Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

[s]Common Core[/s] "NEW" Math Problem - Please Help Me Understand

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: [s]Common Core[/s] "NEW" Math Problem - Please Help Me Understand
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 12:34:01 AM »
I think this may be the first time I encourage the Alabama edumication. What I mean is that this bs isn't in all the schools.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 09:32:53 AM »
I think this may be the first time I encourage the Alabama edumication. What I mean is that this bs isn't in all the schools.

If the Board of Education and Superintendent (Tommy Bice) have voted for it at the state level, then yes it is to a degree. In public schools anyway. One of mine has come home with this bullshit already in 2 different subjects so I can tell you its not a myth as some of those on here without kids in classrooms have said.

I have no issues with critical thinking or learning the steps of how a math problem gets resolved. But simple arithmetic is not the place for it. 32-12 = 20 and thats the end of it (3-1=2 and 2-2=0). No need to break each number out into seperate subcamps and then put them all back together in different sub sums to know that. There is only so much proof you can show for the basic order of operations. For Long Division, Fractions, Trig or higher math I can see showing each step more analytically. Thats my main burn. There is a place for showing working and using constructive methods to help solve a somewhat complex problem.  10+9 isnt that place.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:44:58 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »
Well, I have to see it but as soon as I say that, one of them will come home with it today.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 09:55:27 AM »
If the Board of Education and Superintendent (Tommy Bice) have voted for it at the state level, then yes it is to a degree. In public schools anyway. One of mine has come home with this bullshit already in 2 different subjects so I can tell you its not a myth as some of those on here without kids in classrooms have said.

I have no issues with critical thinking or learning the steps of how a math problem gets resolved. But simple arithmetic is not the place for it. 32-12 = 20 and thats the end of it (3-1=2 and 2-2=0). No need to break each number out into seperate subcamps and then put them all back together in different sub sums to know that. There is only so much proof you can show for the basic order of operations. For Long Division, Fractions, Trig or higher math I can see showing each step more analytically. Thats my main burn. There is a place for showing working and using constructive methods to help solve a somewhat complex problem.  10+9 isnt that place.

Well, I have to see it but as soon as I say that, one of them will come home with it today.
This all goes back to the fact that this is not what Common Core is. Common Core is a list of standards that apply to all subjects, not just math. And it's definitely not any specific methodology mandated for solving math problems.

If this methodology is being forced into the curriculum, it's being forced by the state board of education.

And I was never saying that this methodology in the OP was not being taught, just that he didn't take a picture of his kid's homework, and got it off of some scare tactic post on facebook.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »
This all goes back to the fact that this is not what Common Core is. Common Core is a list of standards that apply to all subjects, not just math. And it's definitely not any specific methodology mandated for solving math problems.

If this methodology is being forced into the curriculum, it's being forced by the state board of education.

And I was never saying that this methodology in the OP was not being taught, just that he didn't take a picture of his kid's homework, and got it off of some scare tactic post on facebook.
How often do you shave your pussy?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2014, 10:15:30 AM »

FWIW, mine has brought home things very close to that picture. Those pics are real. I also have a few friends that have literally taken pics of their kids homework and sent to me. Its real dude.

I believe we are in agreement on your 2nd point in re to the State Board. What isn't being said though, is that this started with Race to the Top which evolved into Common Core. Both gave away millions to states as bait to adopt the standards. Believe it or not, some of us know a little about it. I am not sure what these scare sites are you are referring to. But I do have a tiny bit of knowledge and experience with Common Core. My issue with Common Core is it doesn't address root issues of what they are trying to "fix". Everything is about a metric or a score. Or just trying to hit a number and thats what dictates a success. The big picture gets lost on these guys because they are so blinded by the federal money that gets handed out for accepting it.

Common Core method for a math problem...and yes this is in the common core curriculum for Georgia if you want to go to the states website and check it out. Each state has a handbook of methods and "progression charts". Ive read the Alabama one. If you want to get into semantics, you are correct in that the math problem itself is NOT common core exactly. But what it is - is a method of common core math standards and concepts:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:20:49 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »
FWIW, mine has brought home things very close to that picture. Those pics are real. I also have a few friends that have literally taken pics of their kids homework and sent to me. Its real dude.

I believe we are in agreement on your 2nd point in re to the State Board. What isn't being said though, is that this started with Race to the Top which evolved into Common Core. Both gave away millions to states as bait to adopt the standards. Believe it or not, some of us know a little about it. I am not sure what these scare sites are you are referring to. But I do have a tiny bit of knowledge and experience with Common Core. My issue with Common Core is it doesn't address root issues of what they are trying to "fix". Everything is about a metric or a score. Or just trying to hit a number and thats what dictates a success. The big picture gets lost on these guys because they are so blinded by the federal money that gets handed out for accepting it.

Common Core method for a math problem...and yes this is in the common core curriculum for Georgia if you want to go to the states website and check it out. Each state has a handbook of methods and "progression charts". Ive read the Alabama one. If you want to get into semantics, you are correct in that the math problem itself is NOT common core exactly. But what it is - is a method of common core math standards and concepts:

How do I get this page to turn over. I turned my monitor around but there is nothing on the back. Did it all attach? First page is interesting though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2014, 10:31:39 AM »
Im sure that pic will be disregarded as right wing tea party anti Obama bullshit just trying to scare people. Fuck it. No one wants objectivity anymore. Neither side. Everyone has their end game.

I'm simply trying to go for right vs wrong. Not left or right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2014, 10:40:03 AM »
First of all, I'm guessing TheSix saw this on facebook or some such shit followed by "Thanks Obama". I doubt sincerely that this is an actual homework problem.

Also, the first example:
___

That's not showing any methodology at all. That's just showing the problem and the answer. It's not showing that you start from the right and subtract 2-2 first and get zero, and since that's not a negative number, you don't have to cross out the three and put a little 2 above it, you can just subtract the 3-1, and get a 2. It's not showing how you arrived at 20, it's just assuming you memorized 32-12 is 20 just because it is. Contrarily, the "new math" example is going through and listing out all of the steps to get to the answer.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another about it, but I get what they're demonstrating here.

Since math is a 10-based system, 5s and 10s are easier to count by. So they're saying to start from the number you're subtracting by (12), then get to the nearest 5 (15). If you're still not at the number you're subtracting from (32), then add another 5. Now you're at 20. An even 10 number. Still not to 32, so add another 10. Now you're at 30. Now if you add another 10 or 5, you've gone over the target number of 32, so just add the two. Then it's saying you can add all of the things you added and get the answer.

I'm not saying it's not convoluted or that there's anything wrong with the "old" system of math, but I get what they're doing.

And like Townhall already explained, it has nothing to do with Common Core.

So uh, no one else is going to comment that Chizad is giving us a math lesson?

That's like Mohamed explaining Catholicism....or Snags explaining how a scrotum works.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »
So uh, no one else is going to comment that Chizad is giving us a math lesson?

That's like Mohamed explaining Catholicism....or Snags explaining how a scrotum works.

Well, its not fractions.

And in Snags defense, his scrotom used to work. It just doesn't now. So I'm sure he still knows how to operate it  - IF it were there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
This thread is only half or about 32.987% correct.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
Well, its not fractions.

And in Snags defense, his scrotom used to work. It just doesn't now. So I'm sure he still knows how to operate it  - IF it were there.

Well now wait a minute, all jokes aside about Chad's common core math skillz, Snag's scrotum still serves the purpose of being something for the rest of us to point and laugh at.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 10:53:37 AM »
Well now wait a minute, all jokes aside about Chad's common core math skillz, Snag's scrotum still serves the purpose of being something for the rest of us to point and laugh at.

Its NOT COMMON CORE!!! Snopes said so! And so did some Occupier Blogger on the Redditz. Just a bunch of anti Obama bullshit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »
Your words are hurtful
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2014, 10:57:35 AM »

The very bottom of this is what it all comes down to.

It's really not a whole hell of a lot more convoluted than the "old" system. Just different. And I see the purpose of getting kids to "understand why" the math works. And I understand that this should help them in the future with tougher math equations. Like I was saying, it's more of a 10 based system.

Really the two methods are doing the same thing. That's math for you. It all adds up the same in the end. The only difference is it's treating tens as tens (60 + 20) instead of as ones (6+2).

It's different than what we're used to, but I don't think necessarily better or worse. Just different. But if it helps kids to better understand what they're doing and why they're doing it, then I guess it is better.

I think partially this is coming out of the fact that in today's day in age, we all have calculators on us at all times in the form of cell phones. If you need to know what 62+26 is you can type it in and instantly get the results. But the real need is to better understand why 62+26= 88 in preparation for more complex math down the line.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:59:15 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2014, 10:57:42 AM »
Your words are hurtful

Hurtful your words are.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2014, 11:07:02 AM »

It's really not a whole hell of a lot more convoluted than the "old" system. Just different. And I see the purpose of getting kids to "understand why" the math works. And I understand that this should help them in the future with tougher math equations. Like I was saying, it's more of a 10 based system.

Really the two methods are doing the same thing. That's math for you. It all adds up the same in the end. The only difference is it's treating tens as tens (60 + 20) instead of as ones (6+2).

It's different than what we're used to, but I don't think necessarily better or worse. Just different. But if it helps kids to better understand what they're doing and why they're doing it, then I guess it is better.

I think partially this is coming out of the fact that in today's day in age, we all have calculators on us at all times in the form of cell phones. If you need to know what 62+26 is you can type it in and instantly get the results. But the need is to better understand why 62+26= 88 in preparation for more complex math down the line.

Point was....those problems are being taught that way and under the title of common core. Ive seen it first hand.

Agree though on the premise you are talking about. I just still think they are missing the boat on what the objective is. If you look at any explanation as to why they are doing it, test scores will be at the root. I have no issues with constructive thinking and seeing why things work. But to implement a one size fits all standard to all kids for the sake up merely hitting a mark for scores because some are embarassed that S Korea and Japan are wiping the floor with our kids as a whole....stupid. Root causes aren't being addressed. Its not the curriculum thats the issue. Asian kids do well in our schools, better than avg.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »

I think partially this is coming out of the fact that in today's day in age, we all have calculators on us at all times in the form of cell phones. If you need to know what 62+26 is you can type it in and instantly get the results. But the real need is to better understand why 62+26= 88 in preparation for more complex math down the line.

That's the problem, it doesn't for the most part.  It confuses the shit out of them and they are getting more frustrated.  Or at least that is what I overhear my teacher wife and her teacher lady friends bitch about.  But what do they know.  Those that can, do and those that can't, teach, right?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:03:40 PM by AUTiger1 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »

That's the problem, it doesn't for the most part.  It confuses the shit out of them and they are getting more frustrated.  Or at least that is what I overhear my teacher wife and her teacher lady friends bitch about.  But what do they know.  Those that can, do and those that can't, teach, right?

Guess I need to get me a job teaching common core math then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2014, 05:48:22 PM »
Mathamagic baby!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.