Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The dean gives a cool parting gift.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
The dean gives a cool parting gift.
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:16:56 PM »
Really cool. I always thought he'd be a great guy to play for. This has me thinking that I may leave something in my will for each of you, should I go before you. Each of you will receive a bag with a little token of how I feel about you. Hint: It will not be a check.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/dean-smith-willed-dollar200-to-each-of-his-former-players/ar-AAa3482?ocid=DELLDHP

Dean Smith willed $200 to each of his former players

Larry Brown Sports

By Steve DelVecchio

If you want to know a little bit about the type of person and coach Dean Smith was, look no further than his will and trust.

Smith, a legendary North Carolina basketball coach who passed away last month at age 83, has willed $200 to each of his former players. Those who played for Smith during his 36-year tenure as head coach of the Tar Heels are all receiving a check.

Each of Smith's former players received a letter along with a check.

Dean Smith estate letter   © Twitter Dean Smith estate letter   "Each player was important and special to Coach Smith and when he prepared his estate plan, Coach wanted to reach out to each of his lettermen," the letter read. "Accordingly, coach decided that following his passing, each letterman be sent a two hundred dollar ($200.00) check with the message 'enjoy a dinner out compliments of Coach Dean Smith.' Enclosed is a check in the amount of two hundred dollars ($200.00) with the notation 'Dinner out.'

"Please enjoy your dinner out."

Goosebumps, anyone? Smith is one of the most respected coaches in the history of collegiate athletics. There’s a reason UNC took time during a game to pay tribute to him after his passing. For people like Michael Jordan, we know the money means nothing. The same cannot be said of the thought.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: The dean gives a cool parting gift.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:23:03 PM »
Smells like an NCAA violation to me. 

If they knew there would be checks upon his death it could be construed as an extra benefit.  Vacate every win for all time. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: The dean gives a cool parting gift.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 09:25:38 AM »
Smells like an NCAA violation to me. 

If they knew there would be checks upon his death it could be construed as an extra benefit.  Vacate every win for all time.

That's why wills are probated and made official AFTER DEATH.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE