Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Ben Carson For President

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Ben Carson For President
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »
Playing Devil's Advocate here, but experience could be his hinderance. Last citizen to become President was Eisenhower which worked out ok but he had also been a general in WW2 and knew a shit ton about policy (economics and structure) and foreign policy specifically. The odds for a normal citizen to go straight to the WH are very slim. Other than that, I think hes a great guy.

Yes, I understand the odds are against him as it may seem. Like K said, the media has been leaning towards a select few. I watched a large amount of video on Carson and is the only one running that I can stomach to vote for. I would say however, Carson knowledge in the political world is not bad at all. When you have some free time, if any, do some watching. You may be surprisingly impressed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 12:34:03 PM »
One thing that bothers me is this list of candidates in of itself. I see this disdain that others here have as well but I just have to add this. I mean, is this all we have? WTF. Republicans sure have been getting their shit together since Obama won office I can tell you that. This is why I can't seem to like anyone but Carson. Sure he may not win but I can't seem to stomach anyone else to vote for except for perhaps Rubio.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 01:47:58 PM »
I have his book. Im pretty well versed in how Carson ticks. Like I said, I like the guy a lot. He's the most likeable guy on the stage IMHO. And I don't doubt he can even become well versed on things that he may not know about right now. Thats what advisers are for. Reagan had a ton of good ones. Obama has a ton. Dont expect Foxnews to allow him to remotely get close though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

chinook

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 03:08:27 PM »
I have his book. Im pretty well versed in how Carson ticks. Like I said, I like the guy a lot. He's the most likeable guy on the stage IMHO. And I don't doubt he can even become well versed on things that he may not know about right now. Thats what advisers are for. Reagan had a ton of good ones. Obama has a ton. Dont expect Foxnews to allow him to remotely get close though.

couldn't agree more...and you mentioned in another thread about being a citizen or just one of us. 

that's how I view him too. 

I can't imagine him making it much further. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 03:13:39 PM »
Dont expect Foxnews to allow him to remotely get close though.

I hope you are wrong here but I wouldn't doubt it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 03:32:07 PM »
I would not balk if he became president. Hell, I would easily vote for him.

Like he said, an intelligent person surrounds himself with intelligent people and learns quickly.

Its not like it is brain surgery.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

djsimp

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 03:56:52 PM »
http://theiowarepublican.com/2015/carson-continues-to-impress-in-iowa/

Craig Robinson
Saturday, August 8th was supposed to be the day of the Iowa Straw Poll. It was supposed to be the day when the all the Republican candidates rolled out the red carpet in Boone for potential caucus goers in an attempt to display early organizational strength and popularity. The expo fields in Boone were empty, but there were still a few presidential candidates bopping around Iowa.

The Straw Poll may have been cancelled, but that didn’t stop Dr. Ben Carson’s campaign from creating festive campaign events in Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, and Council Bluffs this past weekend. In Des Moines, the Court Avenue Bridge was transformed into a family friendly festival that would rival anything that the campaigns used to do in Ames. It was packed, it was fun, and Carson benefitted.

Carson’s campaign event included a petting zoo, food venders, a video game truck, characters from Disney movies, and live music. A giant American Flag billowed outward behind the stage on which Carson spoke for nearly 40 minutes to a crowd of at least a 1,000 people. The street wasn’t just filled up with the familiar faces you expect to see at political events, these were families and potentially new people who may have never caucused before.

While the Carson campaign was smart to put on a series of fun, family friendly events like this, Dr. Carson’s message to the crowd was even better. Carson spent a lot of time talking about his childhood, specifically what a bad student he was. He shared stories about how all his classmates said that he was the biggest dummy at his school.

Carson recounted a time when he scored a zero on a math quiz. He told the story how he passed his paper to the person behind him to grade the quiz. He knew all the kids would laugh when the teacher would ask what his score was so he decided to mumble instead and hope for the best. The teacher heard nine instead of zero, and she praised him for his good score.

He told another childhood story about when the teacher held up a rock and asked the class what it was. Carson said he waited for the smart kids to raise their hands and answer. Then he waited the dumb kids to raise their hands, and no one did. Then Carson raised his hand. The teacher called on him with amazement. Carson answered, “obsidian.” His classmates would typically laugh, but they didn’t know whether “Benny” was right or wrong, so they didn’t react. Then Carson explained that the rock is the result of lava that is cooled rapidly like when it hits water.

Carson was explaining the turning point in his life. When asked how he knew that, he explained that he had read about it in a book. His teachers then said maybe you should read books about other subjects, which he did and he quickly went from being the worst student in his class all the way to the top.

Carson then challenged everyone at the Des Moines event to pledge to take at least a half hour every day and read about something you don’t know about. Carson then reminded his audience of Thomas Jefferson’s quote of how a democracy only works if there is a well-informed public. It was a fitting and smart message to deliver to family friendly event.

This event has to be one of the best campaign events that I have attended this calendar year. As I listened to Carson and observed the attendees on Saturday night, three things came to my mind.

Ben Carson is the antithesis to Donald Trump. Both Carson and Trump draw huge crowds, both are outsiders, and both have been wildly successful in their careers, but when it comes to demeanor and the type of people they are reaching, it couldn’t be more different. That’s a good space for Carson to occupy.
Carson already polls well in Iowa and across the nation, but I think it’s safe to say that the polls probably under-represent his actual support here in Iowa. His campaign events indicate that there is a lot of interest in his candidacy where ever he goes.
Carson’s message, while it’s not long on specifics, not only connects with people but it also inspires.
The Carson campaign doesn’t seem to get the same amount of news coverage as the other campaigns do. That is probably frustrating to his team, but running a presidential campaign under the radar isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Carson is running a good campaign in Iowa. He’s been all over and drawn big crowds wherever he’s gone. If people think he’s a flash in the pan like Herman Cain was in 2012, they are wrong, and that’s probably just the wishful thinking of a competitor. Carson is in a good spot in Iowa, and there is little doubt that he will be a major factor in the caucuses next February.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 04:42:13 PM »
Carson’s campaign event included a petting zoo, food venders, a video game truck, characters from Disney movies, and live music. A giant American Flag billowed outward behind the stage on which Carson spoke for nearly 40 minutes to a crowd of at least a 1,000 people. The street wasn’t just filled up with the familiar faces you expect to see at political events, these were families and potentially new people who may have never caucused before.

Yep.  I remember when Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglass were on the campaign trail.  Abe had gotten Mickey, Minnie and Donald Duck to come to his petting zoo.  Douglass had to settle for Jimmy Neutron and the squirrel from Over the Hedge at his pickle eating contest.  Lincoln won the day and the election, obviously. 

:facepalm: :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

chinook

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
I would not balk if he became president. Hell, I would easily vote for him.

Like he said, an intelligent person surrounds himself with intelligent people and learns quickly.

Its not like it is brain surgery.

color me shocked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 06:30:28 PM »
Playing Devil's Advocate here, but experience could be his hinderance. Last citizen to become President was Eisenhower which worked out ok but he had also been a general in WW2 and knew a shit ton about policy (economics and structure) and foreign policy specifically. The odds for a normal citizen to go straight to the WH are very slim. Other than that, I think hes a great guy.
It's not like he has to be fiscally responsible. Don't think any President has been in our lifetime.
Carson offers an alternative from the norm, that's all I was saying. Fiorina was just a thought seeing how she has honed in on Hillary. Hope she gets to hang around awhile.   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »
Not sure how true, but I heard on one of the talk shows that Carson is up to 3rd in most polls now post Debate. Like someone else said, it wouldnt bother me a bit if he won. He's a decent person with a shit ton of common sense. How is that any worse than what is up there now? Or what was there before him? Those two worked out so well for us.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2015, 01:27:48 PM »
Not sure how true, but I heard on one of the talk shows that Carson is up to 3rd in most polls now post Debate. Like someone else said, it wouldnt bother me a bit if he won. He's a decent person with a shit ton of common sense. How is that any worse than what is up there now? Or what was there before him? Those two worked out so well for us.

Exactly. Not to mention he actually seems like he gives a shit about this country and not like the last few puppets. I'm tired of both the Republican and Democratic bs posers talking the same old shit. If he wins or not, I have already decided I will vote for Carson. The more Carson gets out there in the mainstream and the more people hear him, those ratings will continue to work in his favor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 03:09:06 PM »
Exactly. Not to mention he actually seems like he gives a shit about this country and not like the last few puppets. I'm tired of both the Republican and Democratic bs posers talking the same old shit. If he wins or not, I have already decided I will vote for Carson. The more Carson gets out there in the mainstream and the more people hear him, those ratings will continue to work in his favor.

If you will notice the trend in who is doing well in the polls, its outsiders. People who are either: not polticians (Carson, Trump, hell even Carly is starting to surge), havent been a politican for long (Cruz), not Ivy League aristocrats from high (Walker, who is only High School educated which makes not two shits to me). All these people have the common theme of not being in the innercircle of the Washington DC establishment club..
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 12:23:56 PM »
The more I listen to Dr. Carson, the more I keep thinking about the old saying, "Walk softly and carry a big stick"!

No, WT! Not that...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:33:26 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 12:58:28 PM »
My initial reaction during the debate was that Carson came off nervous and maybe out of his league. But after seeing more of his answers and learning more about him, I have to give him a lot of credit. I really like this guy. Someone may have already said it but, to me, he's an "outsider" only without the Trump-like meanness and namecalling that is unbecoming of a world leader, IMO. Whether he has a chance to stick around or not, I don't know. I do know that I hope he can and does.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 09:18:43 PM »
friendly