Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Skrubdinski Nails It

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Skrubdinski Nails It
« on: September 08, 2015, 09:34:54 AM »
Piece from Kevin Sclabrinshki puts Saturday in perspective. 

Let's face it. No need to sugar-coat it. That Auburn team looked nothing like an SEC champion or a national championship contender in its opener.

Oh, sure, the Tigers won 31-24 against a Power 5 opponent in front of a partisan crowd, but no one will mistake the other team for Alabama.

For all of Gus Malzahn's genius, his offense ran fewer plays, accumulated fewer first downs and gained fewer yards than the offense run by his opposite number, who's kind of a big deal himself when it comes to gurus.

The Auburn quarterback completed barely half his passes, for crying out loud.

Sure, the Tigers won the game, but they needed a long special teams touchdown and some key turnovers from their defense to do it by only one score.

If it feels like we've seen this movie before, we have. Auburn's 31-24 season-opening win Saturday over Louisville had a lot in common with Auburn's 31-24 season-opening win in 2013 over Washington State.

Look at the similarities.

On Sept. 5, 2015, Louisville under the guidance of second-year head coach/offensive mastermind Bobby Petrino ran more plays (81-62), accumulated more first downs (27-21) and gained more yards (405-327) than Auburn. Jeremy Johnson competed a mere 11 of 21 passes for 137 yards.

The Tigers got an 82-yard fumble return for a touchdown by Justin Garrett in the second quarter and eventually won by a touchdown.

On Aug. 31, 2013, Washington State under the guidance of second-year head coach/offensive mastermind Mike Leach ran more plays (88-66), accumulated more first downs (28-16) and gained more yards (464-394) than Auburn. Nick Marshall completed a mere 10 of 19 passes for 99 yards.

The Tigers got a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown from Tre Mason in the second quarter and eventually won by a touchdown.

Eerie when you look at it that way.

Of course, there were important differences between the 2013 and 2015 openers, too, beyond the upgrade from Ellis Johnson to Will Muschamp.

That 2013 debut was just as close as the final score indicated. Washington State got the ball twice in the final 9 minutes with a chance to tie and drove deep into Auburn territory each time but came up short. This opener was never really in doubt. Louisville never got the ball back with a chance to tie in the final 36:54.

Oh, and one more thing. That 2013 Washington State team went 6-6 to reach a bowl game. Expect more from this talented Louisville team.

What does it all mean? First impressions don't always last. No one believed that 2013 Auburn team would win the conference championship and play for the national title, before or after it started 1-0. No one fully understood that team's potential until mid-October, when it went on the road and took down Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M in a shootout.

As shaky as it looked at times, this Auburn team won't be defined by what happened Saturday. There are mistakes to correct and playing rotations to reassess, but that's true for every team in America after Week One. Not every team has as many possible answers as the Tigers if they can keep key contributors such as Carl Lawson and Tray Matthews healthy.

There's no question the Tigers didn't light up the Georgia Dome. Doesn't mean they won't return Dec. 5.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: Skrubdinski Nails It
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:41:56 AM »
It always feels like somebody's watching me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »
It always feels like somebody's watching me.

And I have no privacy.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:50:40 AM »
Gonna be hard to be successful with the backup QB...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 09:59:56 AM »
Gonna be hard to be successful with the backup QB...
What if the backup is better?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 10:05:52 AM »
God knows we've gotten our asses kicked by back up QBs before. I forgot what year it was that we knocked out LSU's QB only to get picked apart by the backup. I don't remember because I proceeded to get obliterated in the stands....but pretty sure it was 2008.

That being said...not quite ready to throw in the towel on JJ quite yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 10:31:16 AM »
God knows we've gotten our asses kicked by back up QBs before. I forgot what year it was that we knocked out LSU's QB only to get picked apart by the backup. I don't remember because I proceeded to get obliterated in the stands....but pretty sure it was 2008.

As long as you don't let JJ throw the towel.  It's likely to get picked off. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 10:48:18 AM »

Zzzzziiinnng!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »

I remember Arkansas' backup to Mallet, Clemson's backup in the overtime game, and South Carolina's backup to Garcia damn near beating us.

We have a history with making backups the most popular quarterback on the team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »
I remember Arkansas' backup to Mallet, Clemson's backup in the overtime game, and South Carolina's backup to Garcia damn near beating us.

It's the Braves syndrome.  Bring up an unknown from Double A to make his major league debut against the Braves and you can count on a 2 hit shutout.

To be fair, every game is a 2 hit shutout for the Braves this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 12:02:22 PM »

You forgot the aTm game last year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »

What he said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 05:58:23 PM »

Any backup UGA rolls out beats us. Don't tell 'em though. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 07:12:58 PM »
You forgot the aTm game last year.
I file him under "true freshmen making their first road start and playing like Joe Montana."

He's in the folder with that kid from Utah State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."