Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

WR's

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
WR's
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:28:41 AM »
I can't remember the last time I was actually excited about our receiving corps!  I've also read somewhere that Duke is expected to be one and done.

By Charles Goldberg
AuburnTigers.com
AUBURN, Ala. ¯ Sammie Coates figures the days of defenses double-teaming him may be over, especially with the addition of Duke Williams and an improving receiving corps.

"It's going to be hard to double team anybody on our team. We have a lot of threats everywhere," says Coates, who led Auburn in catches last season and may be in line for more receptions this year if the Tigers follow through with the promise of an expanded passing game.

Coates averaged 21.5 yards per catch last season. Now, he's joined by a fellow 6-foot-2 receiver in Williams, the top junior college player in the country who is living up to his advance billing in preseason practice.

"He's playing real well. He's catching everything, he's running good routes. He's one of the guys you have to watch out for," Coates said.

"Duke is one of those guys who can run a 4.3. He's got speed. He's one of those guys who is smart with his body. He comes out of breaks real well."

Coates is faster, saying he runs a 4.2 40 and he measures a 44-inch vertical list. He topped a recent Fox Sports' "Freaks" list, for freaky-good athletes, for the 2014 season.

"I'm just trying to do my best and trying to help the team win. Who they think I am, I don't care about any of that," Coates said.

Receivers coach Dameyune Craig says he likes Coates' determination.

"Sammie is a totally different kid than last season. His attitude has changed. His work ethic has changed. His attention to detail has changed. He’s an unselfish player. All of them are," Craig said.

Coates is sharing the compliments, saying all the receivers have looked good. And when asked if the though Auburn had the best receiving corps in the SEC, Coates said, "I think we've got the best group in the country."

The receiving corps is so deep, Coates said, he doesn't know who is going to start.

"We don't know what how it's going to be, we're just going to rotate and see what we've got."

Craig has tried all his receivers at different positions, all but Coates, he said. Coates is a big-play wideout.

"We've got so many who can move around," Coates said. "I can move around, too, but it's just me sticking at one spot because we've got so much talent in the wide receiver room. The way we move around it's going to be hard to shut one target down and not worry about somebody else."

The guy who figures to be throwing the ball to Coates and company most of the season is Nick Marshall. Coates predicts Marshall will be better in Year Two.

"Nick came from not knowing the whole offense to knowing everything, from knowing how to read the safety, who he's got to check-down to. He's doing a great job," Coates said. "The way he's throwing the ball now, it's kind of scary."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: WR's
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 10:42:09 AM »
"Nick came from not knowing the whole offense to knowing everything, from knowing how to read the safety, who he's got to check-down to. He's doing a great job," Coates said. "The way he's throwing the ball now, it's kind of scary."

I hope that's scary good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:43:33 AM »

If this is true, (and scary means good) I may spend the entire season watching games alone, having some Mommy time...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 11:09:22 AM »
Heisman.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »
Heisman.

Only if by God Jacob Coker gets hurt
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »

Then they award the first medical hardship Heisman. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 12:57:59 PM »

Why would Coker hurt himself?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

jmar

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »
He would if Coach Saban told him to.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 01:24:42 PM »

To see if he really is like a starfish?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »
To see if he really is like a starfish?
He's a chocolate one, IMO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »
He's a chocolate one, IMO.
I hope not.  Y'all know bammer won't hire start non-white quarterbacks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
Well, yeah....that goes without saying.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 02:33:20 PM »
Melvin Ray will have a break out 7 catch year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »
Melvin Ray will have a break out 7 catch year.
Trovon Reed will only catch 2 balls this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »
Trovon Reed will only catch 2 balls this year.

I hope!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.