walk up to the line of scrimmage and shut down the run game. I haven't looked at the Jeremy Johnson touchdown run, but I would imagine that it worked because LSU's defense was stacked in the box ready to shut down anything within five yards of the line of scrimmage. Once Johnson broke into the secondary, there was no one out there to tackle him because LSU wasn't respecting our pass game at all.

JSU did the same thing. They KNOW Johnson is either going to throw an awful interception or a bad pass. So they walk up their safeties, tell their linebackers to read run, and instruct their d-line to disrupt the line of scrimmage. Someone will be unblocked and can sprint to the runner and make the tackle.

So to have any chance to win, you can't give it to Barber or Roc or Jovon. Maybe Kerryon Johnson is shifty enough to think he can break one, but he'll get tackled for a loss or short gain most of the time. This puts the ball in Johnson's hands, and he sucks so bad that he can't be trusted to throw the ball forward.

Actually...no.

Believe it or not, Auburn came out with an empty backfield and there were ZERO LB's in the middle of the field. I imagine they probably thought that AUburn would motion in to a run and run to the wide side of the field because there was NOT ONE PERSON in the middle. They had 4 down lineman and that was it. The center was the lead blocker and he blocked the safety.

I was honestly kind of pissed because I thought that that prolonged JJ to stay in the game. I looked at my wife and said "I am pretty sure LSU did that to keep JJ in the game." It was horrible defense...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 11:15:34 AM »
Actually...no.

Believe it or not, Auburn came out with an empty backfield and there were ZERO LB's in the middle of the field. I imagine they probably thought that AUburn would motion in to a run and run to the wide side of the field because there was NOT ONE PERSON in the middle. They had 4 down lineman and that was it. The center was the lead blocker and he blocked the safety.

I was honestly kind of pissed because I thought that that prolonged JJ to stay in the game. I looked at my wife and said "I am pretty sure LSU did that to keep JJ in the game." It was horrible defense...

Now that is some got damn coaching right there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »

Outside of your analysis of the JJ run the rest is pretty spot on.  Welcome to Terry Bowden & Dameyune Craig ball the difference being we had no RB's and Craig was all world QB.  However, the defenses also knew we were going to throw every down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 11:57:50 AM »
Outside of your analysis of the JJ run the rest is pretty spot on.  Welcome to Terry Bowden & Dameyune Craig ball the difference being we had no RB's and Craig was all world QB.  However, the defenses also knew we were going to throw every down.

But we were embarrassed if our defense finished in the 50s with those teams (the 98 defense was great, just couldnt get off the field).  Shit, even under Tubs last season, our defense wasn't an abortion.

Now, if we could have a defense in the top 60, I'd be willing to pitch in to help build a statue of Boom.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 12:03:08 PM »
But we were embarrassed if our defense finished in the 50s with those teams (the 98 defense was great, just couldnt get off the field).  Shit, even under Tubs last season, our defense wasn't an abortion.

Now, if we could have a defense in the top 60, I'd be willing to pitch in to help build a statue of Boom.

Again don't disagree, but we were all wearing O&B glasses (myself included big time) thinking that Boom was going to fix the defense overnight.  Couple that with a complete lack of offense and the injuries we have on the D-side and I think you have the answer of what a cluster fuck looks like.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 12:05:34 PM »
Again don't disagree, but we were all wearing O&B glasses (myself included big time) thinking that Boom was going to fix the defense overnight.  Couple that with a complete lack of offense and the injuries we have on the D-side and I think you have the answer of what a cluster fudge looks like.

I blame your phone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »
I blame your phone.
I had my phone for the first two games, JJ was just as bad.  The one constant is the loss of a kidney.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 12:11:47 PM »
I had my phone for the first two games, JJ was just as bad.  The one constant is the loss of a kidney.

It was all good until someone put a sweater vest on the kidney.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 02:05:58 PM »
I blame it on this.  Ever since this appeared it sapped our mojo, I vote this be burned.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 02:17:37 PM »
Maybe we need a State of WE's Kidney sticker to reverse the mojo?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions