Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Penny Dreadful

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Penny Dreadful
« on: May 31, 2014, 12:01:30 PM »
Penny Dreadful

Looking for a good horror story. This has Frankenstein, vampires, werewolves, seances, Dorian Gray, Victorian England, fog, demons and all the trappings.

It also has the very intriguing Eva Green in states of undress as well as states of Victorian dress which she carries off with delicious sensuality.  Add James Bond, call girl Billie piper, josh hartnett and a few other solid characters. Craft a story about a father plumbing the underworld in search of his daughter, add some grisly special effects and a raunchy sex scene in every episode and you can't go wrong, right?

Don't be so sure.  Through three episodes the show is so slow and ponderous that I'm having a hard time staying with it.  The performances are good and Green, in particular, is captivating but it doesn't offer anything new, pontificates too much and just drags along when it should be humming with tension.

Going to stick with it for a while but it's going to have to pick up the pace.

Anybody else tried it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: Penny Dreadful
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 03:29:40 PM »
I may try it again later.  Watched the first two episodes.  Wound up playing the third in the background while doing something else because I wasn't interested enough to keep watching it.  It's not the genre or story that caused me to stop watching, but the pace, as you indicated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
I liked it...Green is fantastic I think, ( I love love love her very dry, very British humor that underlies a lot of her lines) and it's got the vibe of actual penny dreadfuls. Not sure what the hell the Dorian Gray character is for except for gratuitous sex scenes since everyone seems to find him irresistible. Don't know where it will go in Season 2...but this show was fun for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:29:14 AM »
I liked it...Green is fantastic I think, ( I love love love her very dry, very British humor that underlies a lot of her lines) and it's got the vibe of actual penny dreadfuls. Not sure what the hell the Dorian Gray character is for except for gratuitous sex scenes since everyone seems to find him irresistible. Don't know where it will go in Season 2...but this show was fun for me.

Never finished it.  Best friend and I just can't seem to make time to close it out. Lack the final three episodes.   I do want to finish it though.  It's intriguing, but it just never elevated itself to the point that we HAVE to see what happens next.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »
Best friend and I just can't seem to make time to close it out.

homosaywha?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X