Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

College Playoff Top 4...who gets left out?

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
College Playoff Top 4...who gets left out?
« on: December 07, 2014, 04:39:16 AM »
#1 uat vs. #4 Ohio State (7th string waterboy to play QB)

#2 Oregon vs. #3 FSU
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Re: College Playoff Top 4...who gets left out?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:31:20 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Ohio State gets left out. 

I've respected the committee's rankings all year except when TCU jumped three spots ahead of Baylor.

But that was what the committee felt was the correct ranking based on how the season was shaping up - TCU was better than Baylor and looked so good against their schedule that they were the #3 team in the country. And they just finished their season with a 55-3 beating of Iowa State.

Now back when the media and coaches were deciding shit?  Yeah, Ohio State gets in. 

Because that's the scenario ESPN was pushing late last night.  But what ESPN couldn't account for in their argument is the fact that with their actual starting quarterback, the committee felt that Ohio State was not a good enough team to be in the top 4.  How can the committee rank Ohio State higher than TCU now that Ohio State is playing a backup? 

There's also a common opponent between the two - Minnesota.  TCU blew out Minnesota 30-7.  Ohio State won 31-24. 

There's also the worthy loss by TCU, losing by three points to #6 Baylor (at Baylor) whereas Ohio State lost at home to Virginia Tech by 14 points. 

So if the committee jumps Ohio State into the top 4 and drops TCU, then college football is truly lost.

And honestly, the best argument for Ohio State is to drop undefeated Florida State from the top 4.  They're already #4, won their conference championship by two points, and have been disrespected by the committee all season.  But even that is still bullshit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 08:40:19 AM »
Have to agree.  FSU is in the top 4 and beat the #11 team.  The margin of victory doesn't matter when you beat #11.  No way in hell they get dropped out of the playoffs, especially in favor of a 1 loss team.  As much as I think that Winston is a douchebag, they deserve a shot. 

The talking heads pushing for tOSU are simply trying to create drama.  It's not going to happen, and shouldn't happen at this point.  Even the old BCS formula has the same teams in the top 4 as the committee, just a different order.  It also leaves tOSU outside of the top 4 at #5 by a pretty wide margin. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:45:27 AM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 08:54:04 AM »
Oregon
Bama
Fsu
Baylor

Buy id be fine with tcu at 4 as well.

Baylor gets my nod since they won head to head with tcu. But tcu really really blew that game badly.

Oregon avenged their only loss big time.

Fsu has 0 losses and a decent OOC schedule.

Bama lost to ole miss. Decent loss.

Baylor lost to west vagina. Decent loss.

Ohio states loss was to va tech. Ouch.

tOSU is odd man out to me with certainty. You can't all of a sudden hype them up off one game last night where Wisc shit the bed. They lost to va tech. Sheesh. That's bad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
#1 uat vs. #4 Ohio State (7th string waterboy to play QB)

#2 Oregon vs. #3 FSU
This is what having no conference championship game looks like to fans in the Big 12.

Like Danielson, I would have never moved the undefeated from the #1 spot. Yeah they have a psycho at QB but they haven't lost in two seasons. The committee leaped Alabama into the top spot then created a stir by ranking TCU ahead of Baylor with Ohio State on the outside looking in. And the potential Heisman winner and his team Oregon can't be left out.

It was bound to happen and looking the other way and hoping it would all fall into place by perching the Mississippi teams so high was when (to me at least) it started losing that esteemed feeling for the puppet show effect.
That Grove sure is a neat place.

We will see an eight team playoff in the near future. Probably won't require a committee of thirteen or twelve (minus Archie Manning) What happens this season is bound to affect how next season takes shape in everyone's eyes. Polls will still exist and serve as a reminder of the teams that failed moreso than those that did not. Big 12 gamble didn't pay off. Thanks for playing. See hostess for parting gift.

I don't disagree with anyone about the Big 12 deserving it over late blooming Ohio State.
But the premise is flawed-the same criteria cannot be applied to the Big 12 as the others.

As I recall, it was tOSU losing to MSU in the BTCG Next! that helped Auburn in it last season.
Baylor and TCU both finished 11-1 in the regular season last year. Ohio State finished 12-1.
Something's different and yet nothing's different...except that Ohio State just won the BTCG.
More deserving? IDK! 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
Bama
Oregon
TCU
FSU

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 10:37:48 AM »
The bullshit starts when SEC talking heads start yapping for two teams in a playoff with five conferences.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »

Ohio states loss was to va tech. Ouch.

I hope their overall shitty schedule keeps them out. I think they played two top 25 teams (one being Minn when they were ranked 25th) and my dream would be for the committee to come out say that weak schedules hurt your rankings.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 10:50:26 AM »

I hope their overall shitty schedule keeps them out. I think they played two top 25 teams (one being Minn when they were ranked 25th) and my dream would be for the committee to come out say that weak schedules hurt your rankings.

That's something else - will the committee release any statements or explanations? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »
That's something else - will the committee release any statements or explanations?

I say no because for the team that gets left out, that explanation will not be good enough.

If there is an explanation,  it's " because Daddy said so".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 12:05:20 PM »
I say no because for the team that gets left out, that explanation will not be good enough.

If there is an explanation,  it's " because Daddy said so".
Bottom line is tOSU (like Bama) gets better ratings.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 12:24:05 PM »
Bottom line is tOSU (like Bama) gets better ratings.

Till the second half when they are down 31 points to a good team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »

Till the second half when they are down 31 points to a good team.
They lost to MSU then Clemson last season and VaTech this season inexplicably.

Spuat lost to us, Okie then Ole Piss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »
It's all about the money.  TCU has a 3 point loss ON THE ROAD to a top ten team.  tOSU got shit kicked AT HOME to a bad VT team.  Yeah, they are the better team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: College Playoff Top 4
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 01:09:44 PM »
Alabama vs. Ohio State in Sugar.

Oregon vs. Florida State in Rose. 

Total bullshit.  Sorry.  Don't care how much Jeff Long tries to make up for it with his political response - "It's more about Ohio State than...." 

And again, Alabama has the football gods smile upon them.  TCU and Baylor get left out.  The team with the third string quarterback jump in. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 01:11:49 PM »

How could you not see this clusterfuck coming?  Is this better than the polls?  Is this better than the BCS?  Nope.  It's more fucked up than a basketball puck. 

This is the shit we're going to get.  And it fucking stinks. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »

How could you not see this clusterfuck coming?  Is this better than the polls?  Is this better than the BCS?  Nope.  It's more fucked up than a basketball puck. 

This is the shit we're going to get.  And it fucking stinks.

Imagine TCU is Texas or Oklahoma.  Think they get left out? 

It's all about money and ratings.  Always is.  Not too shabby of a business move.  Won't criticize them for that.  But in terms of fairness and competition, this is bullshit.

Jeff Long completely avoided the "Why did TCU drop from 3 to 6 in a five day period?"

They have a bullshit policy that the last ranking will ignore the previous rankings and consider the teams' entire bodies of work.  Such an easy out so that they can stick in the biggest money makers while keeping the plebes in the lesser bowls. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

Re: College Playoff Top 4
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »
Alabama vs. Ohio State in Sugar.

Oregon vs. Florida State in Rose. 

Total bullshit.  Sorry.  Don't care how much Jeff Long tries to make up for it with his political response - "It's more about Ohio State than...." 

And again, Alabama has the football gods smile upon them.  TCU and Baylor get left out.  The team with the third string quarterback jump in.
I always wanted a different committee member to explain each week but it's all too obvious why one was chosen to speak for the collective.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
I really don't get that.  The only thing that I can think of is that the committee didn't want to put up with the Big 12's bullshit.  According to the Big 12 bylaws, in the event of a tie between the top two teams, the results of the head-to-head matchup during the season will be the tie-breaker to determine the conference champion.  Only if that comparison is not available will the committee's final ranking determine a champion.  That would have went to Baylor, since they won head-to-head.  Well, isn't the point of the playoffs to let conference champions duke it out if possible?  Since TCU was in the top 4, the Big 12 said "Weeeellllll, we're going to ignore the bylaws and ignore the first parameter, and whoever is in the top 4 will be the conference champion."  So, they refused to name a conference champion.

Maybe the committee said fuck you, we're not going to settle your family squabble.  You don't give us a conference champion, then you're not going to have a team in the playoff.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:16:08 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jmar

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 03:44:58 PM »
I really don't get that.  The only thing that I can think of is that the committee didn't want to put up with the Big 12's bullshit.  According to the Big 12 bylaws, in the event of a tie between the top two teams, the results of the head-to-head matchup during the season will be the tie-breaker to determine the conference champion.  Only if that comparison is not available will the committee's final ranking determine a champion.  That would have went to Baylor, since they won head-to-head.  Well, isn't the point of the playoffs to let conference champions duke it out if possible?  Since TCU was in the top 4, the Big 12 said "Weeeellllll, we're going to ignore the bylaws and ignore the first parameter, and whoever is in the top 4 will be the conference champion."  So, they refused to name a conference champion.

Maybe the committee said fuck you, we're not going to settle your family squabble.  You don't give us a conference champion, then you're not going to have a team in the playoff.
Also ...a great number of college football fans, a few committee members and those with Big 12 connections expected tOSU and/or FSU to lose making the final 4 easy peasy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions