Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Cold 2nd Half Again, Mason Scratched

jmar

Cold 2nd Half Again, Mason Scratched
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:10:56 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/11/18/colorado-cruises-to-90-59-win-over-auburn/19209291/

No I didn't stay up and watch...but the team did.

The article notes that Shamsid-Deen wore a brace on his shoulder and went 1-8. Maybe he should have sat this one out like Mason. Not making excuses but that represents at least a third of Auburn's productivity.

This all seems more like a cross country sight seeing tour with a four hour visit to the local ER...oh and,
Hey guys, want to play some basketball? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Cold 2nd Half Again, Mason Scratched
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:56:57 AM »
I stayed up.  Watched the first few minutes, thought we hustled more than I've seen in years and actually looked like we knew what we were doing. 

Then I fell asleep. 

I thought Colorado was probably a little better and woke  up this morning looking for something like 80-75.  Never imagined 90-59.  But whatever. Game 2. 

Will get better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »
Only 8 actually logged minutes.  I'm sure they just wore out in teh second half.
I really like what I have seen out of this team so far though.  Lots of hustle on both offense and defense.  I can't wait to see them in conference action with Mason and Shamsid-Dean healthy and Attewe back for a little more presence in the middle.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:56:27 PM by Buzz Killington »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »
Looked good and competitive for 3/4 of the game. With one guy hobbled and the other guy out, that had an effect down the stretch I think. This team hustles and gives efforts. I like that. I was pleasantly suprised it was that close for that long. Colorado is a good team and it was at their place halfway across the country in the middle of the night. I aint mad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »
Honeymoon is over.  Pearl has to go.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »
There will be all kinds of pansy asses who disagree but this guy has signed a big contract and what improvements has he made?

I say give him another week at the most and them kick his ass to the curb. We need a proven Sec coach. Someone who has been there to the big dance. Someone who can recruit and motivate players. Besides, Pearl is Jewish.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »
Stupid game to sign up for.  I know it's part of bringing attention to basketball and the program, but playing a basketball game at midnight?  Why? 

And if you really want to structure the TV schedule that way, why not make two West Coast teams play at midnight?  Then Hawaii and Alaska can play at 3am.  Eastern time.  Not their own time.

All this bullshit about player safety and caring about their education and on a freaking Monday night, they have players on the court at midnight so that ESPN can make money.

Anyways, I never expected the team to win against Colorado.  They have a good, established program with lots of returning talent.  Also in their house.  Plus the midnight start.  Plus two of our best players hobbled. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 12:29:42 PM »
Stupid game to sign up for.  I know it's part of bringing attention to basketball and the program, but playing a basketball game at midnight?  Why? 

And if you really want to structure the TV schedule that way, why not make two West Coast teams play at midnight?  Then Hawaii and Alaska can play at 3am.  Eastern time.  Not their own time.

All this bullshit about player safety and caring about their education and on a freaking Monday night, they have players on the court at midnight so that ESPN can make money.

Anyways, I never expected the team to win against Colorado.  They have a good, established program with lots of returning talent.  Also in their house.  Plus the midnight start.  Plus two of our best players hobbled.

I'm good with it.  Pearl is just trying to get us any kind of exposure he can.  Although not many watched this game, when Colorado visits us it will probably be another tv game and many more eyes on it.

I also think it's a plus that Pearl worked for ESPN, and seems to have been liked by them.  Who knows?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »
Plus Auburn luck prefers the Central Time Zone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 01:08:21 PM »
I'm good with it.  Pearl is just trying to get us any kind of exposure he can.  Although not many watched this game, when Colorado visits us it will probably be another tv game and many more eyes on it.

I also think it's a plus that Pearl worked for ESPN, and seems to have been liked by them.  Who knows?

Make it a 6:00am tip off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »
Looked good and competitive for 3/4 of the game. With one guy hobbled and the other guy out, that had an effect down the stretch I think. This team hustles and gives efforts. I like that. I was pleasantly suprised it was that close for that long. Colorado is a good team and it was at their place halfway across the country in the middle of the night. I aint mad.

Same assessment.  The only thing about the second half was we were 6-33 from the floor.  Colorado got hot and was hitting everything.  It didn't help our cause that Johnson and Scott got hot and the refs didn't help our cause.  There was one point that Johnson lost his balance, not one of our players touched him and they call a foul.  Not sour grapes, but they definitely got the calling.

We get a legit shooter and big man, then we are going to be hard to stop.

I like it.  Televise us every game, especially the tougher opponents.  Win or lose those games, we make a good showing it shows recruits that we are building something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 03:12:29 PM »
Same assessment.  The only thing about the second half was we were 6-33 from the floor.  Colorado got hot and was hitting everything.  It didn't help our cause that Johnson and Scott got hot and the refs didn't help our cause.  There was one point that Johnson lost his balance, not one of our players touched him and they call a foul.  Not sour grapes, but they definitely got the calling.

We get a legit shooter and big man, then we are going to be hard to stop.

I like it.  Televise us every game, especially the tougher opponents.  Win or lose those games, we make a good showing it shows recruits that we are building something.

Agree with the likes.  On another note...and no, this has nothing to do with Pearl and more to do with Barbee doll.  Pearl is obviously stepping up our talent level in a major way and by this time next year, it could be reeeeal interesting. But remember that youngest Person kid from Brantley that neither of the two big in-state schools gave a second glance to?  True freshman for Troy lit Ole Miss up for 25 last night.

And Chuck said  :facepalm: 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »

Agree with the likes.  On another note...and no, this has nothing to do with Pearl and more to do with Barbee doll.  Pearl is obviously stepping up our talent level in a major way and by this time next year, it could be reeeeal interesting. But remember that youngest Person kid from Brantley that neither of the two big in-state schools gave a second glance to?  True freshman for Troy lit Ole Miss up for 25 last night.

And Chuck said  :facepalm:

Yeah, letting that kid get away hurt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 04:25:10 PM »
Yeah, letting that kid get away hurt.

No doubt.  Yeah, Brantley is 1A but that didn't seem to be a problem for Chuck or Wesley Person.  And some of you young bucks...you may know the names but look them up.  Both bad ass. Both had great careers at AU and both had really good NBA careers as well.  And here's the youngest Person, who was absolutely tearing it up at Brantley last year and he doesn't get a sniff.  Again, before Pearl's time.  Just a joke that Barbee wasn't all over this legacy.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 04:29:24 PM »
Here's the first part of the Dothan Eagle piece on the Troy/Ole Piss game.

TROY – Troy freshman Wesley Person put on a show with a game-high 25 points and Trojan Arena was rocking behind an energized crowd, but ultimately Ole Miss showed its experience and poise down the stretch in winning 74-64 Monday night before 3,278 fans.

“A huge thank you to the crowd,” Troy coach Phil Cunningham said. “The students were there in full force and they were enthusiastic. It was really an electric atmosphere.

“We’re probably not quite ready to beat a team like Ole Miss unless we really have a special night shooting the ball. One guy had a special night, but we’re going to be a work in progress.”

Person, a Brantley native and son of former Auburn and NBA standout Wesley Person Sr., didn’t get into his groove until the second half when he connected on 5-of-8 three-pointers in keeping the Trojans in the game. He had only five points in the first half – all on free throws.

“He showed everybody in the gym what he’s shown us from day one,” Cunningham said. “He has such a professional approach to everything he does. It’s unreal for a freshman.

“He hasn’t had one practice where I would say he had a bad practice, he wasn’t ready to go. When you approach practice like that every day and you have the ability that he has, it’s going to pay off when he hits the court.”

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 07:17:01 PM »

I am off the pearl whirl.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions