Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Here's something that will brighten your day for all you chicken littles....

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
During the game I counted 10 different plays...TOTAL that the offense ran, 10...it might be more, but not by much.  I would be willing to say that Auburn ran more plays during the A-Day game than they did last night. 

Auburn 34 ulm GOOSE EGG

Highlights:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Great vid Prowler.  Careful though or Pale Rider will accuse you of sucking coach dick.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

I am going to type this very slow.  I don't care what type of water diluted, reduced calorie, fat free gameplan was executed for this game.  The running game worked well.  The defense was stellar.  The special teams were solid to exceptional.  I expect the passing game to be better than awful. 

If they only ran ten plays, I would expect those ten plays to be run better than they were in regards to the passing game.  I am not blaming Chopper's mancrush, either QB or the wide receivers.  There is probably enough blame to go around. 

I am not panicking.  I do expect a better showing next week and I don't care how it gets done. 

Impressive, Chopper.  You knew what fellate meant.  Give yourself a gold star.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I am not blaming Chopper's mancrush, either QB or the wide receivers.

Impressive, Chopper.  You knew what fellate meant.  Give yourself a gold star.   

For those that don't know, Pale (who's lied about me sending him PM's asking if we were buddy's or not, and if he liked me) accuses me of "fellating" Franklin because I don't subscribe to his leaking pussy approach to a poor first half passing last night. 

You'll have to forgive him. We all know he just desperately wants everyone to know how snappy funny he is.  :taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
For those that don't know, Pale (who's lied about me sending him PM's asking if we were buddy's or not, and if he liked me) accuses me of "fellating" Franklin because I don't subscribe to his leaking pussy approach to a poor first half passing last night. 

You'll have to forgive him. We all know he just desperately wants everyone to know how snappy funny he is.  :taunt:
Um, I hate to get in the middle of this fun filled argument, but our passing game was horrible last night.  It was pretty apparent to everyone...under 100 yards passing...easily around 10 drops...Todd's awful decision making...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Tiger Six

Everyone already knows. 

Ok, I apologize about the BIG PM LIE.  I made that shit up.  I will not reveal the actual contents of the BIG PM, since that is apparently a mortal sin your book.  But the BIG PM did not involve those actual direct questions, which may or may not have been intimated by a previous post by me from several weeks ago.  Sorry that I apparently have damaged your reputation and kept you from getting that big job promotion.   

Damn, if I had known this was going to spill out over here and I would be called a liar in public, I would have...

not done things very much differently.

You've taken this to a personal level!  WARNING!  Back off!   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Everyone already knows. 

Ok, I apologize about the BIG PM LIE.  I made that shit up.  I will not reveal the actual contents of the BIG PM, since that is apparently a mortal sin your book.  But the BIG PM did not involve those actual direct questions, which may or may not have been intimated by a previous post by me from several weeks ago.  Sorry that I apparently have damaged your reputation and kept you from getting that big job promotion.   

Damn, if I had known this was going to spill out over here and I would be called a liar in public, I would have...

not done things very much differently.

You've taken this to a personal level!  WARNING!  Back off!   

I'll tell you what, since it's not like you can threaten me with anything other than some behind the scenes control, alt delete shit or something, and since we've gotten this handled somewhere else, why doesn't someone that can, clean up this thread back to the video.

Just a suggestion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!

It extended WAAAAY beyond the first half, Chopper.  There were only three passes thrown all night that were better than what I could have done and my shoulder's hurting. 

I don't care what kind of chocolate syrup and sprinkles you put on it.  You can call it a cupcake if you want, but I'll still know it is a turd.  A big, stinking turd. 

If we only ran 10 plays, why weren't those 10 plays polished to near perfection?  If you're only going to run a small number of things, why wouldn't you run things that you were good at?  Shouldn't those plays be run like well-oiled machines?  So why are we today talking about "rust" -- which is completely laughable anyway.  Rust, please.   Look at Southern Miss. Same situation.  New offense (spread) and some sub-par talent here and there.  What did USM do yesterday?  Ran buck-ass wild. 51 points. Scored through the air. Scored on the ground. Ran roughshod over the competition. Sure they were playing ULL. But let's look at it in relative terms. ULL is to Southern Miss as ULM is to Auburn.  At least.

So...

Why did we spend three-plus quarters looking like we didn't know the difference between our ass and a lunchbox?  Did you see either quarterback pick up the blitz and know what to do when he did? Did you see either quarterback show good fundamentals in the set up, step or throw?  Could you tell the difference between a three-step and five-step drop?  I don't care if you're running the spread or the flying wedge, there are mechanical things you have to do to make good throws.  Our QBs did not do those things. 

It was what it was.  And it was bad.  Real bad.  It was worse than bad.  I'm serious, it was among the worst offensive debuts I've ever seen.  It was painful.  And it's not something you're going to fix in a week by being "pissed" and admitting that it "sucked" as Franklin did.  I saw a TON of things the guy completely assed up last night. Mistakes made of pure hubris and others made of a confounding inability to grasp what was going on around him.  My biggest fear was that neither Franklin nor his "offense" were ready for SEC prime time. I've certainly seen nothing in either the off-season or this first outing to dissuade that.  In fact my fears are intensified. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 06:54:38 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
It was what it was.  And it was bad.  Real bad.  It was worse than bad.  I'm serious, it was among the worst offensive debuts I've ever seen.  It was painful.
Nall ball painful? Same league? Please expound.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

It extended WAAAAY beyond the first half, Chopper.  There were only three passes thrown all night that were better than what I could have done and my shoulder's hurting. 

I don't care what kind of chocolate syrup and sprinkles you put on it.  You can call it a cupcake if you want, but I'll still know it is a turd.  A big, stinking turd. 

If we only ran 10 plays, why weren't those 10 plays polished to near perfection?  If you're only going to run a small number of things, why wouldn't you run things that you were good at?  Shouldn't those plays be run like well-oiled machines?  So why are we today talking about "rust" -- which is completely laughable anyway.  Rust, please.   Look at Southern Miss. Same situation.  New offense (spread) and some sub-par talent here and there.  What did USM do yesterday?  Ran buck-ass wild. 51 points. Scored through the air. Scored on the ground. Ran roughshod over the competition. Sure they were playing ULL. But let's look at it in relative terms. ULL is to Southern Miss as ULM is to Auburn.  At least.

So...

Why did we spend three-plus quarters looking like we didn't know the difference between our ass and a lunchbox?  Did you see either quarterback pick up the blitz and know what to do when he did? Did you see either quarterback show good fundamentals in the set up, step or throw?  Could you tell the difference between a three-step and five-step drop?  I don't care if you're running the spread or the flying wedge, there are mechanical things you have to do to make good throws.  Our QBs did not do those things. 

It was what it was.  And it was bad.  Real bad.  It was worse than bad.  I'm serious, it was among the worst offensive debuts I've ever seen.  It was painful.  And it's not something you're going to fix in a week by being "pissed" and admitting that it "sucked" as Franklin did.  I saw a TON of things the guy completely assed up last night. Mistakes made of pure hubris and others made of a confounding inability to grasp what was going on around him.  My biggest fear was that neither Franklin nor his "offense" were ready for SEC prime time. I've certainly seen nothing in either the off-season or this first outing to dissuade that.  In fact my fears are intensified. 

Get it out bud.  Get it out.  Just forgive me if I think you're going completely bizirko at this point.  Sorry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Nall ball painful? Same league? Please expound.

I believe I've already expund. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Get it out bud.  Get it out.  Just forgive me if I think you're going completely bizirko at this point.  Sorry.

Agreed.  

I'm not happy with the performance either.  However, there are a lot of positives.  For one, we have a serious running game.  Eric Smith may be just enough to make our running game unstoppable.  

We got blanked by USC in 2003.  On that team, we had three future first round draft picks and Marcus McNeil, who is now dominating the NFL.  Zero points.  ZERO.  I say 300 yards rushing with 20 offensive points is pretty good.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!

Which of the following is untrue?

1) Quarterbacks looked fundamentally lost.

2) Passing offense was worse than abysmal

3) Play calling was disorganized and -- other than the running game, which would have been just fine from a traditional I or one-back set -- completely ineffective.

4) One quarterback looked like a deer in the headlights and failed to make competent decisions time after time after time.

5) The other quarterback tried to do too much on his own and looked as if he would have benefitted from additional practice time that's been given instead to the quarterback who looked better suited for another league.

6) The new OC looked disheveled, disorganized and utterly confused by what was going on around him. He stubbornly stuck to a plan that was not working at all.

7) It was so fundamentally bad that it's not something you can "tweak" to get better quickly.

8) If we ran a limited playbook, as some have suggested, why weren't those plays more polished?

To summarize, we looked rinky dink on offense.  Don't hand me "rust" or "jitters".  That's an excuse sandwich and I'm not going to take a bite. 

The patronizing shit gets old quickly.  When you have something concrete other than "It's going to be a-ok, because we won and Franklin's still the man"  let's get back to the discussion.   During the day, I've provided specifics -- everything from shockingly bad footwork and execution from the quarterbacks to receivers that seemed confused and ill-prepared" and instead of explaining to me why and how I'm wrong, I get pablum like "you're stroking out dude, we WON."  All I'm saying is that unless something changes and changes QUICKLY these discussions aren't going to come after wins down the road.  Maybe you're okay with that.  I'm not. I want to see an offense that knows how to execute and doesn't look like a ragged piece of crap.  What I saw Saturday gave me no encouragement.  Frankly, it looked like backyard ball. And I despise that.  Almost as much as I despise patronization.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

3) Play calling was disorganized and -- other than the running game, which would have been just fine from a traditional I or one-back set -- completely ineffective.

4) One quarterback looked like a deer in the headlights and failed to make competent decisions time after time after time.

5) The other quarterback tried to do too much on his own and looked as if he would have benefitted from additional practice time that's been given instead to the quarterback who looked better suited for another league.

6) The new OC looked disheveled, disorganized and utterly confused by what was going on around him. He stubbornly stuck to a plan that was not working at all.

7) It was so fundamentally bad that it's not something you can "tweak" to get better quickly.

8) If we ran a limited playbook, as some have suggested, why weren't those plays more polished?

To summarize, we looked rinky dink on offense.  Don't hand me "rust" or "jitters".  That's an excuse sandwich and I'm not going to take a bite. 

The patronizing shit gets old quickly.  When you have something concrete other than "It's going to be a-ok, because we won and Franklin's still the man"  let's get back to the discussion.   During the day, I've provided specifics -- everything from shockingly bad footwork and execution from the quarterbacks to receivers that seemed confused and ill-prepared" and instead of explaining to me why and how I'm wrong, I get pablum like "you're stroking out dude, we WON."  All I'm saying is that unless something changes and changes QUICKLY these discussions aren't going to come after wins down the road.  Maybe you're okay with that.  I'm not. I want to see an offense that knows how to execute and doesn't look like a ragged piece of crap.  What I saw Saturday gave me no encouragement.  Frankly, it looked like backyard ball. And I despise that.  Almost as much as I despise patronization.

You've got every right to feel that way.  It's all true.  However, I have confidence in Tony Franklin making adjustments.  The guy did wonders at Troy, and he gave our offense a significant boost in the 2007 bowl game.  I guess that's where my optimism is coming from.  I don't believe Franklin came to Auburn to sputter into retirement.  He could have done that with his high school clinics.  I really believe he came to Auburn to continue his coaching success at an SEC school. 

So, I'll be poe-tay-toe, and you can poe-tah-toe. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
I never like to  complain about a win, however I wonder if either one of these QB's could throw the ball in the ocean if they were standing on the  shore line.  Thank god we still have an Auburn Defense.  I'm sure things on O will get better, but we better start throwing the ball down field.  I sat in the endzone at the game and saw 8-10 wide open receivers that had gotten behind the defense and our QB's never found them.  It looked like the Qb's have been coached to go through all their progressions and have not been coached to throw the ball to any of the open ones.  JMO!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

It's not patronization killer, it's called being sane.  I can't change, and don't have connections to alter Auburn Football.  I don't think you do either, so I just choose to not pull my hair out (too late for that anyway...haha) like you're doing right now.   Seriously, you've dropped a solid 2 or 3 pages in multiple threads.  We've got it.  You asked me in an earlier situation to basically leave you alone and that you needed to "get it out".  You seem to be doing that quite successfully.  Exceeding even.

The one main flaw that I have with most of what you say, even though most if not all may be true to an extent, is that I'm not capable of making a concrete decision after one vanilla game against an opponent like ULM.  Shoot, Kodi didn't even play the second half.  Todd DID have a great drive at one point and a TD pass, so he IS capable.  Be mad all you want, I just refuse to go freaking bonkers based on this one game.

Get it out, was a suggestion I'd think you'd heed considering you asked to do it in the first place, so patronization is not the case here.

So, just get it out man, I understand your need to go nuts I guess, just forgive me if I'm not in a tizzy myself.  I'm not mad at you, or think your a jackass, just a little off the deep end as it relates to this subject today.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
My turn.  Just got back in town.  Here is my take on what happened.  First, the obvious.  Our defense looked strong, fast and mean as hell at every position.  I'm pumped about every position on that unit.  We continually rotated guys at every position all night across the line, at LB and DB.  True freshmen Thorpe and Hood were in there right off the bat and made some killer plays.

Special teams was solid all around.  Durst is a little inconsistent but once he works that out, we've got an All SEC punter on our hands.  Freakin' cannon for a leg and he hits it high.  

Offense.  I'll say it now.  Kodi should be the man and we should ride him til' he proves otherwise.  Todd looked like a 5th grader and there's no excuses for it.  Now, did either of them look worht a crap in the first half?  Hell no.  I'm not sure what the frick it was.  Neither of them EVER attempted to throw the ball more than 5 yards down field.  I have no clue if that was them, Franklin controlling that or what, but like Kevin said...it looked like backyard ball and Northview High School could have stopped that shit.  

Prior to getting hurt, Kodi began making things happen with his legs and to a certain extent, with his arm.  For those that were in attendance, two incomplete passes were both INCREDIBLE throws.  The touch pass to Rod that was called out of bounds in the end zone was beautiful.  The long pass to Slaughter that went through his hands was as awesome a pass as I've seen since 04' Jason Campbell.  And the sumbitch was thrown about 60 yards in the air.  Things finally started opening up some when we at least attempted to go down field.  

Now, two observations.  As for the 10 plays we ran, I'm 100% certain (I haven't read shit on this forum or elsewhere, except this thread) that Franklin said, "Fuck it, RUN the ball.  Do it again.  Run the fuckin' ball.  Yep, line up and do it again.  Scrap all the other shit.  RUN the ball."  We damn sure all but stopped passing for quite a while.

Second, this alternate QB system may have been half the problem.  Anyone who knows jack squat about sports knows a QB, running  back etc. has to get a feel for the game.  They have to get a rythmn going.  Even if the passing game wasn't there, Kodi could still get it going with his feet.  If he's ready against USM, I start him and ride him until he proves he can't get it done.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

My turn.  Just got back in town.  Here is my take on what happened.  First, the obvious.  Our defense looked strong, fast and mean as hell at every position.  I'm pumped about every position on that unit.  We continually rotated guys at every position all night across the line, at LB and DB.  True freshmen Thorpe and Hood were in there right off the bat and made some killer plays.

Special teams was solid all around.  Durst is a little inconsistent but once he works that out, we've got an All SEC punter on our hands.  Freakin' cannon for a leg and he hits it high.  

Offense.  I'll say it now.  Kodi should be the man and we should ride him til' he proves otherwise.  Todd looked like a 5th grader and there's no excuses for it.  Now, did either of them look worht a crap in the first half?  Hell no.  I'm not sure what the frick it was.  Neither of them EVER attempted to throw the ball more than 5 yards down field.  I have no clue if that was them, Franklin controlling that or what, but like Kevin said...it looked like backyard ball and Northview High School could have stopped that shit.  

Prior to getting hurt, Kodi began making things happen with his legs and to a certain extent, with his arm.  For those that were in attendance, two incomplete passes were both INCREDIBLE throws.  The touch pass to Rod that was called out of bounds in the end zone was beautiful.  The long pass to Slaughter that went through his hands was as awesome a pass as I've seen since 04' Jason Campbell.  And the sumbitch was thrown about 60 yards in the air.  Things finally started opening up some when we at least attempted to go down field.  

Now, two observations.  As for the 10 plays we ran, I'm 100% certain (I haven't read shit on this forum or elsewhere, except this thread) that Franklin said, "Fuck it, RUN the ball.  Do it again.  Run the fuckin' ball.  Yep, line up and do it again.  Scrap all the other shit.  RUN the ball."  We damn sure all but stopped passing for quite a while.

Second, this alternate QB system may have been half the problem.  Anyone who knows jack squat about sports knows a QB, running  back etc. has to get a feel for the game.  They have to get a rythmn going.  Even if the passing game wasn't there, Kodi could still get it going with his feet.  If he's ready against USM, I start him and ride him until he proves he can't get it done.  

Thorpe's hit was one of the game's best highlights for me.  You were right about the pass to Slaughter that was thrown deep.  Cox wouldn't have gotten that ball even close.   It was a major league throw.   The best thing about the throw to the back of the end zone, was that it was accurate and thrown off his back foot while buckling two blitzing defenders with a pump fake.  Beautiful.  So close.

We also had way to many false start penalties.  This had to be due to the change in cadences.  I suspect it will be on dominant player soon, and I look for it to be Kodi.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Y'all want to know my favorite Kodi Burns pass?  It was the one where he came within a 1/2" of hitting the back judge in the Nuts after he called Rod Smith out of bounds in the back of the endzone.  It reminded me of the Longest Yard.  I laughed for nearly 5 Minutes after that pass.  Since there wasn't a Auburn receiver anywhere close to the back of the endzone when Burns threw it, leads me to believe he did it on purpose....Fuckin' Awesome.  Right after the ref was hit, I stood up and screamed, "Call Him Out of Bounds again, Ref!!!!"  I feel that the play was so close, that if it'd been called a TD, that it would've stood.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Here's something that will brighten your day for all you chicken littles....
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 12:50:11 AM »
What happens if we look totally different next week? Serious question

Steve I thought your analysis was spot on, I will stick by the fact that I don't care who you are... you are rusty at the beginning of the season. 
              comp/att    yds           td
T. Tebow      9/14   137   9.8   1   0

I will also state that I dare anyone to get out in front of 80,000 + people and not be nervous.  Todd was so nervous out there I thought he was going to wear the field out with all the dancing.  I can also tell you emphatically that Burns needs to be the starter, and if we keep up with the QB rotation we will lose 4 games this year.  Pardon me if I don't call the Franklin experiment a bust after 2 games, although his choice in QBs is very debatable.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 11:45:58 AM by BK AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum