Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Gay man's estate tangled up in Alabama court

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Gay man's estate tangled up in Alabama court
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
I am interested in hearing a perspective from the gays on here.

http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2014/04/legal_fight_over_dead_gay_mans.html#incart_2box
Legal fight over dead gay man's estate: his mom, 75, vs. his husband

Paul Hard, right, talks with Southern Poverty Law Center attorneys David Dinielli, left, and Sam Wolfe outside the federal courthouse in Montgomery, Ala., on Feb. 13, 2014. (Mike Cason/mcason@al.com)

The Foundation for Moral Law in Montgomery has announced that it is now representing the mother of a gay man who is fighting for her son's property rights -  against his husband.

Under Alabama law all of the potential damages collected in a wrongful death action legally pass to David Fancher’s next of kin, the Foundation says. The next of kin is David’s only surviving parent, his 75 year old mother, Pat Fancher, the Foundation for Moral Law said. On December 16, 2013 Dr. Paul Hard filed in the federal district court of Montgomery, Alabama requesting the court prevent Ms. Fancher from receiving the funds that will stem from the wrongful death action. Dr. Hard claims that he is entitled to well over half of the funds because of his Massachusetts marriage to David that occurred less than three months before David’s death.

When Ms. Fancher learned that Dr. Hard sought to accomplish his goal by overturning Alabama’s Constitutional marriage amendment she became concerned, the Foundation for Moral Law said. "Ms. Fancher contacted us here at the Foundation for Moral Law and expressed that she does not want the death of her son being used by certain special interest organizations as a means to promote homosexual marriage by striking down Alabama’s Constitutional Marriage Amendment," the Foundation said in a statement released to media. "We are humbled to represent Ms. Fancher as her legal counsel in this matter. We filed a motion to intervene alongside the Attorney General’s office as a party in Hard v. Bentley and we are pleased to announce that motion was granted Monday, March 31 of this week."

Hard, who married David Fancher in Massachusetts, filed suit to challenge Alabama's law prohibiting the recognition of same-sex marriages performed in other states.

David Fancher was killed in a car crash north of Montgomery after his marriage to Hard. The accident led to a wrongful death case.

The Alabama law prevents Hard from sharing in any proceeds from that case, according to lawyers with the Southern Poverty Law Center, which is representing Hard.

Hard’s lawsuit seeks recognition of his marriage under the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses of the U.S. Constitution. His case seeks to invalidate parts of Alabama’s Marriage Protection Act and Sanctity of Marriage Amendment.

Gay marriage bans face court challenges in other southern states, as well.

Hard said hospital workers refused to provide him any information about Fancher's condition after the accident. A receptionist told him that he was not a member of Fancher's family and that gay marriages were not recognized in Alabama. Hard learned from a hospital orderly that Fancher had died after about a half-hour of trying to get information.

A funeral home director later insisted that Fancher's death certificate indicate Fancher was never married, citing state law.

"If I can spare one other person that kind of indigity and hurt, I would do it," Hard said after filing his lawsuit. "If I can let people know how this law unjustly and cruelly affects people, I will do it. And ultimately I hope that these laws are overturned so that it now longer can give folks permission to treat Americans as second-class citizens."

Hard, 55, who teaches counseling and psychotherapy at Auburn University Montgomery, is also seeking to have Fancher's death certificate changed to say that he was married.

Fancher, who was 53 when he died, was an information technology director at a trucking company in Birmingham.

They were married in May 2011, and the fatal accident happened during the night of Aug. 1, 2011. Fancher's car struck an overturned UPS truck blocking the northbound lanes of Interstate 65, according to Hard's lawsuit.

The wrongful death case was filed by the administrator of Fancher's estate. It is pending in federal court in Montgomery. Hard is not a party in that case. If Hard prevails in his lawsuit, he would be entitled to proceeds from that case.

Named as defendants in Hard's case are Gov. Robert Bentley, Attorney General Luther Strange and other officials, as well as the administrator of Fancher's estate.

The Foundation for Moral Law said in its statement that Ms. Fancher has recently undergone hip surgery, but she released a statement: “I am a devout Christian and I am deeply disturbed that the death of my son David is being used by Dr. Paul Hard to advance the cause of same-sex marriage. I did not agree with all of the decisions that my son made, but I loved him very much and we always had a good relationship. It is wrong for David’s death to be used in this manner.”

The Foundation for Moral Law added: "We here at the Foundation agree with Ms. Fancher. Ms. Fancher and the majority of Alabamians, believe marriage is an institution established by God for the governance of the most basic unit of society, the family, and this institution is intended to be between one man and one woman. The Foundation will protect not only Ms. Fancher’s beliefs and interests, but also the right of Alabama citizens to preserve the traditional definition of marriage."

The Foundation for Moral Law was co-founded by Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore, who is president emeritus of the foundation. His wife, Kayla Moore, serves as president.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Gay man's estate tangled up in Alabama court
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »
Well personally, I think they should.......hey, wait just a damn minute.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »
Might should have picked a a state that is a little more gay friendly.  There are plenty of them out there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 04:11:27 PM »
Might should have picked a a state that is a little more gay friendly.  There are plenty of them out there.

I'd assume that the plaintiff had few options as to where the wrongful death suit had to be filed.  You're generally limited to: where the defendant resides/does businesses; where the incident giving rise to the claim occured; or the venue agreed upon by the parties in a contract.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »
I'd assume that the plaintiff had few options as to where the wrongful death suit had to be filed.  You're generally limited to: where the defendant resides/does businesses; where the incident giving rise to the claim occured; or the venue agreed upon by the parties in a contract.

That's just gay talk
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 05:02:07 PM »
And where you can get the most media buzz. With SPLC and Roy Moore in the same town, it's made for TV.

But, I certainly can't tell you anything about gay law you don't already know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 05:21:23 PM »
Hard
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 05:25:32 PM »

I meant they should have chosen a more gay friendly state to live in while STILL ALIVE and married.  Then if he runs into a UPS truck in say Massachusetts he would not have to worry about the back ass Alabama homophobe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »
I meant they should have chosen a more gay friendly state to live in while STILL ALIVE and married.  Then if he runs into a UPS truck in say Massachusetts he would not have to worry about the back ass Alabama homophobe.

What kind of gays yawl got there?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 05:37:23 PM »
I know I'd rather be ass ended in Massachusetts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 06:08:40 PM »
It's okay...I'm alive everyone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 09:04:51 PM »
at first I thought the legal hold-up may be because they could not properly serve papers to an estate that only has back doors

I am interested in hearing a perspective from the gays on here.

David Fancher was killed in a car crash north of Montgomery after his marriage to Hard. The accident led to a wrongful death case.
rear-end impact?

Fancher's car struck an overturned UPS truck blocking the northbound lanes of Interstate 65, according to Hard's lawsuit.
here's the takeaway:
don't slam into the brown when it is upside down

(and don't be gay)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.