Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Pour Some Sugar on Me

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Pour Some Sugar on Me
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »

As ExtremeTech reports, researchers at Virginia Tech have developed a working sugar-powered fuel cell with energy density greater than that of current lithium-ion batteries.

Sugar, or more accurately glucose, is an excellent source of energy in biological beings, as it's energy-dense and easy for a plant or animal to process. In humans, during aerobic respiration, it produces 3.75 kilocalories of food energy per gram.
In the newly-developed battery, it's similarly productive, with a storage density of 596 amp-hours per kilo, described as "one order of magnitude"--or ten times more than that of lithium-ion batteries currently used in consumer electronics.
Non-biological objects aren't particularly good at extracting energy from sugar (unless you burn it, something we're attempting to reduce with electric vehicles...) so the researchers are using tailor-made enzymes to break down glucose and turn it into electricity.

These 13 different enzymes are combined with air and maltodextrin glucose in the battery. The only products are water and electricity.

The battery's stability over multiple charge and discharge cycles isn't known, though chief researcher on the project Y.H. Percival Zhang says it's as near as three years from commercialization.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Pour Some Sugar on Me
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »
PERFECT!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Denseron

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:55:27 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 04:00:06 PM »
I wonder, since cocaine is only one molecule different than sugar, just how cocaine would fair as a source of power.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 04:02:44 PM »
I wonder, since cocaine is only one molecule different than sugar, just how cocaine would fair as a source of power.

Since sugar is already readily available with processing plants already in place on an industrial scale, why would we care?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 04:04:04 PM »

It worked well for Randy.  Until he keeled over, of course.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 05:43:49 PM »

I can attest to its fueling properties.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.