Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Ellis On The D

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Ellis On The D
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »
When they announced Malzahn as our corch, I wasn't bummed but honestly, he was choice 3 or 4 for me at the time.  I wanted the sexy, splash hire but hey, they hired Gus so it is what it is.  My thoughts were that I knew he'd turn things around offensively.  His offense even set what at the time were Auburn records, with Chris ReTodd at the helm.  I was just worried whether or not he understood that you will not win consistently in this league without some kind of defense.  Or was he planning on going full-on Big 12 and outscore everyone 47-42?

Those answers came quickly with the hiring of Ellis, Garner and others, followed by a signing class that included 3 of the top defensive linemen in the nation.  He showed his commitment to defense in this past class as well.  While our defense didn't exactly dominate by any stretch last season, it certainly did enough to get us to the MNCG.  And hearing that we're much farther along than this time last year...well...it make me moist.  al to the dot  I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth.

Ellis Johnson entered the spring with an idea of what to expect.

Now the Auburn defensive coordinator just hopes some of his observations and hopes translate in the fall -- again.

"Right now, we're making a lot of plays that we didn't make last spring," Johnson said.

The difference is Auburn's defense is not as deep as it was last spring and fall, when the Tigers rotated with ease and utilized mass substitutions to wear down opponents in the fourth quarter.

"I think we'll be fine," Johnson said. "Maybe not quite as deep as last year, but I think the quality of depth may be better."

The Tigers have lost at least 11 defensive players to injury or an off-the-field issue at some point this spring. Auburn might not be able to rely on depth as much next fall, Johnson said, but the defensive soothsayer does believe the players he has on the roster today will be much more disciplined playing within the system than last season.

"We have a foundation for our defense, so everybody’s pretty much understanding," said Star safety Justin Garrett, the Tigers' spring MVP in 2013. "This is the first time since I’ve been here that we’ve had the same defensive coordinator stay. There’s been a lot of continuity."

Too often the Tigers made mistakes last season, whether it was fitting and attacking the run or mixing up coverages. The Tigers relied heavily on their depth on the defensive line and the disciplined one-on-one coverage provided by veterans like Chris Davis and Jonathon Mincy at cornerback.

Johnson spoke at length last spring and preseason about the strong foundation he had to work with when it came to depth. He wasn't so sure he had enough impact players, however.

His opinion proved true in the fall.

The Tigers were in the bottom half of the SEC in four major defensive categories while ranking 86th nationally in total defense (420.7 yards per game). The Tigers' defense in the fourth quarter wore down some opponents (Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Alabama, Missouri) but it also led to potentially hazardous comebacks by Ole Miss and Georgia,  and a heartbreaking loss to Florida State in the BCS National Championship.

"We thought we had a lot of just good, solid football players on the field in spring," Johnson said, reflecting on 2013. "We didn't see the big-time, dynamic playmakers, but we thought we'd identify a few as the spring wound down."

The "impact" players Johnson were looking for emerged in the form of defensive end Dee Ford (10 1/2 sacks), Robenson Therezie (four interceptions) and Davis. Still, players missed tackles and the Tigers struggled through some busted assignments.

Johnson believes he has more players in his second year he can count on to make a big impact, especially after spending a year in the 4-2-5 scheme.

"Familiarity within the system, making quicker and better adjustments on formations and playing better within the system and with each other," Johnson said. "We're just a lot better. We're a lot further along than we were at this time last year."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: Ellis On The D
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »
"Maybe not quite as deep as last year, but I think the quality of depth may be better."

Translation: Jake Holland graduated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
I am curious where Snaggle's part ends and the article begins. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 04:43:37 PM »
That's what she said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:48:43 PM »

Somehow, I don't think many al. I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth. articles contain the phrase, "make me moist." 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »
Somehow, I don't think many al. I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth. articles contain the phrase, "make me moist."

only the Alabama ones.

"Right now, we're making a lot of plays that we didn't make last spring," Johnson said.

Also translated as "Jake isn't on the field".

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:00:52 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

chinook

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 11:46:43 PM »

He doesn't care about the quote function. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
Translation: Jake Holland graduated.
Who besides me thinks the #5 jersey has a curse on it? From Tommy "Concrete Hands" Trott to Michael "Born to be Wild" Dyer to Jake "Mr Backside Grass Stains" Holland, the person with that jersey has been snake bit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 02:07:35 PM »
Who besides me thinks the #5 jersey has a curse on it? From Tommy "Concrete Hands" Trott to Michael "Born to be Wild" Dyer to Jake "Mr Backside Grass Stains" Holland, the person with that jersey has been snake bit.

Joe says eat a bag of dicks, cuz you ain't gettin any bbq.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 01:54:07 AM »
Joe says eat a bag of dicks, cuz you ain't gettin any bbq.
Fucking Fact.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."