Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Beef Brisket Tips

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Beef Brisket Tips
« on: April 03, 2015, 11:12:04 AM »
Was in Pube Licks yesterday and they had just put out a big ole cooler of brisket.  I've only cooked a brisket a couple of times and the last was quite a while ago.  Kind of forgot the process.  I decided my Saturday will be spent doing yard work and stuff around the house while a brisket cooks low and slow. A buddy suggested the oven at 175 for about 6-7 hours, then finish it on the Egg.  I do baby backs pretty much that way...3 hours at 215-225 and then a few minutes on each side on the grill, caramelizing the sauce.

I don't have a smoker so it's oven and/or grill.  I want it ready for beer and Final 4 tip off.  Anyone have any low and slow tips?  Have you started them in the oven or would you suggest strictly indirect heat on the egg?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: Beef Brisket Tips
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 11:41:16 AM »
Was in Pube Licks yesterday and they had just put out a big ole cooler of brisket.  I've only cooked a brisket a couple of times and the last was quite a while ago.  Kind of forgot the process.  I decided my Saturday will be spent doing yard work and stuff around the house while a brisket cooks low and slow. A buddy suggested the oven at 175 for about 6-7 hours, then finish it on the Egg.  I do baby backs pretty much that way...3 hours at 215-225 and then a few minutes on each side on the grill, caramelizing the sauce.

I don't have a smoker so it's oven and/or grill.  I want it ready for beer and Final 4 tip off.  Anyone have any low and slow tips?  Have you started them in the oven or would you suggest strictly indirect heat on the egg?   

Hey cheap ass!  Go buy smoker plates for your egg and cook it at 250 degrees.  Look at 1.5 hours per pound. 

EDIT:  I prefer about 3 parts hickory to 1 part apple.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »
Hey cheap ass!  Go buy smoker plates for your egg and cook it at 250 degrees.  Look at 1.5 hours per pound. 

EDIT:  I prefer about 3 parts hickory to 1 part apple.

First off, I will cut you.  Second, 1.5 hours per pound?  That helps.  Do you marinate yours for any length of time or just rub on teh herbs and spices?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 12:11:01 PM »
First off, I will cut you.  Second, 1.5 hours per pound?  That helps.  Do you marinate yours for any length of time or just rub on teh herbs and spices?

Seriously, buy them now and thank me later.

I cut the fat cap down to about 1/4 inch.  After that I just it down and throw it on the smoker, fat cap side up.   If you have some drunk chicken stands, place them in an aluminum pan and place the brisket on top of the stands.  Once the brisket is at 185, pull it off, wrap in foil, wrap in a towel and place it in a cooler for about two hours.  While it is "resting" take the pan and pour the juices in a pot and bring to boil for a couple of minutes.  Strain the juice and you now have a dipping sauce.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 12:22:44 PM »
While your at it grab a standing rib while cheap. $7.29 here in Florida.  Then Monday $1.99 lb. Boston Butts. Yea I know a shameless plug for my company. Be nice to your meat man. It's bonus month.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »
I'm not the main grocery shopper in my household. I have a bitch that does what I tell her to. But, I was sent...I mean, I volunteered to go to Publix the other day and pick up a few items. Finished checking out and the young man hands the two bags of groceries to me in plastic bags and as bad as I hate to admit it, I fumbled.

WT doesn't fumble. But, I fumbled. Had bought a bottle of the Publix brand steak sauce that shattered. I thought I'd try it since it's so much cheaper than A1, which my family loves. Anywho, I said, "Hey, my bad. It was my fault" yadda, yadda. They still cleaned all of my other stuff up, while asking if I needed new stuff. I expected to pay for a new bottle. They gave me one.

They just have exceptional customer service, imo. And it's consistent. I like Winn Dixie too but I must say that I think that Publix is in a league of their own when it comes to the entire shopping experience.

Publix cannot, however, touch the Winn Dixie deli BBQ baked beans. Those are good for the heart.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »
I'm not the main grocery shopper in my household. I have a bitch that does what I tell her to. But, I was sent...I mean, I volunteered to go to Publix the other day and pick up a few items. Finished checking out and the young man hands the two bags of groceries to me in plastic bags and as bad as I hate to admit it, I fumbled.

WT doesn't fumble. But, I fumbled. Had bought a bottle of the Publix brand steak sauce that shattered. I thought I'd try it since it's so much cheaper than A1, which my family loves. Anywho, I said, "Hey, my bad. It was my fault" yadda, yadda. They still cleaned all of my other stuff up, while asking if I needed new stuff. I expected to pay for a new bottle. They gave me one.

They just have exceptional customer service, imo. And it's consistent. I like Winn Dixie too but I must say that I think that Publix is in a league of their own when it comes to the entire shopping experience.

Publix cannot, however, touch the Winn Dixie deli BBQ baked beans. Those are good for the heart.

It's pretty obvious that Pube Licks employees are under strict instructions to make sure they talk to and/or try to help every customer that walks by.  I do virtually all the grocery shopping for our family and not just because my wife has my ballz.  She hates it and I love it.  I keep the Pube Licks on 84 West in the Circle City in business.  They all know me by name.  Oh hey Steve, whatcha' grilling tonight?

Speaking of Winn Dixie, that used to be where I shopped.  When the Licks announced they were bringing 4 stores to Dothan, all of a sudden WD started remodeling their stores and amazingly, they were now the friendliest employees in town.  I was all like...NAW, too late fo dat. I'm hittin' da' Licks. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »
You could try this method on the grill. Instead of smoking it you could set the grill temp, after searing it and placing it in a roasting pan until it reaches the 200 F internal temp. Should make for some great sandwiches. I use this method with my smoker and everyone loves it.

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-beefiest-juiciest-brisket-what-am-the-smokyokie-method-207187

As a side I recommend Goody Girl Championship Potatoes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/goody-girl-championship-potatoes-recipe.html

And some au jus with Riesling's French bread fer sammies and sopping the juices. You could also try a Espresso BBQ sauce with the brisket. That's great shit there.

http://homemadebbqsauce.org/franklin-bbq-espresso-bbq-sauce/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:33:48 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 10:09:50 PM »

Nice distraction! How are those crab-legs working out for you?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions