Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Dameyune honored...

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Dameyune honored...
« on: May 26, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »
If you remember seeing him play, which I'm sure that most of you do, he was one of the more talented QB's you have seen at AU. At least that's what I believe. And although he pissed me off by doing his job so well while at FSU, the dude can recruit. I have no idea how good of an on the field coach he is but I suspect he's good at that too. Based on improved route running and blocking, I think our receivers are improving. Catching the ball hasn't been where it needs to be but I don't know how you coach that. I think you recruit it. And he is.

Dude is a baller. Congrats to DC.

It must be his lucky day: Dameyune Craig enters Mobile Sports Hall of Fame on anniversary of historic performance

Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com By  Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com   
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 23, 2014 at 1:09 AM, updated May 23, 2014 at 1:16 AM

MOBILE, Alabama - On his way upstairs at the Battle House Hotel on Thursday night for the Mobile Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Banquet, Auburn assistant football coach and Class of 2014 member Dameyune Craig was asked if he knew what he was doing exactly 15 years ago.

The two-time state championship quarterback at Blount High School thought back to May 22, 1999.

"I would have been in NFL Europe," he surmised. "That's not the day I threw for 600 yards, was it?"

Yes, it was. And it was a pro football-record 611 yards, to be precise.

"Let me mark this date down," Craig said after his suspicion was confirmed. "This must be good luck for me."

After a record-setting collegiate career at Auburn, Craig was trying to make it in the NFL with the Carolina Panthers, who sent him to play for the Scottish Claymores in NFL Europe.

Craig and the Claymores were in Germany to face the Frankfurt Galaxy, who already had scored an overtime victory against them in Edinburgh earlier in the season.

"I just remember I didn't know I threw for that many yards," Craig said of his historic game. "I was caught up in the moment, and we were competing. It was a game I really wanted to win win because they beat us two weeks prior to that."

Craig led the Claymores to a 42-35 victory by completing 27 of 37 passes, averaging 22.6 yards per completion, with five TD tosses. The Claymores' Donald Sellers set an NFL Europe receiving record in the game by gaining 264 yards on nine catches.

Craig's jersey was sent off to the Pro Football Hall of Fame to mark the event. However, after the game, Craig was quoted as saying: "I may have had some big numbers, but I also had two turnovers that could have cost us the game. You have to look for perfection with regards to the overall game plan, and I could have done better. As far as the passing, I think I played pretty close to perfection, although I did turn the ball over twice, which could have hurt the team."

On Thursday night, Craig recalled something else disappointing about his record-breaking game.

"My teammate at Auburn, Willie Whitehead, had ended that (previous) game with a sack," Craig said, "and he'd broken his foot doing a celebration dance. I was looking forward to playing him again, but he wasn't able to play."

Craig joined the Mobile Sports Hall of Fame on Thursday night along with Casey Converse, Charlie "Home Run" Duffee, Lauretta Freeman-Horn, Sam Pettaway and the 1988 Vigor High School football team.

Thursday was a big day in more ways than one for Craig, who said during his induction speech: "I was able today to make good on a promise I made a long time ago to purchase my momma a house."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Dameyune honored...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:13:02 AM »
He was too early. His style of play would be coveted today.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »
HE was the man.  To bad we didn't have an offensive line.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »
HE was the man.  To bad we didn't have an offensive line.
Oh, it was offensive...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

jmar

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 06:24:47 PM »
Condredge Holloway was the only SEC dual threat QB that would compare.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 06:36:59 PM »
Condredge Holloway was the only SEC dual threat QB that would compare ever made me wet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 07:26:50 PM »

I was at Legion Field the day they lost to Alabama 49-26 and knew it was over at the half watching UT's linemen exit the field at halftime...it had to be 95 fucking degrees-but it was the single best performance I had ever witnessed from a QB. Dameuyune was the only other I have seen with that body-type that would compare in elusiveness.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions