Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

One And Done...Done?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
One And Done...Done?
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:01:15 PM »
Listening to Colin Cowherd earlier today and came in on an interview already going on, so not sure who the guy was.  Anywayz, he said that Emmert and the NBA have been in talks to try and put in a system similar to the agreement that college baseball and MLB have had for years.  From what I gathered, you will be able to declare right out of HS and go through the draft.  If you're not satisfied with your draft placement, you can go the college route; however, you have to stay at least 2 years.  Baseball may be 3 years after HS.  Don't recall. 

He sounded pretty confident that this would happen much sooner than later.  IMO, that would be great for college basketball.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: One And Done...Done?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:24:57 PM »
Would be great. 

And Cowherd thinks this benefits the big schools like Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke.  I disagree.  I think this will spread more talent around.

No longer will 3 or 4 of the top ten basketball recruits go to Kentucky together.  It made sense to do it in previous years because if you stack your college team with fellow freshmen with NBA potential, you had more of a chance to make noise in the tournament and draw attention to yourself. 

Imagine next year Kentucky still has the twins, Randle, Young, Poythress, and Johnason.  You think 4-5 5 star guys who think they can declare after their second year will join that team and wait a year to get any real playing time? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:18:08 PM »
Listening to Colin Cowherd earlier today and came in on an interview already going on, so not sure who the guy was.  Anywayz, he said that Emmert and the NBA have been in talks to try and put in a system similar to the agreement that college baseball and MLB have had for years.  From what I gathered, you will be able to declare right out of HS and go through the draft.  If you're not satisfied with your draft placement, you can go the college route; however, you have to stay at least 2 years.  Baseball may be 3 years after HS.  Don't recall. 

He sounded pretty confident that this would happen much sooner than later.  IMO, that would be great for college basketball.
I hope so. I hope football is next. Mostly for the sake of preserving amateurism.

I've been screaming for decades that baseball is the only sport that does it "right".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »
I hope so. I hope football is next. Mostly for the sake of preserving amateurism.

I've been screaming for decades that baseball is the only sport that does it "right".

You've been screaming for decades? Dayum.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:45:05 AM »
You've been screaming for decades? Dayum.
He soothes his vocal chords with the semen from baby goats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »

I'm confused why you are screaming about football? In football, players can't enter draft until after 3 years...why would you want to change that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »
I'm confused why you are screaming about football? In football, players can't enter draft until after 3 years...why would you want to change that?
He's just a screamer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

Because some football players can prove they can compete in the NFL after two years. 

I really don't like how Jadaveon Clowney's draft stock has been hit because he HAD to play his junior year.  He was a draftable - possibly top ten - defensive end about halfway through his freshman year.  Now he's being criticized and possibly losing money because he played cautiously and apathetically. 

Or how about Marcus Lattimore.  He was a 1st round pick after his sophomore year.  But he was stuck playing his junior year and then blew out his knee. 

Or Reggie Bush.  Could have been a 1st round pick after his sophomore year.  Instead, he had to play his junior year and ended up receiving extra benefits, which would have just been small gifts in the NFL world, and being ridiculed in the college football history books.

If a guy stars as a freshman and then stars as a sophomore and wants to see if he can be drafted, I say let him. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »
Because some football players can prove they can compete in the NFL after two years. 

I really don't like how Jadaveon Clowney's draft stock has been hit because he HAD to play his junior year.  He was a draftable - possibly top ten - defensive end about halfway through his freshman year.  Now he's being criticized and possibly losing money because he played cautiously and apathetically. 

Or how about Marcus Lattimore.  He was a 1st round pick after his sophomore year.  But he was stuck playing his junior year and then blew out his knee. 

Or Reggie Bush.  Could have been a 1st round pick after his sophomore year.  Instead, he had to play his junior year and ended up receiving extra benefits, which would have just been small gifts in the NFL world, and being ridiculed in the college football history books.

If a guy stars as a freshman and then stars as a sophomore and wants to see if he can be drafted, I say let him.

I'm still in favor of the 3 year rule....unless the star player that's ready to come out is on a rival team. 

In all srsness, I would like to see 3 years across the board in all 3 major sports.  Yes, there are those like the ones you've mentioned that would have benefited from being able to declare early, but they're a handful of exceptions.  And if they think it's too big a risk to come back for that 3rd year....don't.   Sit out and train, save your body from the rigors of practice and games and get ready for the NFL. I think sports, both college and professional, benefit from a 3 year requirement.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »

No. Not that. Baseball doesn't work like that either.

I'm still in favor of the 3 year rule....unless the star player that's ready to come out is on a rival team. 

In all srsness, I would like to see 3 years across the board in all 3 major sports.  Yes, there are those like the ones you've mentioned that would have benefited from being able to declare early, but they're a handful of exceptions.  And if they think it's too big a risk to come back for that 3rd year....don't.   Sit out and train, save your body from the rigors of practice and games and get ready for the NFL. I think sports, both college and professional, benefit from a 3 year requirement.   
That.

Coming out of high school, you get a choice. Do you think you're hot shit enough that you don't need an education and can go straight to the pros? Or do you want to go the old-fashioned route and use college as a stepping stone to boost your value? Do that then. Completely up to the athlete and completely voluntary.

Now that this Northwestern union bullshit has hit the fan, and people want to equate getting your education and playing football for your university as a student-athlete with indentured servitude and overt exploitation, then this is the only way. You don't like it? Don't go. But if you choose to go, you've got to stick around for at least 3 years before you can move on to the next level.

I will say that the one thing universities can do as a compromise is if they sign them out of high school, they have to honor the full 4 year scholarship, should the athlete choose to stay in school for a full four years. Whether the kid loses both his legs and an arm or whatever. Unless he leaves the team or is dismissed for a legitimate violation of team rules, they should have to honor his full ride til the end.

Any more of the world's problems y'all need the answer to?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:10:34 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 01:58:34 PM »
No. Not that. Baseball doesn't work like that either.
That.

Coming out of high school, you get a choice. Do you think you're hot shit enough that I don't need an education and can go straight to the pros? Want to go the old-fashioned route and use college as a stepping stone to boost your value? Do that then. Completely up to the athlete and completely voluntary.

Now that this Northwestern union bullshit has hit the fan, and people want to equate getting your education and playing football for your university as a student-athlete with indentured servitude and overt exploitation, then this is the only way. You don't like it? Don't go. But if you choose to go, you've got to stick around for at least 3 years before you can move on to the next level.

I will say that the one thing universities can do as a compromise is if they sign them out of high school, they have to honor the full 4 year scholarship, should the athlete choose to stay in school for a full four years. Whether the kid loses both his legs and an arm or whatever. Unless he leaves the team or is dismissed for a legitimate violation of team rules, they should have to honor his full ride til the end.

Any more of the world's problems y'all need the answer to?

Add one more thing and I think it would be perfect and that is that if the athlete isn't drafted or gets hurt  within 3years (or whatever) they can come back to college to complete their education for free. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 01:59:34 PM »
Is there a rule that prevents a HS football player from being drafted? I know it's not as likely as in basketball or baseball but just wondering if its a written rule.

If so, I don't agree. If a guy has an opportunity out of HS, more power to him. But, after he signs with a college, I'm ok with the junior yr rule.

Physically, most aren't ready for NFL after HS but if NBA and MLB can draft a kid outta HS then so should the NFL.

That's all I've got to say about that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 02:04:16 PM »
Is there a rule that prevents a HS football player from being drafted? I know it's not as likely as in basketball or baseball but just wondering if its a written rule.

If so, I don't agree. If a guy has an opportunity out of HS, more power to him. But, after he signs with a college, I'm ok with the junior yr rule.

Physically, most aren't ready for NFL after HS but if NBA and MLB can draft a kid outta HS then so should the NFL.

That's all I've got to say about that.

Mmmm..quote me you shouldn't.  But I think that scenario is for baseball only.  You can enter the draft in baseball and choose to stay or go. But, if you choose to play baseball, you stay 3 years.  Of course, you can do like numerous others have, try pro baseball and come back to college for a different sport.  No prob.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 02:15:34 PM »
Mmmm..quote me you shouldn't.  But I think that scenario is for baseball only.  You can enter the draft in baseball and choose to stay or go. But, if you choose to play baseball, you stay 3 years.  Of course, you can do like numerous others have, try pro baseball and come back to college for a different sport.  No prob.
This. Basketball used to allow kids to get drafted out of HS, but now you have to do one-and-done.

Again, baseball is the only sport that has it right. You can declare for the draft out of high school or go the college route, but as soon as you sign the dotted line to get a scholarship, you've got to ride it out for a minimum of three years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 02:22:40 PM »
This. Basketball used to allow kids to get drafted out of HS, but now you have to do one-and-done.

Again, baseball is the only sport that has it right. You can declare for the draft out of high school or go the college route, but as soon as you sign the dotted line to get a scholarship, you've got to ride it out for a minimum of three years.

That's what she said
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »

You can't really compare baseball though because there are far more picks in the MLB draft than there are in any other sport. A team can draft close to 50 kids in one year's draft. Those 50 kids can go on to play in Rookie ball, A, AA, or AAA teams.

Where as football has 7 rounds with 7 picks (Excluding trades and such) and then has a 53 man NFL roster and a practice roster. That's it. I like the rules the way they are for football and baseball, but I think that the basketball rules should change. I like the fact that a kid can sign a scholarship in baseball and still be eligible to get drafted. If a kid doesn't like where he is drafted, he can go to school for 3 years. I think that model would work well in basketball.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 02:34:34 PM »
You can't really compare baseball though because there are far more picks in the MLB draft than there are in any other sport. A team can draft close to 50 kids in one year's draft. Those 50 kids can go on to play in Rookie ball, A, AA, or AAA teams.

Where as football has 7 rounds with 7 picks (Excluding trades and such) and then has a 53 man NFL roster and a practice roster. That's it.
So?

If they think they could get drafted in 7 rounds of 32 teams out of high school, yes they're idiots, but that's their voluntary decision. If not, then I would recommend they go the college route. Completely voluntary. Maybe they could let them hone their skills in arena league or something and then give them a second chance to declare after HS graduation.

Don't get me wrong, I think the system's ok as it is currently too. But it's clearly rapidly going the way of the dodo. Too many activists bitching about players being exploited by schools making millions off their backs.

This would be the only chance at preservation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »
So?

If they think they could get drafted in 7 rounds of 32 teams out of high school, yes they're idiots, but that's their voluntary decision. If not, then I would recommend they go the college route. Completely voluntary. Maybe they could let them hone their skills in arena league or something and then give them a second chance to declare after HS graduation.

Don't get me wrong, I think the system's ok as it is currently too. But it's clearly rapidly going the way of the dodo. Too many activists bitching about players being exploited by schools making millions off their backs.

This would be the only chance at preservation.
You don't know dodo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions