Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week Most Depressing Ending Ever

Thoughts - Week Most Depressing Ending Ever
« on: November 04, 2014, 10:43:46 AM »
Overdue but here's a few -

Auburn

- Our offense is more consistent at this point this year compared to last year.  In 2013, our total yards were better at this point, but we ranged from 366 yards in a game to 712 yards in a game.  We also failed to gain 400+total yards in a game four times.  In 2014, our total yards are less, but we've failed to gain 400+ total yards in a game just once on a Thursday night in Manhattan, Kansas.  Our range is 359-595, but without the 359 outlier of this season, our range is 441-595. 

- Defensively, we're going backwards compared to last season.  In 2013, we started the seasons giving up 400+ yards in our first five games before establishing a better defensive presence until the 2nd half of the Georgia game.  In 2014, the most yards we gave up defensively in the first five games was 328 in game one against Arkansas.  However, after the first five games, we are now giving up 499 yards a game. 

- With that said, it seems like our front seven are doing a decent job.  Our interior linemen are doing most of the pass rushing, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but we are getting some pressure on the QB.  We just aren't finishing the sacks.  Our linebackers are getting accolades each week (even seeing some mock drafts say Frost is an early second round pick), and we're doing well when teams try to run up the middle against us. 

- Where we suck is in the secondary.  And we should have expected this.  Any time you have an underachieving wide receiver move to cornerback and start immediately no questions asked, you know you have depth issues at corner.  Throw in the fact that Whitehead's been missing for a few weeks and you've got a secondary with issues. 

- At this point, I don't expect to beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa.  I think we'll out rush Texas A&M and Georgia for fairly easy victories.  Beating Alabama will take a pretty big effort, and if we're giving up deep pass plays multiple times a game, they'll kill us with deep balls to Cooper. 

- What adjustments need to be made to help the secondary?  I really don't know if there are any.  Seems to be a talent issue and not a strategy issue.

Georgia

- Is anyone surprised?  I mean, Mark Richt is Tommy Tuberville in red.  Good guy, clean program, plays good ball, mostly stays out of trouble, and loses at least 2 games a year. 

Florida

- Do you think Florida fans are happy?  I would want Muschamp fired even if he wins out.  He's a hothead with embarrassing antics on the sideline and he hasn't been able to teach a QB to complete a pass since he got there. 

South Carolina

- Spurrier's last hurrah?  Seems like he'd have a lot of work to do to get USCe back on track.  He's about to turn 70.  Golf won't last forever on those joints, Steve. 

Crazy Scenario (Not what I want to happen by any means)

Auburn beats Texas A&M, Georgia, and loses to Alabama.
LSU beats Alabama, Texas A&M, and Arkansas. 
Alabama beats Miss State, Auburn, and loses to LSU. 
Ole Miss beats Miss State. 
EDIT - This creates a five way tie for the SEC West champ.  Alabama, Miss St, Auburn, Ole Miss, and LSU would each have two SEC losses.  SEC East opponent decides.  I think Florida though would need to beat Florida State to stay ranked higher than Georgia in the final regular season poll.   

Florida beats Vanderbilt and South Carolina
Georgia loses to Auburn.
Missouri loses to Arkansas and Tennessee. 
EDIT - Should add that this SEC East scenario turns into a three way tie, and the SEC West Opponent chooses.  If LSU is in the SEC West champion, then Florida goes. 

LSU vs. Florida in the SECCG. 

Obviously a lot would have to happen, but it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.  In fact, I'd say the matchups lead to this scenario playing out.  Only two games are a long shot - LSU over Alabama and Ole Miss (being out of contention for anything) over Miss State. 

Auburn matches up well against Georgia but not necessarily against Alabama.  Florida should steamroll Vandy and if South Carolina officially implodes, they should win that one too.  Missouri is a paper tiger, and Arkansas has been inches away from beating some of the best teams in the SEC.  Tennessee seems to be getting their shit together and gets Missouri at home for their final home game. 

Even crazier scenario -

Missouri loses to Texas A&M.  Florida loses to Florida State, beats LSU in the SECCG.  Three loss SEC champion to the playoff?  Auburn, Alabama, Miss State, or Ole Miss gets in as the two loss SEC non-divisional winner?  SEC left out completely?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:50:08 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Thoughts - Week Most Depressing Ending Ever
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »

Georgia

- Is anyone surprised?  I mean, Mark Richt is Tommy Tuberville in red.  Good guy, clean program, plays good ball, mostly stays out of trouble, and loses at least 2 games a year. 

No.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »
No.

Yeah, but he's a damn fine man, and he does things the Garrrwwwja WAY by God!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 02:38:08 PM »
No.

Yeah, have to agree with K here.  That may be the narrative, but it's light years from the truth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jmar

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 02:39:47 PM »
@ Turdtown
We can borrow a page from Ole Miss and Arky on how to best attack Alabama. They have as good a run D as they have had under Saban and their secondary is their bugaboo as well.
We also have the advantage at place kicker.

We seem to be at our best around the redzone on both sides of the ball. Our problem is when we are between the thirties on defense and Johnson is throwing the kitchen sink at 'em. This is when we are most vulnerable.

The difference in how it plays out in my estimation relies in Kiffin's play calling. And if he is allowed to get it clicking the way he can we could get in early trouble because he really spreads it around. Our guys have shown how resilient they can be countless times and in the last several games we seem to be able to create some key turnovers even as our secondary is being shreaded.

That said I think it could play out along the lines of our game with Ole Miss, in the thirties, last team with the ball.

Florida:
My opinion of Muschamp is a little different now after learning more about Jeremy Foley micromanaging the football program like it's his pet since hiring Zook who also strung out some final victories through Meyer with whom the AD shared adjoining offices. The three are eerily similar intense individuals and I'm starting to wonder if he isn't the greater part of the problem with the Gators. When and who he goes after next might tell us more about him.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »
Yeah, have to agree with K here.  That may be the narrative, but it's light years from the truth.

Agree. But I can see the "close but no cigar" comparison.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »
Agree. But I can see the "close but no cigar" comparison.

He's going to lose 2-3 every year and he's going to suspend or kick off 10-12 every year too.  No one outside of Jeff Lebo consistently has to process more players than Corch Ripped.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »
Yeah, but he's a damn fine man, and he does things the Garrrwwwja WAY by God!
He spoke at my church .... even brought his own snakes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 05:21:45 PM »
He spoke at my church .... even brought his own snakes.
I could do this forever Mitch, these snakes love me!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 05:32:48 PM »
I could do this forever Mitch, these snakes love me!
Sir, words like that have never been spoken in this room.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »
Sir, words like that have never been spoken in this room.
Praise Jesus, the venom is gone. 

I feel like I'm maintaining Mitch...am I maintaining?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »
Praise Jesus, the venom is gone. 

I feel like I'm maintaining Mitch...am I maintaining?
No you’re not, you look horrible!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »
He's going to lose 2-3 every year and he's going to suspend or kick off 10-12 every year too.  No one outside of Jeff Lebo consistently has to process more players than Corch Ripped.

Wins 1, maybe 2 that he isn't supposed to win and convincingly. And like you said, loses at least two that he should not win....and again, convincingly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE