Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Your NCAA Compliance Don't Mean Shit No Mo'

Your NCAA Compliance Don't Mean Shit No Mo'
« on: August 07, 2014, 01:56:35 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences
INDIANAPOLIS -- The power conferences in major college sports just got a little more powerful.

More from ESPN.com
With the approval of Power 5 autonomy, it's likely the rich will get richer. But student-athletes should also benefit and that is the larger point, writes Ivan Maisel. Story

The NCAA Division I board of directors on Thursday voted to allow the 65 schools in the top five conferences to write many of their own rules. The autonomy measures -- which the power conferences had all but demanded -- will permit those leagues to decide on things such as cost-of-attendance stipends and insurance benefits for players, staff sizes, recruiting rules and mandatory hours spent on individual sports.

The power five leagues (the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12) could begin submitting their own legislation by Oct. 1 and have it enacted at the January 2015 NCAA convention in Washington, D.C. Key early issues are expected to include full cost-of-attendance stipends worth up to $5,000 per player; four-year scholarship guarantees; loosened rules involving contact between players and agents as well as outside career pursuits for players; and travel allowances for players' families to attend postseason games.

A new 80-member voting panel, which will include 15 current players, will determine policies for the five leagues. The power conferences will also carry more voting power on general NCAA matters.

Areas that will not fall under the autonomy umbrella include postseason tournaments, transfer policies, scholarship limits, signing day and rules governing on-field play.

If 75 schools from outside the power five conferences vote to override the autonomy legislation in the next 60 days, the measures would be sent back to the board of directors for further consideration. But NCAA officials don't expect that to happen. Power league commissioners have made veiled threats about breaking off to form their own division if autonomy fails.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Re: Your NCAA Compliance Don't Mean Shit No Mo'
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
What's the end game in all of this?  It's obvious the power 5 conferences aren't concerned with "student"-athletes.  They're concerned with business and football and basketball - especially football - are big business.

Will the big 5 conferences eventually ask for contracts for players?  How long will those contracts last?  It's not good business for college football teams to allow their best players go to a professional league.  Why not make it legal to keep the stars in house and boost revenue?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
What's the end game in all of this?  It's obvious the power 5 conferences aren't concerned with "student"-athletes.  They're concerned with business and football and basketball - especially football - are big business.

Will the big 5 conferences eventually ask for contracts for players?  How long will those contracts last?  It's not good business for college football teams to allow their best players go to a professional league.  Why not make it legal to keep the stars in house and boost revenue?

No...I'd say they are concerned with controlling their own affairs instead of some irrelevant overreaching governing body doing it for them. No difference, except for who will make the rules. I for one wish the NCAA would go away and fast.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
No...I'd say they are concerned with controlling their own affairs instead of some irrelevant overreaching governing body doing it for them. No difference, except for who will make the rules. I for one wish the NCAA would go away and fast.

But this does not sound like a change for the welfare of students:

The autonomy measures -- which the power conferences had all but demanded -- will permit those leagues to decide on things such as cost-of-attendance stipends and insurance benefits for players, staff sizes, recruiting rules and mandatory hours spent on individual sports.

The power five leagues (the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12) could begin submitting their own legislation by Oct. 1 and have it enacted at the January 2015 NCAA convention in Washington, D.C. Key early issues are expected to include full cost-of-attendance stipends worth up to $5,000 per player; four-year scholarship guarantees; loosened rules involving contact between players and agents as well as outside career pursuits for players; and travel allowances for players' families to attend postseason games.

It's about compensating players for their work for the school, allowing them to have more leeway in conversing and engaging in non-school affiliated affairs, and giving teams more opportunities to field the most competitive team. 

I guess I don't trust the Power 5 conference leadership to make decisions based on what's best for giving young people an education.  I suspect over time, we will see rule changes each year based on greed rather than guidance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 02:19:51 PM »
But this does not sound like a change for the welfare of students:

It's about compensating players for their work for the school, allowing them to have more leeway in conversing and engaging in non-school affiliated affairs, and giving teams more opportunities to field the most competitive team. 

I guess I don't trust the Power 5 conference leadership to make decisions based on what's best for giving young people an education.  I suspect over time, we will see rule changes each year based on greed rather than guidance.

A product of the hypocritical and suffocating NCAA. Pendelum is swinging the other way now. And there may be some greed involved here - who knows. But you have to ask this - do you trust the Big 5 admin less than you trust the NCAA? I know I don't.

I don't think the NCAA gives two shits about the student athletes. I mean, hell there really isn't much emphasis on that now. NCAA just exists to exist. Look at it this way...paying these players stipends costs the school money. Thats not really greed on the school's part. But it helps their athletes out. Maybe lets them concentrate on school and sports more rather than worrying about having any money or how to get it. Lifts morale in the process. The school doesn't mind. The players don't mind. Education won't really suffer directly because of it. So why not if thats what the schools want to do? And that is what I think they want to have control over. The NCAA is a draconian sumbitch who does things in its best interest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Re: Your NCAA Compliance Don't Mean shoot No Mo'
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 02:26:42 PM »
Get ready for the Bert and Nick "15 second wait" rule again.  :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »
Get ready for the Bert and Nick "15 second wait" rule again.  :facepalm:

And it won't pass....again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »
The POWER 5 LOGO

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:40:45 PM by TheSix »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 02:40:33 PM »
Have no idea how all this will work out but on the surface, it looks like a move in the right direction.  My question is where the money will come from because the bottom line is as long as Title IX exists, this is not confined to football players.  The perception seems to always be that we're just talking about giving big ole Shon Coleman some spending money to take his girl to the movies or Sammie Coates' parents a plane ticket to College Station.  Jane Doe on scholarship with the women's golf team also gets the same benefits.

Granted, I've only paid attention to the information put out on Auburn and Alabama but despite the mega-millions flowing through college football, the profit margins seem miniscule.  Plus, I saw where last year, Tennessee was in a deep hole financially.  How do they now provide stipends and travel money and unlimited snacks etc. to hundreds of student athletes? 

Maybe the answer lies in abolishing the NCAA and funneling that money back to the schools.  Anyone want to guess what kind of bank the NCAA is worth?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »

Its about money NOW dude.

NCAA Sponsors:

AT&T

Coca-Cola

The Hartford

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Lowe's

CapitalOne

Kraft (Planters)

Hershey's (Reese's)

LG

UPS

Nissan (Infiniti)

Unilever
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 02:43:06 PM »
#StruggleOverWit
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 02:43:54 PM »
from USA Today March 20, 2014.  Anyone want to tell me why the NCAA has all this money?

The NCAA recorded a nearly $61 million surplus for its 2013 fiscal year, according to an audited financial statement the association released Thursday.

While the surplus is smaller than those the association had in each of its two previous years, this is third consecutive year in which the annual surplus has exceeded $60 million. This increased the NCAA's year-end net assets to more than $627 million, just less than double where they stood at the end of its 2007 fiscal year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 02:44:45 PM »
A product of the hypocritical and suffocating NCAA. Pendelum is swinging the other way now. And there may be some greed involved here - who knows. But you have to ask this - do you trust the Big 5 admin less than you trust the NCAA? I know I don't.

I don't think the NCAA gives two shits about the student athletes. I mean, hell there really isn't much emphasis on that now. NCAA just exists to exist. Look at it this way...paying these players stipends costs the school money. Thats not really greed on the school's part. But it helps their athletes out. Maybe lets them concentrate on school and sports more rather than worrying about having any money or how to get it. Lifts morale in the process. The school doesn't mind. The players don't mind. Education won't really suffer directly because of it. So why not if thats what the schools want to do? And that is what I think they want to have control over. The NCAA is a draconian sumbitch who does things in its best interest.

Thank you for saving me the trouble of typing this.  Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.  On the contrary, I think this will be a huge advantage for the athletes for the reason highlighted above.  The ones who are in it for the NFL can focus on the athletics part.  The ones who are in it for the education can focus on the student part.  Both will have folding money to spend as they see fit. 

Not to mention that the coaches and ADs know better than anyone who on their team needs help, what their actual circumstances are, and what their stresses are. The university people are more likely to give a personal shit about the players than some fuckstick in the NCAA (maybe not universally, but it seems to be that way at AU).  Like the stupid hoops the NCAA made that Clemson kid jump through to be guardian his little brother when their mom died - can't even let a coach's wife drive the kid to school - that is fucked up.

It's like government - there are some issues that are best managed by the feds, and some that are best managed at a local level.  I think this is a great move. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 02:45:50 PM »
Have no idea how all this will work out but on the surface, it looks like a move in the right direction.  My question is where the money will come from because the bottom line is as long as Title IX exists, this is not confined to football players.  The perception seems to always be that we're just talking about giving big ole Shon Coleman some spending money to take his girl to the movies or Sammie Coates' parents a plane ticket to College Station.  Jane Doe on scholarship with the women's golf team also gets the same benefits.

Granted, I've only paid attention to the information put out on Auburn and Alabama but despite the mega-millions flowing through college football, the profit margins seem miniscule.  Plus, I saw where last year, Tennessee was in a deep hole financially.  How do they now provide stipends and travel money and unlimited snacks etc. to hundreds of student athletes? 

Maybe the answer lies in abolishing the NCAA and funneling that money back to the schools.  Anyone want to guess what kind of bank the NCAA is worth?

Yes....

NCAA has net assets of $627 million, say records

Steve Berkowitz, USA TODAY Sports 2:36 p.m. EDT March 20, 2014

The NCAA recorded a nearly $61 million surplus for its 2013 fiscal year, according to an audited financial statement the association released Thursday.

While the surplus is smaller than those the association had in each of its two previous years, this is third consecutive year in which the annual surplus has exceeded $60 million. This increased the NCAA's year-end net assets to more than $627 million, just less than double where they stood at the end of its 2007 fiscal year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »
Its about money NOW dude.

Has been for many, many moons. Now at least we don't have to look over the shoulder for  :hammer: because that no longer applies in an official way.

Like Mr. Plinkett once said, "This was like going to an autopsy. You know it's dead and nothing's gonna change that. But you gotta do an autopsy to figure out what killed it? Or who killed it?" 

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:52:13 PM by TheSix »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 02:50:11 PM »
It's like I copy and paste it, then someone copies and pastes it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »
Let none of us believe that what also goes away is any modicum of academic accountability. Now I know a majority of the board here considers academia a cesspool of losers who couldn't hack it in the real world (judging from the Corporate America thread in Haley). But there are people at colleges and universities who actually care about what happens to these folks when the playing days end and life begins. Their jobs just got a lot more complicated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »
It's like what keeps them up at night is what keeps you at night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »

Its like what keeps VV gay keeps Snagglebear gay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »

Its like what keeps VV gay keeps Snagglebear gay.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions