Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

US Patent Office Cancels Trademark for Redskins

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: US Patent Office Cancels Trademark for Redskins
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 10:24:44 AM »
I had these in green. Was called Mr. Green Jeans by the bullies at school until one day I had enough and beat their ass. I've whipped a many a man's ass ever since that day.

Toughskins.  God. 

I had the turquoise blue pair and the doo-doo brown ones too.  One of the happiest days of my elementary school life was when I saved up enough money to buy my own pair of pants so I could escape the humiliation of the Toughskins. 

But of course I bought another pair of Toughskins. My money, but parents still controlled what I could and couldn't buy.  The only place I was allowed to shop was Sears. Forget that I wanted badly to go to Martins instead where the super cool, uber keen big flares with the slit butt pockets were on display. No, Sears was it.  So I got Toughskins again.  At least I was able to get a chic plaid pair. 

The outfits on those two kids reflect pretty much exactly how I dressed when I wanted to impress the ladies of the fourth grade. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »
Toughskins.  God. 

I had the turquoise blue pair and the doo-doo brown ones too.  One of the happiest days of my elementary school life was when I saved up enough money to buy my own pair of pants so I could escape the humiliation of the Toughskins. 

But of course I bought another pair of Toughskins. My money, but parents still controlled what I could and couldn't buy.  The only place I was allowed to shop was Sears. Forget that I wanted badly to go to Martins instead where the super cool, uber keen big flares with the slit butt pockets were on display. No, Sears was it.  So I got Toughskins again.  At least I was able to get a chic plaid pair. 

The outfits on those two kids reflect pretty much exactly how I dressed when I wanted to impress the ladies of the fourth grade.
Thank God I didn't have to wear the sweater vest. So, that's what happened to scar you for life.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
Thank God I didn't have to wear the sweater vest. So, that's what happened to scar you for life.
The girls pelted him with tomatoes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 06:39:12 PM »
The girls pelted him with tomatoes.

Was gettin laid in the sixth grade. And I WANTED to wear the vest.  I rocked the vest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »
Was gettin laid in the sixth grade. And I WANTED to wear the vest.  I rocked the vest.

I think we have established your dog doesn't count.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2014, 09:29:01 AM »
So does this mean I can print shirts with Redskins on them and sell them without paying royalties?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »
So does this mean I can print shirts with Redskins on them and sell them without paying royalties?

Only to kids wearing toughskins that are in the 6th grade.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »

Very good question...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »
Very good question...
Yes. It does. That's exactly the purpose. Doesn't mean they'll switch names, but it is incentive since they'll be losing tons of merchandising money.

It's fucking stupid because this is 100% whitey whitesplaining to Native Americans that they should be offended, even if they aren't.

Granted this was a decade ago, but it's the most recent data we have, and it's not like it was 60 years ago.
http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/
Most Indians Say Name of Washington “Redskins” Is Acceptable While 9 Percent Call It Offensive
Friday, September 24th, 2004

Most American Indians say that calling Washington’s professional football team the “Redskins” does not bother them, the University of Pennsylvania’s National Annenberg Election Survey shows.
Ninety percent of Indians took that position, while 9 percent said they found the name “offensive.” One percent had no answer. The margin of sampling error for those findings was plus or minus two percentage points.

Because they make up a very small proportion of the total population, the responses of 768 people who said they were Indians or Native Americans were collected over a very long period of polling, from October 7, 2003 through September 20, 2004. They included Indians from every state except Alaska and Hawaii, where the Annenberg survey does not interview. The question that was put to them was “The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesn’t it bother you?”
If the poll results were reversed, or even 51% of Native Americans were offended by the name, then change it yesterday.

Until then, this is whitey's white guilt and nothing more. To me, there's not much that's more racist than taking offense on behalf of an entire race of which you aren't even a member. Because their undeveloped inferior brains can't properly process why they should take offense in the way that our advanced white brains can, apparently according to these assholes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »
Yes. It does. That's exactly the purpose. Doesn't mean they'll switch names, but it is incentive since they'll be losing tons of merchandising money.

It's fudgeing stupid because this is 100% whitey whitesplaining to Native Americans that they should be offended, even if they aren't.

Granted this was a decade ago, but it's the most recent data we have, and it's not like it was 60 years ago.
http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/If the poll results were reversed, or even 51% of Native Americans were offended by the name, then change it yesterday.

Until then, this is whitey's white guilt and nothing more. To me, there's not much that's more racist than taking offense on behalf of an entire race of which you aren't even a member. Because their undeveloped inferior brains can't properly process why they should take offense in the way that our advanced white brains can, apparently according to these assholes.
It is amazing to me how insensitive people can be toward the injuns.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »

It's fucking stupid because this is 100% whitey whitesplaining to Native Americans that they should be offended, even if they aren't.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/If the poll results were reversed, or even 51% of Native Americans were offended by the name, then change it yesterday.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »

Not until they exhaust all of their appeals.  They still have the trademark at the moment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »

The disparagement claim was brought by a group of Native Americans.  I assume the decision was either made by an all white or primarily white panel, but no white people brought the claim on behalf of Native Americans.  You need standing to bring suit, which means you have to be the allegedly injured party.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »
What does all this have to do with jeans made of a high density fiber strong enough to make trampolines? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »
To me, there's not much that's more racist than taking offense on behalf of an entire race of which you aren't even a member.
What do you mean, "you people"?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2014, 09:44:15 PM »
The disparagement claim was brought by a group of Native Americans.  I assume the decision was either made by an all white or primarily white panel, but no white people brought the claim on behalf of Native Americans.  You need standing to bring suit, which means you have to be the allegedly injured party.
Link?

This all came about from Bob Costas and then all the Twitter hipsters following suit.

Never saw any official "disparagement claim" from any Native Americans, but I do know that less than 10% of a group that makes up less than 1% of the population gives a fuck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2014, 06:47:55 AM »
Link?

This all came about from Bob Costas and then all the Twitter hipsters following suit.

Never saw any official "disparagement claim" from any Native Americans, but I do know that less than 10% of a group that makes up less than 1% of the population gives a fuck.

Oh shit, he's doing math again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2014, 09:13:21 AM »
Link?

Never saw any official "disparagement claim" from any Native Americans, but I do know that less than 10% of a group that makes up less than 1% of the population gives a fudge.

From the original article posted:
The U.S. PTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board issued a ruling in the case, brought against the team by plaintiff Amanda Blackhorse, Wednesday morning.

Blackhorse sounds Jewish to me, you're probably right.
Or were you looking for a link to US civil procedure Vandy was referring to?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
totally unreasonable

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »
From the original article posted:
The U.S. PTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board issued a ruling in the case, brought against the team by plaintiff Amanda Blackhorse, Wednesday morning.

Blackhorse sounds Jewish to me, you're probably right.
Or were you looking for a link to US civil procedure Vandy was referring to?

Tonto Goldstein?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2014, 10:38:36 AM »
Tonto Goldstein?

He puts on a big show in court. Always wears his ceremonial headdress and yamaka.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
totally unreasonable