Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Guitar: Been watching this clip on repeat

Guitar: Been watching this clip on repeat
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »
Any of you guitar guys want to tell me how he pulls of that slap playing at around 2:17?  I've never heard anything like it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Re: Guitar: Been watching this clip on repeat
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »
I'd like to preface that I play guitar for a living now and am well versed in what I believe are the greatest guitar players in history such as Chet Atkins, Tommy Emmanuel, Django Reinhardt, Joscho Stephan, Lenny Breau, Martin Taylor, Brent Mason and many, many more. 

I think the part at 2:17 is well, juvenile.  Just a bit of quick slapping while pulling the string up high like he's yanking a dick off.  It's a bit like a slap bass.  Just my opinion.

I don't think I could play it that fast right now, but it's really just typical slapping technique done quickly and violently. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
I'd like to preface that I play guitar for a living now and am well versed in what I believe are the greatest guitar players in history such as Chet Atkins, Tommy Emmanuel, Django Reinhardt, Joscho Stephan, Lenny Breau, Martin Taylor, Brent Mason and many, many more. 

I think the part at 2:17 is well, juvenile.  Just a bit of quick slapping while pulling the string up high like he's yanking a richard off.  It's a bit like a slap bass.  Just my opinion.

I don't think I could play it that fast right now, but it's really just typical slapping technique done quickly and violently.

All I know is that the camera frame rate can't keep up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »

I think the part at 2:17 is well, juvenile.  Just a bit of quick slapping while pulling the string up high like he's yanking a richard off.  It's a bit like a slap bass.  Just my opinion.

Not impressed with your list.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:25:45 PM »
All I know is that the camera frame rate can't keep up.

Oh it's fast as shit.  No doubt about that.  It reminds me of these kind of players:

I'm pulling a Kaos.  I know.  But just my two cents. 

I think it gets to me because I run into a lot...A LOT...of young people who hear what I do and think "that's cool" and then bring up people like Kaki King and scoff like understanding music theory and jazz and classical is beneath the hyper-percussive modal arrangements that to me sound like the background of a cheap video game. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 09:01:51 AM »
I prefer ole Slowhand myself.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
I always thought Roy was one of the better pickers. Always loved to hear him on the Hee Haw.

This guy is one of my fav's. You really ought to see me do interpretive dance and air guitar to this, after a quart of Jack and 1 or 2 jades. People love to see me buck dance.

For those of you unfamiliar, you cowboy types will know his father Larry of Lonesome Dove fame. You homosexuals will likely remember Larry's movie Brokeback Mountain.

Here's the boy doing one of my favs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:36:28 AM »

After doing a little more digging that arrangement that Roy is playing is by Django.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »
After doing a little more digging that arrangement that Roy is playing is by Django.

Have a link?  I've never heard Django play Malaguena. 

Also, I thought the rest of his arrangement was good.  Roy's a fine player.  I just wasn't that impressed with the slapping. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:50:29 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 11:49:40 AM »
If you can actually make it through all 3:12 of this, you deserve a cookie.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »
Have a link?  I've never heard Django play Malaguena. 

Also, I thought the rest of his arrangement was good.  Roy's a fine player.  I just wasn't that impressed with the slapping.

Thought it was Wiki, but can't find it now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions