Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Grading my Tigers

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Grading my Tigers
« on: November 03, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »
QB: Marshall gets an A. He is still throwing passes that he shouldn't and getting his balls batted (which has to be painful) but he gets her done. I'm just afraid that if these throws into 2x coverage don't cease, we are bound to pay dearly in coming weeks.

O line: A+ more push this week and a sense of urgency that's been missing.

Duke: A+ what else? He's my boy. Damn fine receiver.
Sammi: B+ Td yes and finally high pointed one for a great catch. Too many drops and not enough hops this season. Injury appears better and no more excuses. Love the kid but he's not playing to his potential. Yet.

CAP: A+. He's damn good and gritty. Plays banged up and he's in the Mason mold. Great game.

Offense: A+

Defense: B+ save it. I know we didn't tackle well and didn't cover great but those turnovers are fabulous. Keep 'em coming. Pass rush MUCH improved. Sometimes, just the hurries help. Bo running for 50 sucked but still, take away the penalties and I'd give an A.

Frost and Mckinzy get A+'s for the goal line play regardless of what happened the rest of the game.

I have spoken.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Grading my Tigers
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »
Hey I am all about the win. 

The only thing that still baffles me is 3rd down and 8, lets chuck it 40 yards down field.

Granted we converted both plays for long gains, but WTF.

and I am actually with you on the Defense, I happen to think we are doing ok.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

jmar

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »
I have very few issues with our offense at all.
Like GF I had rather see some shorter routes but I think Nick is probably better suited to flanker screens and deep balls instead of timing stuff. Still it wouldn't hurt to see our TEs to get more than one throw a game.

Two of us here are against blitzing  and here are my reasons.
We have a pretty fair run defense-we made Ole Miss a success running the ball and they suck at it.

CBs on an island...Trovon Reed is a coin flip for a flag and his best move it getting beat and saving a score by tackling a receiver. Jones is a better cover man than both Reed or Mincy -ALL are frustrated and get flagged out of frustration. Coach Johnson puts these guys in a very volatile position by continuously robbing them of their help at safety.

We understand that our DC wants to create pressure and our safeties do create pressure at times but it also forces Frost and McKinzy to cover more ground.

I'm not opposed to the blitz altogether I just think we get burned badly because we leave areas open and good OCs with a pretty good QB will find those areas.

Our guys feel we can win if we keep it close: Have heard Gus mention this countless times.
Here's an idea.-play some base D every other series just to see if we can NOT make it so close.
Make the opposition earn it.

We are exciting but we create much of it ourselves.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 04:24:44 PM »
From my perspective, the defense is always in position to make a big play...they just fail to convert about half the time or more.  If they start making those plays consistently, look out!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 10:38:17 AM »

Two of us here are against blitzing  and here are my reasons.
We have a pretty fair run defense-we made Ole Miss a success running the ball and they suck at it.

CBs on an island...Trovon Reed is a coin flip for a flag and his best move it getting beat and saving a score by tackling a receiver. Jones is a better cover man than both Reed or Mincy -ALL are frustrated and get flagged out of frustration. Coach Johnson puts these guys in a very volatile position by continuously robbing them of their help at safety.

We understand that our DC wants to create pressure and our safeties do create pressure at times but it also forces Frost and McKinzy to cover more ground.

I'm not opposed to the blitz altogether I just think we get burned badly because we leave areas open and good OCs with a pretty good QB will find those areas.
Here's the thing I get about increased blitzes. We haven't been getting pressure from the d line and we can't let these better qb's sit back there long enough to have a sandwich. We don't have the db's, esp against these taller WR's, to give them time to break open. I get that, regardless of our db situation, we have to have more pressure than we had earlier this season. We all know that Lawson's injury was costly but I had no idea that it would be as costly as it has appeared.

Our defense is much improved. Like you said about the run defense, I think it's even better. I like our chances against Gurley. But we have the potential of making an avg qb look spectacular with zero rush.

Much better against Ole Miss but like you mention, it creates space when you blitz. You don't get him, he finds the space you are burned. I'd much rather send it off the edge with a taller/faster guy. We haven't found him, yet.

I'm looking ahead here to Bama, realizing fully that we play 2 teams before them that are capable of beating us under the right circumstances. Bama will be the best d we've faced, without question in my mind. We don't bring our A game, they get some turnovers, then we are depending on our D and special teams more heavily in this game

I don't think we roll up record numbers running on them this year. We are going to have to either put the ball in the air more or play more of a field position game. I think we can stop the run against them, it's the Cooper kid that concerns me. We don't get some rush before then, then we gotta throw a lot more to keep up. When we gotta throw more, WT gets nervous. So, the way I see it is, it's blitzes or batted balls and/or throws into double coverage. Both make WT nervous but I'll take the blitzes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 04:52:38 PM »
Can anyone splain' the difference in our offense now and the issues we were complaining about 3-4 weeks ago.  Most notably, the fact that it looked like the read option appeared to be almost dysfunctional, especially compared to last year. Now, it's clicking on all cylinders.  I was happy with the performance but didn't read too much in to USCe because that just isn't a good defense.  But it was like they didn't skip a beat against one of the best defenses in the country in Ole Miss.

What is it?  Is Marshall just seeing it better?  Are he and CAP more on the same page.  The next game at QB I play will be my first...well, since me and Lee Chancellor shredded Bruce May and his ugly big brother in 6th grade.  As I understand it, the QB makes the reads and makes the decisions to take option 1, 2 or 3 based on the movement of certain defenders.  But I imagine there has to be a level of working together between the QB and running back.  If so, it looks like he and CAP have it together.  Or is it a situation where the line started gellin' like a felon?  I was so happy about Young moving back out to tackle. 

What makes this offense look like road kill against La. Tech and then a few weeks later, rip up a D like the Black Bears on the road?  I'll hang up and lissen' and Hobby Lobby,
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
I think it is as simple as the OL play really. Maybe Marshall and CAP some but mostly the OL. Every since they have started the latest version of the OL, the run game has been the shiznit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 05:05:50 PM »
What is the piece that now fits on the OL, or is it the missing piece?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 05:06:36 PM »
What is the piece that now fits on the OL, or is it the missing piece?

First name Pat last name beer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
First name Pat last name beer.

Ed Zachary.  Didn't Young replace Miller last year at tackle?  I know the corches are going to play who they feel is the best at each position but lawd-ah-mercy, I can't recall us ever doing jack squat with him at tackle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 06:07:14 PM »
Ed Zachary.  Didn't Young replace Miller last year at tackle?  I know the corches are going to play who they feel is the best at each position but lawd-ah-mercy, I can't recall us ever doing jack squat with him at tackle.
You know we don't have a player named Pat Landshark right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 06:08:32 PM »

My memory doesn't allow such an archive, however, this year it was very noticeable how the OL play was much different (better) when he was not in the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »
I think it is as simple as the OL play really. Maybe Marshall and CAP some but mostly the OL. Every since they have started the latest version of the OL, the run game has been the shiznit.

Marshall is running with more authority now.  Maybe that's confidence in the OL or comfort with CAP or the jockey digging the spurs in on the home stretch...who the fuck knows? 

This team is performing at a level at least as good as last year's squad at this point in the schedule.  They're hitting that stride.  Remember the SECCG?  Remember how Mizzou kept hanging around and how you never felt as though we'd possibly lose?  That's where this offense is heading again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 04:54:26 AM »
Interesting fact...Auburn's two losses this year are #1 MSU (won't be #1 in a couple weeks) & #2 FSU (BCS National Championship Game)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 09:40:13 AM »
This team is performing at a level at least as good as last year's squad at this point in the schedule.  They're hitting that stride.  Remember the SECCG?  Remember how Mizzou kept hanging around and how you never felt as though we'd possibly lose?  That's where this offense is heading again.

I believe this too. I was feeling this with the Ole Miss game. Even when there was the impression they had scored with just over a minute to go, I firmly believed the AU would still score for the win. I love this confidence. For the remaining games, the Faggies will get punched in the mouth right off the bat, the Dawgs were exposed by a Florida run game for 400+!!!! yards, and bama still hasn't proven anything..........

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 09:41:18 AM »
Interesting fact...Auburn's two losses this year are #1 MSU (won't be #1 in a couple weeks) & #2 FSU (BCS National Championship Game)

..........then after AU goes on to the playoffs, Auburn will get a second chance at these two teams.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »
What is it?  Is Marshall just seeing it better?  Are he and CAP more on the same page.  The next game at
I wonder if it's some or all of: Not being a true zone read earlier in the year but called plays. In other words, a dive or keeper vs making the decision on a read. Why? I assume because there is less chance involved with fake or handoff. Maybe in order to make time for everyone to get on the same page, since Cap wasn't the 1a last season and we have some new o line starters.

Also, as several have mentioned, the o line play is improving, seemingly because of the stated reasons. But I really do wonder if what we thought was zone read earlier in the season really didn't involve a read.

Regardless of the reasons, it's nice to see it working again. That's when we click. I don't ever see Marshall being a pocket passer. He can't make all of the throws Cam could but he's just as dangerous as Cam, imo. He's got the rocket and even more speed. Cam has the rocket, a little more touch and accuracy and can bulldoze your ass.

Whilst I'm thinking about it, I don't mind seeing an occasional throw into double coverage to Duke if the interception risk is inside the red zone or close. And if we are ahead or desperate, But my second biggest criticism of Marshall is that he's throwing these--and often connecting on passes that shouldn't be thrown. I cringe because the numbers say it won't always work out so well. When Duke is there, I know we have a better shot because of his ability. But I'm afraid it's going to make Marshall more likely to throw to our other guys who don't have that same ability to take the ball away from any 2 db's in the conference. Esp in the coming weeks as we face better defenses.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 11:23:17 AM »
I wonder if it's some or all of: Not being a true zone read earlier in the year but called plays. In other words, a dive or keeper vs making the decision on a read. Why? I assume because there is less chance involved with fake or handoff. Maybe in order to make time for everyone to get on the same page, since Cap wasn't the 1a last season and we have some new o line starters.

Also, as several have mentioned, the o line play is improving, seemingly because of the stated reasons. But I really do wonder if what we thought was zone read earlier in the season really didn't involve a read.

Regardless of the reasons, it's nice to see it working again. That's when we click. I don't ever see Marshall being a pocket passer. He can't make all of the throws Cam could but he's just as dangerous as Cam, imo. He's got the rocket and even more speed. Cam has the rocket, a little more touch and accuracy and can bulldoze your ass.

Whilst I'm thinking about it, I don't mind seeing an occasional throw into double coverage to Duke if the interception risk is inside the red zone or close. And if we are ahead or desperate, But my second biggest criticism of Marshall is that he's throwing these--and often connecting on passes that shouldn't be thrown. I cringe because the numbers say it won't always work out so well. When Duke is there, I know we have a better shot because of his ability. But I'm afraid it's going to make Marshall more likely to throw to our other guys who don't have that same ability to take the ball away from any 2 db's in the conference. Esp in the coming weeks as we face better defenses.

I believe WE!!! nailed this around Week 3/4. They were sandbagging the damn playbook. Pretty obvious now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 12:03:31 PM »
I believe WE!!! nailed this around Week 3/4. They were sandbagging the damn playbook. Pretty obvious now.

It seems ole Gus likes to do this even in this days as OC. I'm ok with it because it keeps the opposition guessing like a mofo. You could see his delight in unleashing some of these plays against Spurrier and Freeze.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 01:21:54 PM »

I'm more concerned with Hutson Mason going discount double check on us more than I am Nick forcing balls into double coverage. Anyway next up are the Mighty Ags. We don't want to get the cart before the horse WT.
One at a time!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions