Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

I Fell On The Sword

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
I Fell On The Sword
« on: November 05, 2014, 09:45:12 AM »
We were in a restaurant last night when this ESPN E60 episode came on. Couldn't hear it but I definitely want to catch it if it comes on again.  cut/copy/pasta al.com

Cam Newton's father, Cecil, says he "willfully fell on the sword" to keep his son eligible during Auburn's run to the national championship in 2010.

The NCAA determined following a 13-month investigation that Cecil Newton, along with former Mississippi State player Kenny Rogers, sought money in exchange for Cam Newton's commitment to Mississippi State. Four years later, the Newtons again reiterated Tuesday no money exchanged hands during a segment on ESPN's E:60 program.

"There was one individual who tried to navigate the services for Cam," Cecil Newton told ESPN. "Were we promised stuff? Were we gifted with stuff of this sort? No. Never."

Cam Newton echoed his father when asked if money was exchanged.

"No, sir. No, ma'am. I apologize," he told the interviewer. "No one took money."

Cecil Newton said he and his son "bonded tighter" during the investigation, which ended with the NCAA determining Auburn and Cam Newton were innocent of any wrongdoing in the case.

"I fell on the sword," Cecil Newton said. "I willfully fell on the sword for my son. I didn't want the allegation to spread and create an environment where he was going to be disqualified to play."

Documents related to the NCAA's investigation released in November 2011 indicated Cecil Newton and Rogers sought between $120,000 and $180,000 for Cam Newton to sign with Mississippi State. Newton instead signed with Auburn in February 2010.

Cam Newton was declared ineligible twice -- Nov. 10, 2010 and  Nov. 30, 2010 -- but was reinstated in time for games against Georgia and South Carolina in the SEC Championship, respectively. The NCAA determined Rogers acted as Newton's athletic scholarship agent, but Newton was reinstated each time after Auburn successfully argued Newton was not aware of Rogers and Cecil Newton's attempt at securing a pay-for-play agreement at Mississippi State.

Mississippi State was cleared of wrongdoing and the school disassociated itself from Rogers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: I Fell On The Sword
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:43:36 AM »
Mississippi State was cleared of wrongdoing....

This is what's bullshit. They were (and still are) a low-rent Bama and have been paying players since the 80s and 90s. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »
This is what's bullshoot. They were (and still are) a low-rent Bama and have been paying players since the 80s and 90s.
In all fairness, wouldn't you have to be paid well to play for Miss State?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »

yes...and obviously a lot more than 150K.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 12:04:28 PM »
I'm guessing Dak has his retirement plan all mapped out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »

In the 90s, players lined up at the Western Union in a grocery store to get their cash on Saturday night after afternoon games in Starkville.  Jackie Sherill set that up. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.