Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Leftovers

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
The Leftovers
« on: June 30, 2014, 10:02:40 PM »
It's worth a watch, pretty crazy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: The Leftovers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:53:13 AM »
It's worth a watch, pretty crazy.
I watched it, I'm still confused. 2% of the World's population vanishes and no one is talking Rapture. Then, this cult group, dressed in white, standing in the middle of the driveway, not talking, just standing there smoking a cigarette...no one knows where they came from, who started it, who some of them are, why they're all living together, what's with the all white outfits, why they don't speak, even when they're getting the crap beat outta them or why they're acting like they are and no one has asked them what they were standing for or what their purpose is, apparently.
Then you have some black guy, from England, that has positioned himself as some sort of godfather figure with hot girls hanging out at a pool, eating gummy worms, all day.
Then you have packs of dogs that've resorted back to the way they were in the wild...and apparently the Sheriff has some sort of ability to connect with animals in his dreams and they apparently know where he lives, so they break in the back door and rummage through his kitchen, or whatever. There were also people that went insane, took off all their clothes, and ran into the woods, I'm guessing we'll see them in the next episode. That's it...that was the Pilot, three years after the event...still confused.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 11:20:39 AM »
Watched it and was just as confused as Prowler.

If 2% of the world population did vanish I can't imagine the world reaction being anything remotely like what was presented in this show.  Everything about it was off/wrong/weird. 

The fact that it was done by some of the people who did Lost concerns me because even though I never watched that show I'm well aware that when they were doing things on Lost they had no idea what it would eventually mean. They were making it up on the fly and as a result many of the "resolutions" were idiotic or unsatisfactory. 

I like things that are different.  Don't like formulaic in pretty much anything. Don't like chain restaurants for that reason. I like shows with the capacity to surprise me; to go in directions I wouldn't have considered. But it has to make SOME sense. 

Going to give this another episode or two but it's going to have to elevate itself above a collage of random weirdness.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:21:44 PM »
I watched it, I'm still confused. 2% of the World's population vanishes and no one is talking Rapture.

There was the one scene where the guy was preaching to people about how it wasn't the Rapture, because horrible people were taken as well.  I believe there were also a couple of brief glimpses of news segments where people were debating whether it was the Rapture or something religious, or whether science could explain it.

Plus, the show is three years after the disappearance event, so I don't think it's as hotly debated...everyone's kind of moved on although they have no clue what happened.

Regardless, if this show is anything like the book, then it's not going to be worth it...the book's ending wrapped nothing up and seemed like a cop out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Watched it and was just as confused as Prowler.

Considering the source and the history with you two...this tickled me.

I'm not sure what I think of the show quite yet...but I've only seen the first episode. HBO rarely has total duds....so we will see.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »
The second was no better than the first. 

I like weird but this may be too weird for me to care. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 11:16:30 PM »
This last episode was garbage, they need to move the story along faster.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 07:10:37 PM »
This last episode was garbage, they need to move the story along faster.

Trust me, you don't want them to move the story along faster.  Unless the show is going to deviate from the book, I have no clue how they're going to make this last for even one season, much less multiple seasons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Jumbo

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 03:21:40 AM »
Trust me, you don't want them to move the story along faster.  Unless the show is going to deviate from the book, I have no clue how they're going to make this last for even one season, much less multiple seasons.
So is the book 15 pages long?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 04:39:38 AM »
So is the book 15 pages long?

No, but it could have been.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:59:29 AM »
One word sums it up to me.....

Boring.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 09:14:07 AM »
Well I finished season one of this overly dramatic, morose, confusing show.  I still have no idea what's happening. The big season finale may have been supposed to give me some deep meaning, but it left me even more confounded than before.  It just doesn't make any sense.

And it's ponderous. 

There's going to be a season two. I'd like to watch it just to see if I can figure out what's going on but I don't know if I can suffer through it.  A person should get at least some closure over the course of a season.  Some part of the story should connect. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »
You people just do not understand British humor or culture.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »
I had Chicken some potatoes, and broccoli.  Thanks for asking
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 03:56:50 PM »
Okay, I have no idea what they're going to do with this show.  Where season one ended is where the book ended.  They've also been straying from the novel quite a bit, so it was hard to tell where they were at and how close to the ending they were until this past episode.

I'll give season two a shot, but it looks like this is going to be Lost Part Two, with the novel only being a starting point for ensuing insanity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 02:57:30 AM »
The last episode was the best so far.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »
The last episode was the best so far.

The Guilty Remnant didn't do all that shit in the book.  Completely made up.  They were much less confrontational and didn't do anything other than hold signs and then walk away.  I'm not complaining, because the rioting and burning made it a lot more interesting, but even with that added in, the last episode didn't connect any loose ends.

And that's how the book ended.  A baby appears, signifying hope and alluding to the fact that things will get better and life will go on.  But that was it.  No real explanation as to the disappearance event itself.  No real explanation as to the underlying beliefs of the Guilty Remnant (other than wanting to remind people of what happened).  Just a story that follows people's emotional reactions to an unexplained event, and then a vague suggestion at the end that things get better for them.

Also, Garvey is not the police chief in the book, but rather the mayor, and he is not crazy.  There are no supernatural sightings of holy deer, nor does the mysterious dog man appear and disappear.  So at least the show is trying to build in dramatic events and storylines that will be played out in subsequent seasons, but I'm just concerned that they're not actually going to explain any of these events or storylines.

We'll see...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 01:08:11 PM »
They were much less confrontational and didn't do anything other than hold signs and then walk away.
Except for the whole killing your roommate/partner thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »
Today I am having chicken fried rice from the other night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »
Today I am having chicken fried rice from the other night.

I had wings. Still tasted great.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.