Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

LB's

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
LB's
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:23:56 AM »
Freshman could contribute at linebacker as Auburn rotation remains unclear

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/08/freshman_could_contribute_at_l.html
AUBURN, Alabama -- The depth chart at linebacker is fluid and uncertain at Auburn.

The starters are a certainty -- Cassanova McKinzy at middle linebacker and Kris Frost on the outside -- in the 4-2-5 scheme, but the top backup remains a mystery.

"Right now, it would not be a clear-cut, who is the third-best linebacker?" defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said Thursday, 16 days before the season opener against Arkansas.

Johnson has not yet felt comfortable with anyone beyond Frost and McKinzy, and though there are options, he's not so sure he can pinpoint a backup at either position as the Tigers approach preparations for Arkansas next week.

Johnson's take on the backups at linebacker echoed his thoughts on a 50-play scrimmage featuring mostly backups Tuesday, which he said was disappointing.

The veteran coordinator also did not appear ready to name a top backup, even if he had to play a game at that time.

"That's a good question," Johnson said of his third-best linebacker. "That's probably what I'm talking about with this scrimmage we had."

The most experienced option is junior Anthony Swain, who appeared poised to challenge for a top spot -- and potentially a starting spot -- after filling in for McKinzy last season. Swain accumulated 19 tackles, including one for a loss, and was especially impressive in spot duty against Ole Miss, when McKinzy went down with a neck injury.

"The one with the most experience is obviously Swain, and he's played in SEC football games before, so in many, many ways, he's ahead of some of those guys," Johnson said. "But there's some others who've shown some playmaking ability that  exceeds that, and they've just got to get better, they've got to get more repetition, they've got to get familiar with their scheme."

One of the linebackers who could potentially elevate to the top backup spot is freshman Tre' Williams, who had one of the top performances in a scrimmage Tuesday. The five-star recruit out of St. Paul's Episcopal in Mobile

"I thought that Tre' Williams did enough that I've got to keep him battling for the two-deep, but like I've said before, he's one of the guys that doesn't have a grasp of our system yet, so he makes typical freshman mistakes," Johnson said. "But he's shown some good playmaking ability."

Sophomore JaViere Mitchell had 13 tackles, including one for a loss, and came up with a big stop on fourth-and-goal against Arkansas last season. Mitchell, however,  missed a portion of practice earlier this week after sitting out the spring with an injured foot.

"He didn't make the progress I hoped he would make. He still makes some mistakes that are critical," Johnson said. "If he can get that down and clear those up, I think physically, he might be one of the best four I got."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

Re: LB's
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:43:15 AM »
Freshman could contribute at linebacker as Auburn rotation remains unclear

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/08/freshman_could_contribute_at_l.html
AUBURN, Alabama -- The depth chart at linebacker is fluid and uncertain at Auburn.

The starters are a certainty -- Cassanova McKinzy at middle linebacker and Kris Frost on the outside -- in the 4-2-5 scheme, but the top backup remains a mystery.

"Right now, it would not be a clear-cut, who is the third-best linebacker?" defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said Thursday, 16 days before the season opener against Arkansas.

Johnson has not yet felt comfortable with anyone beyond Frost and McKinzy, and though there are options, he's not so sure he can pinpoint a backup at either position as the Tigers approach preparations for Arkansas next week.

Johnson's take on the backups at linebacker echoed his thoughts on a 50-play scrimmage featuring mostly backups Tuesday, which he said was disappointing.

The veteran coordinator also did not appear ready to name a top backup, even if he had to play a game at that time.

"That's a good question," Johnson said of his third-best linebacker. "That's probably what I'm talking about with this scrimmage we had."

The most experienced option is junior Anthony Swain, who appeared poised to challenge for a top spot -- and potentially a starting spot -- after filling in for McKinzy last season. Swain accumulated 19 tackles, including one for a loss, and was especially impressive in spot duty against Ole Miss, when McKinzy went down with a neck injury.

"The one with the most experience is obviously Swain, and he's played in SEC football games before, so in many, many ways, he's ahead of some of those guys," Johnson said. "But there's some others who've shown some playmaking ability that  exceeds that, and they've just got to get better, they've got to get more repetition, they've got to get familiar with their scheme."

One of the linebackers who could potentially elevate to the top backup spot is freshman Tre' Williams, who had one of the top performances in a scrimmage Tuesday. The five-star recruit out of St. Paul's Episcopal in Mobile

"I thought that Tre' Williams did enough that I've got to keep him battling for the two-deep, but like I've said before, he's one of the guys that doesn't have a grasp of our system yet, so he makes typical freshman mistakes," Johnson said. "But he's shown some good playmaking ability."

Sophomore JaViere Mitchell had 13 tackles, including one for a loss, and came up with a big stop on fourth-and-goal against Arkansas last season. Mitchell, however,  missed a portion of practice earlier this week after sitting out the spring with an injured foot.

"He didn't make the progress I hoped he would make. He still makes some mistakes that are critical," Johnson said. "If he can get that down and clear those up, I think physically, he might be one of the best four I got."
Woe is me!
I gots two good tires, two maypops and no spare.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:47:12 AM »
Woe is me!
I gots two good tires, two maypops and no spare.
The "maypops" usage really shows your age.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
The "maypops" usage really shows your age.

I was impressed by the analogy!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:28:25 PM »
I was impressed by the analogy!
Well, sure. It was a good analogy. But he's obviously old.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
Well, sure. It was a good analogy. But he's obviously old.
I remember starting school and riding in my brother's '64 SS Impala listening to Motown on a huge 8 track player, mass in Latin and being invaded by the British. Listened to Dizzy Dean call Cardinal games and watched live replays of Kennedy assassinations. Yeah I'm fucking ancient.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions