Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

We're deep at RB. Been a while.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
We're deep at RB. Been a while.
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:35:53 PM »
Door will be open for freshmen Roc Thomas, Kamryn Pettway in Auburn running back race

AUBURN, Alabama -- Auburn's message to its incoming freshmen is clear, especially at the running back position.

The three-way battle between Cameron Artis-Payne, Peyton Barber and Corey Grant is an ongoing one this spring, but it's a battle that will likely not end with a starter being named until the fall.

Incoming freshmen Roc Thomas and Kamryn Pettway will enter preseason practices in August on even ground with their counterparts.

"We're going to play the best player at every position," offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said. "I don't care if you're a senior, I don't care if you're a true freshman. So those guys are going to get opportunities."

The rest is up to the blue-chip newcomers. Thomas, a five-star prospect out of Oxford High, and the three-star Pettway out of Prattville are expected to arrive on campus in late May or early June.

It's not easy for a true freshman to crack the rotation or potentially become a starter, but it's not as rare as some might believe, even in the ultra-competitive SEC.

Six freshmen have entered the SEC and rushed for more than 1,000 yards since 2005, including five in the last four seasons. Michael Dyer (1,093 yards) is the last Auburn running back to do it as a freshman in 2010.

The 5-foot-11, 202-pound Thomas enters the summer as the strongest challenger. He ran for 2,211 yards and 32 touchdowns as a senior, ranking as the country's fourth-best running back in 247sports.com's composite ratings. Thomas was Auburn's No. 1 recruiting target in 2013.

"We really feel like he's got the ability to come in immediately and make a huge impact," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said in February.

Thomas' issue will be adjusting to the speed of the game, which coaches will not be able to judge until his first college football practice in August.

"These guys (on campus now) are light years ahead," Lashlee said. "Obviously Cam and Corey have played. Peyton's had a year plus the spring, so it's just gonna matter with Roc and Kam in that situation. How quick do they pick things up, how fast can they grasp everything and have the game slow down for them?"

History shows Malzahn will likely tinker with his lineup after the first few weeks of the season. It wasn't until the fourth game of 2013 he decided to side with Tre Mason, who went on to break Bo Jackson's single-season rushing record and finish the season as a Heisman Trophy finalist.

Dyer was pushed into action immediately and averaged 14 carries per game in his first season. He eclipsed 100 yards in every game he carried the ball 20 times or more during the Tigers' run to the national title.

The Tigers could also ease Thomas or Pettway into the rotation as the season develops, but that's entirely up to how the players already on campus respond to the competition. Artis-Payne appears to be the heir to Mason's job -- and coaches love the senior's confidence -- but that can all change in August.

"We'll have to see how that goes when those two get here and see how they respond," said Lashlee, "but we're counting on them to come in and compete and want to play and want to play now."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: We're deep at RB. Been a while.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »
I had posted some of Roc's highlight film a week or two ago and it made me jizz my jockeys. I know it's called highlights for a reason but that guy is special.  He could do it all.  Unreal quick feet.  Stop on a dime, out run you, run over you if need be.  Plus, we get another 220+ bruiser in Pettway.

But, I think that just bodes well for the future.  I fully expect Cameron Artimus Pyle to be the man in the fall. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:44:16 PM »
I had posted some of Roc's highlight film a week or two ago and it made me jizz my jockeys. I know it's called highlights for a reason but that guy is special.  He could do it all.  Unreal quick feet.  Stop on a dime, out run you, run over you if need be.  Plus, we get another 220+ bruiser in Pettway.

But, I think that just bodes well for the future. I fully expect Cameron Artimus Pyle to be the man in the fall.
I am not sold on this yet. I like CAP but I think that we have a stable and I don't know that anyone will separate the way that Tre did. I feel like it will be more of a 1a, 1b and maybe even 1c. Who the starter is may not matter re: number of carries. I expect Barber and Thomas to get a lot of carries.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:04:59 PM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »
It wasn't until after the LSU game that Tre established himself as "the man" at RB. Before that they were splitting carries and 14 hadn't gotten that involved. I expect they will test the waters with a bunch of dudes and see who gets the hot hand or if the committee can handle the load.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »

But, I think that just bodes well for the future.  I fully expect Cameron Artimus Pyle to be the man in the fall.

I smelled what you were cooking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 05:26:43 PM »

I smelled what you were cooking.

Don't mess with the Rock, candy-assed jabroni.  Finally.....the Rock is back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »
We haven't been this deep at RB since '03.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 05:56:38 PM »
I am not sold on this yet. I like CAP but I think that we have a stable and I don't know that anyone will separate the way that Tre did. I feel like it will be more of a 1a, 1b and maybe even 1c. Who the starter is may not matter re: number of carries. I expect Barber and Thomas to get a lot of carries.
Right away Payne is the most established runner (between the tackles type) and will provide protection. Grant's more of a situational guy right?  Not sure if any of them can catch a ball but Tre was pretty good at it. 
Also:
Is Ford still working with the DBs or has he been moved back to offense?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Right away Payne is the most established runner (between the tackles type) and will provide protection. Grant's more of a situational guy right?  Not sure if any of them can catch a ball but Tre was pretty good at it. 
Also:
Is Ford still working with the DBs or has he been moved back to offense?
I think Ford is on D as of spring but he's moved back and forth so much, I'm not certain.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »
It wasn't until after the LSU game that Tre established himself as "the man" at RB. Before that they were splitting carries and 14 hadn't gotten that involved. I expect they will test the waters with a bunch of dudes and see who gets the hot hand or if the committee can handle the load.

CAP was the man last spring and also appeared to be our most dynamic runner early in the season.  I would be surprised and impressed if someone beats him for the starting job this whole season. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »
CAP was the man last spring and also appeared to be our most dynamic runner early in the season.  I would be surprised and impressed if someone beats him for the starting job this whole season.
CAP should be playing this fall for next spring's payday
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 12:53:15 AM »
CAP should be playing this fall for next spring's payday

:miltie:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg