Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Drago pushing for serious playing time...

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Drago pushing for serious playing time...
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »
Sploooosh

Freshman Braden Smith already has 6 of 7 traits Auburn looks for in an offensive lineman

AUBURN, Alabama -- It didn't take long for Auburn offensive line coach J.B. Grimes to heap praise on a newcomer.

Freshman offensive lineman Braden Smith has made a strong impression on coaches and teammates, and the possibility of the newcomer playing immediately this season appears to be rising.

"I think he has a chance to," Grimes said Friday.

In fact, Grimes is salivating over the possibilities in 2014 and beyond.

Smith is practicing at tackle, but it's possible he could move to guard if needed -- a spot Auburn is attempting to shore up following a season-ending back injury to starter Alex Kozan at left guard in July.

"There's no question," Grimes said of the possibility of Smith playing guard. "He's a really, really talented guy."

Grimes' adoration for Smith's playing style and abilities is hard to mask. He repeats superlatives, and shakes his head in disbelief while retelling the late recruiting pitch that landed Smith in Auburn.

In the end, however, it all makes sense. It turns out Smith's father fell in love with Auburn when his daughter, Megan, visited the Plains as a track athlete in 2011. She chose TCU, but Smith's father kept the Tigers in mind.

When Grimes came calling late in the recruiting season last fall, the decision was an easy one for the Smith family to make -- even the 12-hour drive wasn't an obstacle.

"I can't believe we got him," Grimes said last week, repeating himself again. "I can't believe we got him. I mean, that guy can play, now. I can't believe we got him, but we did."

Grimes has a checklist of seven traits he looks for in an offensive lineman. A player who possesses all seven attributes -- size, quickness, balance, strength, football IQ, character and toughness -- is usually a first-round draft pick, said the 30-year coaching veteran.

In May, well before coaching Smith, Grimes said the freshman could potentially possess all seven traits by the time the 6-foot-6, 299-pound freshman's playing career ends at Auburn.

The verdict following only one week of practices at Auburn? Well, it was somewhat shocking.

"I know right now he has six," Grimes said Friday. "I don't know about football IQ yet because I don't know how he will react in a live situation.

"Certain things happen after the ball is snapped that have to do with that football IQ. You don't know. It's kinda like being battle tested. You can do all the training exercises you want to do, but until you get in that battle -- and this isn't life or death; I don't mean to equate it to that -- but there are certain things and reactions that you make out there on the field that you can't coach. I don't know about that yet."

Smith, who benched 515 pounds in high school, arrived on campus in the summer, and has already garnered a pair of nicknames thanks to his freakish build and strength. Senior center Reese Dismukes calls the freshman "Drago" and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee prefers "The Hulk."

Fans may find out soon if Smith lives up to the billing.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/08/freshman_braden_smith_already.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

jmar

Re: Drago pushing for serious playing time...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »
Can we clone him neck beard and all?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:05:00 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »
It would be ideal if he could step in at guard and allow Avery Young to stay at his position.  I don't have a ton of faith in Patrick Miller. If he's that good, play him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:56:06 AM »
It would be ideal if he could step in at guard and allow Avery Young to stay at his position.  I don't have a ton of faith in Patrick Miller. If he's that good, play him.
But he jus a baby.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »
But he jus a baby.
I bet he's sore then. BTW, my sources say Smith is seeing time at H back. He may play there some b4 oline.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 01:14:19 PM »
If he dies.  He dies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 01:40:36 PM »
I think they should call him Deebo
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 02:00:43 PM »
I bet he's sore then. BTW, my sources say Smith is seeing time at H back. He may play there some b4 oline.

This would be crazy. Imagine the running lanes created for the RB committee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »
If he dies.  He dies.

That's what Tony Stewart said.

Too soon?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 06:13:27 PM »
That's what Tony Stewart said.

Too soon?
Stewart had been making only left turns all night.  It was time he started getting ready for the road course the next day - that's why he turned right and clipped the guy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions