Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Challenge accepted

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Challenge accepted
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »
Something that worries me about our D is something Saban once said.  I hate that man with a fiery passion but I think he may be on to something here...

"at this level we don't recruit players without proper fundamentals ... there simply is not enough time to correct and/or teach proper defensive fundamentals ... everything at this point is technique" - Nick Saban

Our players had fine fundamentals against Ark and LSU. And then lost them. WTF? If talent were the lone issue, this discrepancy would not exist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 10:44:56 AM »
Bottom line is our defense isn't any better that I can see after 2 years under Ellis.

I also understand that a revolving door at coordinator gets one where UF is today.

It's a delicate balance.

Defensive recruiting doesn't appear any better than last few years. Lack of d linemen in this class makes it possibly worse.

Player development on d appears stagnant if not regressing.

These are my impressions anyway.

I'm not saying that Gus should fire Ellis Johnson. But I am saying I would definitely make changes on defense if I were HC, whether it's the DC or position coaches. Somebody is getting the axe and it would be at the end of the season, unless I see miraculous progress these last 3.

And while I'm on the subject, if many of you on here don't step up your game, I promise I will fire your sorry ass quicker than you can have a chance to beg me. Get your stuff and go. Now. There have been a plethora of shootty posts for weeks on end and I'm weary of carrying you all.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:46:46 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 10:51:04 AM »
I'm not saying that this is the answer, but we play in the toughest division in College Football, by leaps and bounds. Sometimes shit happens for better or worse.  It's the reason games are played.

It's the reason the Denver Broncos lose to the likes of St. Louis.  It's the Reason we can beat LSU 41-7 they hang on to a close one against bammer and then get blanked by a team with 17 straight loss SEC record.

Bottom line it's not always one persons fault.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:56:19 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 11:09:46 AM »
I'm not saying that this is the answer, but we play in the toughest division in College Football, by leaps and bounds. Sometimes shit happens for better or worse.  It's the reason games are played.

It's the reason the Denver Broncos lose to the likes of St. Louis.  It's the Reason we can beat LSU 41-7 they hang on to a close one against bammer and then get blanked by a team with 17 straight loss SEC record.

You are looking at shit through rainbow colored glasses batman.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »

See, I had already established a bottom line in my previous post. It's irresponsible to come in with another bottom line.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
I posted some stats last week comparing our first six weeks to the last few games where we've faced the more wide open, spread type offenses.  I thought we'd fare a good bit better against Georgia, who for the most part, comes right at you. We did!

I hear all the complaints about Ellis and the D and granted, a lot of them are justified with the way those spread teams ripped us a new one.  And no, I'm not saying we did a great job against Georgia but as bad as that game looked, they did better statistically than against MSU.  This one was solely on the offense.  Georgia had 34 points and 412 total yards.  If our offense plays even half the game they normally do, Georgia stays in the 20's and probably does good to break 300 yards.  Our offense did NOTHING. 

If you think a team with Gurley and Chubb, a senior QB with a full compliment of healthy receivers isn't going to get theirs against anyone in the nation, you've lost it.  Were there mistakes?  Sure there were.  Am I saying this is a good D and there aren't some big issues to be addressed?  Absolutely not.  But IMO, the discussion on Ellis' future isn't warranted after this game.  What you saw against Georgia was exactly what you should expect when your offense stays on the bus.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 11:19:57 AM »

For you not to see that our defense gave a 41 points to a team that struggled to put 21 on a ULM team is what I don't understand.

Am I right? Prolly not, I just know what I see.

Not saying you're wrong, but ULM holding them to 21 points was also indicative of the fact A&M tossed a freshman QB into his first start. That's tough on a team no matter how good the kid's potential. Bonehead mistakes on our part put us in a hole early but I won't discount the fact that we were also unfortunate enough to bear witness to Kyle Allen's potential in his second start.

And for anyone saying just because a shitty UF team manhandled UGA a couple weeks prior means we should have also... that's ridiculous. Florida is very talented defensively, Georgia is the most schizophrenic team in the country AND they're a different team with Gurley and Chubb rotating. Again, we were forced to bear the unfortunate timing of his return and of a Zoloft-esque upswing.

Does it mean we should have lost either of those games? No. But the timing with which we've met each of the last two opponents couldn't have been much worse. Dumb mistakes on our part have plagued us but Gus is still learning his game. And I believe he will solve the problem, whatever response that may require. For having just 2+ seasons experience at it under his belt, I find what he's accomplished this far pretty damn awesome.

I'm disappointed as anyone but I'm still on the bus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »
I posted some stats last week comparing our first six weeks to the last few games where we've faced the more wide open, spread type offenses.  I thought we'd fare a good bit better against Georgia, who for the most part, comes right at you. We did!

I hear all the complaints about Ellis and the D and granted, a lot of them are justified with the way those spread teams ripped us a new one.  And no, I'm not saying we did a great job against Georgia but as bad as that game looked, they did better statistically than against MSU.  This one was solely on the offense.  Georgia had 34 points and 412 total yards.  If our offense plays even half the game they normally do, Georgia stays in the 20's and probably does good to break 300 yards.  Our offense did NOTHING. 

If you think a team with Gurley and Chubb, a senior QB with a full compliment of healthy receivers isn't going to get theirs against anyone in the nation, you've lost it.  Were there mistakes?  Sure there were.  Am I saying this is a good D and there aren't some big issues to be addressed?  Absolutely not.  But IMO, the discussion on Ellis' future isn't warranted after this game.  What you saw against Georgia was exactly what you should expect when your offense stays on the bus.   
Numbers schmumbers. Georgia performance by the D may have been a little better but that's kind of like being a little pregnant.

The Georgia loss clearly falls on the offense because in our minds, we can't conceivably win a 7-0 game. And I agree, it's on the o.

However, there has been 3 straight years of shittastic defense and the very slight improvement last year under EJ had our hopes up for a little more this year.

It's a matter of opinion and mine is that our defensive progress is like 12 months past due.

I will be surprised if Gus doesn't make any changes, assuming we finish in similar fashion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »

I'm disappointed as anyone but I'm still on the bus.

As we all are, I think Gus has the potential to be a Major D I coach. There are problems on the defensive side.

Its time for Gus to be the head coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 11:44:05 AM »
As we all are, I think Gus has the potential to be a Major D I coach. There are problems on the defensive side.

Its time for Gus to be the head coach.

I'm as upset and disappointed as anyone at Gus right now...I mean, 7 points from the Magic Whizkid that practically invented the art of scoring quickly? Yeah, I'm a little underwhlemed. But there is no "potential" to it. He is a major D1 coach. He's one of the big boys, which makes this all the more frustrating.

But I agree - its time for Gus to coach these boys up. This is why he makes the millions. He's got some work to do with this team and its all ultimately on him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
You're god damn right. Why the fuck anyone...who was on the bus three weeks ago, is off now is beyond me...

2 or 3 fucking games that don't live up to whatever standards you guys have is bullshit.

Listen, I am disappointed with the way this shit has played out like the rest of you fuckers, but to talk about 2012 level shit is beyond fucking me...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

chinook

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 03:58:18 PM »
You are looking at shit through rainbow colored glasses batman.

I showered before he ca..wait, what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 09:41:52 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs