Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Potential rule change for offensive lineman blocking downfield

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Potential rule change for offensive lineman blocking downfield
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:45:34 PM »
After realizing the ten second rule was bogus, now they consider this. Offensive line might be flagged for blocking downfield more than one yard

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25066037/ncaa-football-rules-committee-wants-to-test-technology

• The ineligible downfield rule was shifted from three yards to one yard past the line of scrimmage. National officiating coordinator Rogers Redding said defenses were beginning to read run more frequently because offensive linemen were 3 yards downfield and then the quarterback would pass. “It's going to be easier to officiate,” he said.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:48:33 PM by The Six »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: Potential rule change for offensive lineman blocking downfield
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:37:24 PM »
According to the proposal, if the OL is more than a yard downfield and is engaged with a defender when the pass is released, there is no penalty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 09:03:03 PM »
I'm okay with this rule change. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 09:20:32 PM »
Lucky we got that play in year before last in the Iron Bowl.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »
So, will this be called the Gus rule or is it just implied?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »
The play remains the same because the fucking Bamtards will fall for it every time. Gus will add some more wrinkles to confuse Dinkle. :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:23:54 PM »
According to the proposal, if the OL is more than a yard downfield and is engaged with a defender when the pass is released, there is no penalty.

And that's not subjective at all. Yeah, right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:43:30 PM »
And that's not subjective at all. Yeah, right.
Hell, we are passing the ball this year anyway WDE!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:33 AM »
After realizing the ten second rule was bogus, now they consider this. Offensive line might be flagged for blocking downfield more than one yard

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25066037/ncaa-football-rules-committee-wants-to-test-technology

• The ineligible downfield rule was shifted from three yards to one yard past the line of scrimmage. National officiating coordinator Rogers Redding said defenses were beginning to read run more frequently because offensive linemen were 3 yards downfield and then the quarterback would pass. “It's going to be easier to officiate,” he said.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 08:41:52 AM »

Change in illegal man downfield rule could boost defenses

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/change-illegal-man-downfield-rule-could-boost-defenses-010948370--ncaaf.html

The play still annoys many Alabama fans who are convinced it was illegal. No, not the Kick-Six that Auburn used to beat the Crimson Tide on the last play of the 2013 Iron Bowl. It was the touchdown the Tigers scored before the famous missed field goal that really burns 'Bama fans.

Auburn tied the score late in the fourth quarter when Nick Marshall flipped a pass to Sammie Coates over a defense that was drawn in by a run-blocking offensive line. A couple of Auburn linemen appear to have strayed down the field a bit farther than the 3 yards allowed on the play, but it wasn't called and the rest is history. :taunt:

Starting next season, offenses that try to confuse defenses by throwing behind run-blocking lines could have less room to work their games of deception. :taunt:

The NCAA rules committee has proposed changing the illegal man downfield penalty - Rule 7, Article 10 in the NCAA book - shortening the distance linemen can move downfield before the ball is thrown to 1 yard, which matches the NFL rule.

''I think it's a rule that the defensive coaches are going to be very excited about,'' Penn State defensive coordinator Bob Shoop said Thursday. ''Specifically, the ones that are keying hard on the offensive line for their run-pass reads. I think that's a big one right there for them.''

And, of course, offensive coaches - who fought off a proposal by the rules committee to slow down up-tempo attacks last year - see it differently.

''It's the continuation of a trend where defensive people try to change the rules rather than try to stop the advances in offense,'' said new Montana coach Bob Stitt, who used spread schemes at Division II Colorado School of Mines that were considered among the most creative in college football.

NCAA coordinator of officials Rogers Redding said Wednesday the proposal was made because it was difficult for officials to determine if a lineman had gone past the 3-yard limit before a pass was released.

The proposal still needs to be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel in March. If it does - and most do - the change would go into effect next season.

''It definitely will affect offenses that are trying to throw the ball downfield while the box is blocking run with pop passes,'' Stitt said.

Translation: If it ain't the way tha Bahr did, it ain't right and weesuh goin stomp it out. Roll Tahd!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:53:06 AM by The Six »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 09:35:33 AM »
I just knew pick plays would be banned after the 09' Iron Bowl, but apparently, they weren't.  And the rest is history.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 10:04:14 AM »
Lucky we got that play in year before last in the Iron Bowl.

I love that game. It eats bammers alive. They fume and fuss and just about have conniptions every time you bring it up. What a joyous game.

I thought after the 2010 iron bowl it couldn't get any better. But 2013 will burn them foe a long long time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 12:35:22 PM »
I'm okay with this rule change.

I would be too IF it were reviewable and not totally subjective in practice.  It will be more strenuously enforced against teams like Auburn who use these run/pass read combos. 

The fact that it's not a penalty if an OL is engaged down field has always been part of the rule.  If engaged, he could be 10 yards downfield, but that didn't stop it from getting called when it was called...which it rarely has been...up til now.  Gus' attitude, and that of other coaches about this rule was always "we'll keep doing it, and pushing the envelope until they decide to start calling it".  I suppose they had a plan in place to deal with it should it eventually start getting called. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »
I would be too IF it were reviewable and not totally subjective in practice.  It will be more strenuously enforced against teams like Auburn who use these run/pass read combos. 

The fact that it's not a penalty if an OL is engaged down field has always been part of the rule.  If engaged, he could be 10 yards downfield, but that didn't stop it from getting called when it was called...which it rarely has been...up til now.  Gus' attitude, and that of other coaches about this rule was always "we'll keep doing it, and pushing the envelope until they decide to start calling it".  I suppose they had a plan in place to deal with it should it eventually start getting called.
This might as we'll be called The Gus Rule. I'm under the impression that people are out to get Gus and Auburn. I've never seen more holding calls against a team than Auburn last year.  I think enough coaches bitched about not being able to stop his offense that the refs tried to level the playing field.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 01:43:53 PM »
This might as we'll be called The Gus Rule. I'm under the impression that people are out to get Gus and Auburn. I've never seen more holding calls against a team than Auburn last year.  I think enough coaches bitched about not being able to stop his offense that the refs tried to level the playing field.

The move has been afoot to slow down Gus' (and all the HUNH) offense for a while now.  Last year is was the "it's dangerous" argument.  Now it's the "the defense is getting fooled too much" argument.  Damn shame they didn't outlaw the Veer or Wishbone in the late 60s/early 70s due to the same reasoning.  What's next?  Outlaw play action pass?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »
Our left tackle is like a fucking ninja when it comes to the art of holding. So deceptive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 02:22:15 PM »
Our left tackle is like a fucking ninja when it comes to the art of holding. So deceptive.

Coleman studied under Royce Gracie, master of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
Coleman studied under Royce Gracie, master of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
And Frost offers a choice of standard coach (team bench) or first class (stands)
Always the gentleman.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 10:26:41 PM »
I love that game. It eats bammers alive. They fume and fuss and just about have conniptions every time you bring it up. What a joyous game.

I thought after the 2010 iron bowl it couldn't get any better. But 2013 will burn them foe a long long time.

I like hitting the older ones with 72. They always come back with the overall win total, but the out of the blue wins sticks in their craw.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'