Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Favorite/Least Favorite Talking Head

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Favorite/Least Favorite Talking Head
« on: April 13, 2015, 01:09:18 PM »
With the departure of Dr. Drool from ESPN, life just got a little better during football season.  Everybody has an opinion about their favorite and least favorite analysts, not just on ESPN, but around sports in general.  I hear a lot of negative takes about various announcers and they usually center around a comment here or there that gives the perception that they might be biased against one school (Auburn) while schlobbing the knob of another.  (Usually Bama)

Normally, I think the claims of bias are a bit of a stretch and I honestly don't harbor the same ill will towards a lot of the same talking heads as some of you.  My hatred of Holtzphzht, as I said in the other thread, stems from #1. his being a spit launching clown that's unbearable to listen to, and 2. his hippo-critical and open disdain for Auburn, when it turns out he was not only WRONG in his opinion, but he was in fact one of the dirtiest players in the game. So, good riddance. But my takes on a few:

Verne & Gary:  I'm solidly in the minority on this pair.  My one and only gripe is with what seems like Verne's occasional lack of preparation.  It's frustrating to know your team backwards and forwards and hear him mispronounce the names of player after player.  I said occasional because I thought he did a noticeably better job this past season. Gary has always been one of my favorites.  He knows his stuff, he delivers it well and he's not afraid to say what needs to be said.  A little opinionated but I'm okay with that.  For me, this duo is the face and voice of college football.  When you hear that intro music and those two at the mic, you know it's big time, Saturday afternoon college foosballz.  Grew up with Keith Jackson doing the same.

Mike Tirico: One of the most solid all around performers in the business.  Everything from ESPN Monday Night Football, to college basketball, MLB and even hockey.  Great voice, great delivery. 

John Saunders:  Do...Not...Like.  Yes, I've heard him give some out in left field opinions on Auburn over the years, especially during the Cam deal.  But, my dislike for the man goes back to a time when he was put on the spot and asked to give his take on why Rush Limbaugh (Not a fan here, either) was skewered and fired for the comments he made while Deion Sanders and other AA commentators made far more racist jokes and comments...and Saunders refused to answer, saying he had no knowledge of the other comments.  BS!!!

Rod Bramblett:  Took several years for me to warm up to Bramblett.  I was not a fan of what seemed like him trying to copy JF.  Still not that keen on his "Touchdown Auburn" call. But since 2010, the guy has truly turned into the voice of Auburn football/basketball and in 2013, he was handed a couple of the greatest opportunities an announcer could be given...and he knocked both out of the park.  Not everyone could deliver in those situations.  He not only delivered but set his legacy in stone.

Eli Gold:  Yes, I hate you and would probably hate any Bama play by play guy.  But you suck!!!  The reason is....wait, did I mention you suck?  Anyway, how many times over the years have you been on the road, maybe traveling to or from the Plains, and you tuned in to see if you could tell what the Bama/Tennessee score was, only to be subjected to 5 minutes of some mindless, rambling story about a back up quarterback's father's trip to Honduras in the spring?  No mention of what quarter it is...who has the ball...down and distance...much less a score.  Just awful and why he's been there that long is a mystery to even Bama fans. 

Opine openly....         
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Talking Head
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »
I KNOW this will put me in the minority here, but I like Reese Davis.  He's good at the desk, and bless his heart for riding herd on Holzpth lo those many years, but the thing I like the most about Reese is that when he is calling a game, he gets genuinely excited about the action on the field.  Yes, I know he is a bammer, but to me, you can't tell.  I love that he gets into whatever game he is calling.  I have never, ever heard one word come out of his mouth that would indicate bias - he is a professional and has shown himself to be very objective.  But most of all, I love a guy that gets INTO IT when he's calling a game.  I have enjoyed listening to him and Chris Fowler do games together - I really think they mesh well, and hope they will get to do others.

I have always liked Brad Nessler's voice too - he is another traditional football announcing voice like Keith Jackson.  Brad is apparently an asshole and has caused some trouble with the ladies in the past, but speaking purely from an announcing POV, he's very good.  I wouldn't want to be his sideline girl, but whatever...

Mike Tirico - total agreeance with the caring counselor.  Does a damn fine job.

John Saunders is an arrogant fuckstick.  Cannot stand him.

Andre Ware works his ass off, traveling around to do college on Th-Sat and the Houston Texans games on the radio on Sundays, but I just don't care for his voice or his style of color call.  He puts me to sleep. 

Verne needs to be retired. He's a blathering lardball. Gary is a football savant - totally knows his stuff but he can come across as a whiny prick sometimes too.  He KNOWS he knows his stuff, and cannot stand to be contradicted. 

I do not watch ANY of the pre-game shows on the SEC Network so as to prevent exposure to that clusterfuck of bammer apologists and scumbags.  And Tebow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 01:34:41 PM »
I like Tirico, Al Micheals and Todd Blackledge. Too bad Todd is always with that Nessler jackwad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »
TL;DR original post.

Like: Gary D, Todd Blackledge, Kirk, Rece, Brian Griese, Mark May. Jessee Palmer and Pollack seem to work hard and I'm debating liking them. Corso is entertaining but can't say I appreciate his insight. Don't hate him. Mark May is good in studio. Like Booger and Fineboob on SECN.

Dislike: Vern, Brent Muskrat and double hate Matt Millen. Would prefer any of the lady college football commentators to Millen and I'm no fan of a woman play by play announcer. Although Hannah Storm can call anything, anytime she wants for me. I have a little thing for her. I mean...big.

Don't care for Desmond either. Nice guy but doesn't bring much.

Miss Jim Fyfee. Always. Had Rod as a GA and he deserves the job and has been excellent since day one, IMO.

Miss Keith Jackson.

In NFL, like Chucky, Jaws, Tom Jackson, Ditka and John Saunders.

Hate Ray Lewis and Keyshawn Johnson even though they are black.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 03:42:02 PM »
Sunday Night Baseball and Jon Miller.  Smooth delivery. 

Back on Bama for minute.  Years ago, when they first brought Snake Mugshot Stabler on, I couldn't stand the guy's voice.  Now granted, I listened to a lot more of their broadcasts during that time because that was in Shula's heyday of prime suckage.  But one thing was certain, Stabler was going to tell it like it was.  And it was glorious. 

"They just lined up and kicked our tails.  If that's as tough as we are in the trenches, we may not win another game.  We're horrible." 

Preach it, Snake. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 06:12:22 PM »
Matt Millen makes my hate list too, but I thought he was out of the broadcast booth for this coming year?

I love Todd Blackledge.  Forgot to add him.

I will never ever ever like Jesse Palmer.  What a twatwaddle.  I liked David Pollack at UGA because he played like a man possessed.  Always have a soft spot for the defensive guys who are psycho.  He tries really hard, but he's not one of the best announcers.

I deliberately didn't mention B***t M*******r.  He is the biggest bammer homer I know not named Finescum and I cannot stand him.  I feel bad for Herbie being stuck with him.  Herbie is pretty good as a color guy.  But BM can be calling a damn Rutgers - Syracuse game and will find a way to mention Turdscaloser or Da Bahr or some other tie in to bammer football.  The Corndog didn't believe me, until he started paying attention, and even he, who normally says I am a conspiracy theorist when it comes to the turds, has admitted I am right about BM and the constant humping of bammer dick. 

"Rutgers comes out in their red home uniforms. Say, you know who else wears red, Herbie?  AL- luh- BAMA, that's who!  Why, one time when the Bear was coaching..." :taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 07:26:25 PM »
Keith Jackson loved the Bahr. Loved him!
Brent Musburger loves Alabama.
I like Reece Davis okay.

Play by play guy Brad Nessler is excellent as are Mike Tirico and Gus Johnson.
Really like Todd Blackledge as an analyst.
Okay with Gary Danielson although I think Vern hurts him as an analyst.
Bob Griese knows his stuff. I like Herbie alright as well.
I 'm warming up to Jesse Palmer.

That's pretty much it. Everybody else sucks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »
The tv guys are all equally worthless.

The only value to a pbp/color tandem is found in the radio broadcast arena.

I can watch the fucking game and see what's going on.  I don't need them to spoon-feed me the details.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 08:34:07 AM »
2nd the Wench on all her choices.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 08:38:59 AM »

I can watch the fudgeing game and see what's going on.  I don't need them to spoon-feed me the details.

Truth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 08:44:36 AM »

I can watch the fucking game and see what's going on.  I don't need them to spoon-feed me the details.

You told me you liked to be spoon-fed and what was that whole thing about you in a diaper?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:55:07 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 09:02:30 AM »
Tina Weymouth could flat out shred the bass guitar, so I would have to say she was my favorite.
I really hated to hear David Byrne's voice though, except on Burnin' Down the House.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 09:04:24 AM »
You told me you liked to be spoon-fed and what was that whole thing about you in a diaper?

That's only when I watch women's tennis.

Tina Weymouth could flat out shred the bass guitar, so I would have to say she was my favorite.
I really hated to hear David Byrne's voice though, except on Burnin' Down the House.

Quality hustling.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 09:08:13 AM »
2nd the Wench on all her choices.
At least you go all out when you suck up. No sense hiding it, I guess.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:10:33 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
Hold tight wait 'til the party's over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
You people never change. It's just the same as it ever was.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 09:17:15 AM »

Translation:  The sound is usually turned down on all the TV's in the sports bar.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 09:36:08 AM »
Translation:  The sound is usually turned down on all the TV's in the sports bar.

And for that, I am grateful.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 11:35:26 AM »
You people never change. It's just the same as it ever was.

You start a conversation you can't even finish it.  You're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Tiger Wench

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 11:51:48 AM »
Now that you can pause live action on the tv, I dial up Rob and Stan and Q and Paul on the Dixie Crystal Sugar Scoreboard (that's what it will forever be to me) on the Auburn radio app.  I plug in my headphones, and synch the tv with the AU Network - the radio has about a 15-30 second delay.  I never listen to anyone but our boys call my Auburn games.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions