Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Center Darryl Williams may get on the Gus Bus

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Center Darryl Williams may get on the Gus Bus
« on: May 07, 2014, 05:16:35 PM »
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn offers Bessemer City OL Darryl Williams
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/05/auburn_coach_gus_malzahn_offer.html
Print
Jeff Sentell | jsentell@al.com By  Jeff Sentell | jsentell@al.com   
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 07, 2014 at 10:30 AM, updated May 07, 2014 at 11:11 AM

BESSEMER, Alabama -- Bessemer City coach Martez Edwards told AL.com this morning that Class of 2015 offensive line recruit Darryl Williams got an offer from Auburn coach Gus Malzahn.

Malzahn called Edwards on Wednesday morning and offered Williams. The 6-foot-3, 295-pounder plays tackle for the Purple Tigers but projects as a center or an offensive lineman at the next level.

"He told me he was offering Darryl a scholarship," Edwards said. "He (Darryl) was happy about it and he's going through the process right now with it. He knows he now has to sit down and figure out the best decision for him."

Edwards said he didn't think Williams was in position to commit quickly to any school at this point.

Louisville and Florida State have also offered Williams of late. Alabama is recruiting him, but has not yet dangled an offer.

Williams already had offers from Kentucky and Mississippi State from back in December prior to his recruiting heating up over the last month.

"They told me they believe he can be a three or four-year starter at Auburn." --Bessemer City coach Martez Edwards on how Auburn sizes up Williams

Bessemer City junior Darryl Williams raised his stock with his showing against Shades Valley 5-star Daron Payne and others on March 30, 2014 at the 2014 Nike NFTC camp in Hoover, Ala.

Auburn recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner and offensive line coach J.B. Grimes spent the day at Bessemer City on Monday and stayed for the duration of the team's spring practice.

"They wanted to take a good look at Darryl and wanted to see him snap it and get to the next level and make plays," Edwards said. "They wanted to see him and his leadership in the weight room and how he acts within his team and saw he went hard. They had a serious extended conversation with him and liked his character. They told me they believe he can be a three or four-year starter at Auburn."

Williams had a terrific showing earlier this year at the Nike Football Training Camp at Spain Park. His one-on-one duels with Shades Valley five-star prospect Daron Payne were the talk of the line drills that day.
"Coach Grimes said it was a big decision they have to make about who to offer at center," Edwards said. "They have a senior center this year who they feel will be a big draft pick next year. He's an All-American and they potentially want to find that next guy to come in and compete and get reps as a freshman."

Williams impressed many defenders as a junior, including Vestavia Hills pass rush threat Dalton Campbell. The 2013 Birmingham News Metro Defensive Player of the Year listed Williams among the top offensive lineman his Rebels faced this season.

"That guy was an underrated player," Campbell said back in December. "He needs to have a bunch of offers. I remember playing him and thinking he was underrated. He was really good. He was big and he could move."

Williams graded out at 98 percent last year. He only allowed one sack during 12 games and served up 28 pancake blocks on opposing defenders. He was also named to the 2013 Birmingham News All-Metro football team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Center Darryl Williams may get on the Gus Bus
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn offers Bessemer City OL Darryl Williams
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/05/auburn_coach_gus_malzahn_offer.html
Print
Jeff Sentell | jsentell@al.com By  Jeff Sentell | jsentell@al.com   
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 07, 2014 at 10:30 AM, updated May 07, 2014 at 11:11 AM

BESSEMER, Alabama -- Bessemer City coach Martez Edwards told AL.com this morning that Class of 2015 offensive line recruit Darryl Williams got an offer from Auburn coach Gus Malzahn.

Malzahn called Edwards on Wednesday morning and offered Williams. The 6-foot-3, 295-pounder plays tackle for the Purple Tigers but projects as a center or an offensive lineman at the next level.

"He told me he was offering Darryl a scholarship," Edwards said. "He (Darryl) was happy about it and he's going through the process right now with it. He knows he now has to sit down and figure out the best decision for him."

Edwards said he didn't think Williams was in position to commit quickly to any school at this point.

Louisville and Florida State have also offered Williams of late. Alabama is recruiting him, but has not yet dangled an offer.

Williams already had offers from Kentucky and Mississippi State from back in December prior to his recruiting heating up over the last month.

"They told me they believe he can be a three or four-year starter at Auburn." --Bessemer City coach Martez Edwards on how Auburn sizes up Williams

Bessemer City junior Darryl Williams raised his stock with his showing against Shades Valley 5-star Daron Payne and others on March 30, 2014 at the 2014 Nike NFTC camp in Hoover, Ala.

Auburn recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner and offensive line coach J.B. Grimes spent the day at Bessemer City on Monday and stayed for the duration of the team's spring practice.

"They wanted to take a good look at Darryl and wanted to see him snap it and get to the next level and make plays," Edwards said. "They wanted to see him and his leadership in the weight room and how he acts within his team and saw he went hard. They had a serious extended conversation with him and liked his character. They told me they believe he can be a three or four-year starter at Auburn."

Williams had a terrific showing earlier this year at the Nike Football Training Camp at Spain Park. His one-on-one duels with Shades Valley five-star prospect Daron Payne were the talk of the line drills that day.
"Coach Grimes said it was a big decision they have to make about who to offer at center," Edwards said. "They have a senior center this year who they feel will be a big draft pick next year. He's an All-American and they potentially want to find that next guy to come in and compete and get reps as a freshman."

Williams impressed many defenders as a junior, including Vestavia Hills pass rush threat Dalton Campbell. The 2013 Birmingham News Metro Defensive Player of the Year listed Williams among the top offensive lineman his Rebels faced this season.

"That guy was an underrated player," Campbell said back in December. "He needs to have a bunch of offers. I remember playing him and thinking he was underrated. He was really good. He was big and he could move."

Williams graded out at 98 percent last year. He only allowed one sack during 12 games and served up 28 pancake blocks on opposing defenders. He was also named to the 2013 Birmingham News All-Metro football team.

What a multi-talented guy.  He plays offensive tackle....but projects as a center....or he could even play some offensive line.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 06:17:28 PM »
What a multi-talented guy.  He plays offensive tackle....but projects as a center....or he could even play some offensive line.
Based on how he reportedly pushed Mrs Payne's boy around in camp, Mr Wiliams can play anywhere he wants. Probably even center for Bruuuuuuce.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:49:16 AM »

My skreets tell me he could even play a little guard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:13:20 AM »

I saw that and chuckled. The damn Indians have taken over sports journalism now as well..
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.