Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The chocolate city gets money for sandbags

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
The chocolate city gets money for sandbags
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:25:06 AM »

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin will have to pay the government more than $501,000 as a result of his conviction on bribery and other charges, a federal judge said Tuesday.

Nagin was convicted in February on 20 counts including bribery, fraud, money laundering and conspiracy during his two terms as mayor. The Democrat served from 2002 to 2010 and was known his impassioned pleas for help for the city after Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005.

Prosecutors said Nagin received more than $501,000 in money, goods and services from businessmen in exchange for lucrative work early in his tenure as mayor, and as the city sought to rebuild in the aftermath of the catastrophic hurricane. Nagin's attorney, Robert Jenkins, said the amount should be less because Nagin shared liability with others, but U.S. District Judge Helen Berrigan agreed with prosecutors in the forfeiture judgment.

The charges Nagin was convicted of carry a variety of maximum sentences ranging from three to 20 years. Nagin, 57, is set to be sentenced June 11, but he is seeking a delay. His lawyer said he needs more time to respond to a pre-sentence investigation.

In the corruption investigation of City Hall, a former city vendor was convicted and two businessmen pleaded guilty. Nagin's former technology chief also pleaded guilty in connection with the case and testified against Nagin.

Nagin was indicted three years after he left office. At his trial, Nagin testified that key witnesses lied and prosecutors misinterpreted evidence including emails, checks and pages from his appointment calendar linking him to businessmen who said they bribed him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: The chocolate city gets money for sandbags
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:32:03 AM »
Just more New Orleans cheating.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:05:03 AM »
He'll never pay a dime of that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:52:14 AM »
Color me shocked that a straight laced guy like Nagin would be involved in such shenanigans.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.