Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

You are going to see an amazing athlete...

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
You are going to see an amazing athlete...
« on: February 07, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
Olathe, Kan.--Sometimes college football recruiting is something that takes months of months of interaction between coach and player to build a relationship and a comfort level before things fall into place. Other times a kid grows up dreaming of playing for a certain school and the offer is all that stands in the way of making a decision.

However, sometimes a combination of timing and opportunity form to create something that just works. That is the case with Auburn five-star offensive line signee Braden Smith.

Getting early offers from Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas and dozens of other colleges early in the recruiting process, Smith began the process of trying to find his home, but couldn’t find anything that felt just right for him. All that ended when Auburn came into the picture says Olathe South Coach Jeff Gourley.

What makes the story remarkable is how his interest in the Tigers developed. Building close ties with both TCU and Texas A&M by watching them play, Smith saw something in Auburn thanks to Gourley’s help and that opened up a window for Coach Gus Malzahn’s program.

A phone call out of the blue from Auburn offensive line coach J.B. Grimes a few weeks later turned slight interest into full-blown fascination and over the course of less than a month he was all Auburn.

“It was a week or two weeks prior to Coach Grimes making contact with me,” Gourley says of Smith’s first interest in Auburn. “We were joking around because we run the Wing-T and Coach Malzahn’s is not that dis-similar.

"We’re under center and we’re in the pistol so we’re a little bit different, but the philosophies are all the same. We were laughing and saying that’s where he needed to go. I’m not going to lie to you, Auburn was an afterthought. We visited Alabama and had already told them no thanks that he wasn’t interested.

“Auburn had not shown any interest and it wasn’t any big deal, but we didn’t really watch Auburn up here. The most SEC he watched was Texas A&M because they were an active player and Missouri because they were local. I watched Auburn in the Iron Bowl and then in the SEC Championship against Missouri and then I saw them in the national championship. I told Braden, ‘You already know that offense you ought to just go there.' We kind of laughed about it and said he would be the perfect fit for Auburn, and low and behold about a week later Coach Grimes called. The rest is history as they say.”

A massive player called “Gigantor” by his teammates, Smith is six-foot-six and around 300 pounds already. One of the strongest prospects in the country as well, Gourley says his standout player is more than just strength however because he applies himself to the game each and every day.

“Braden Smith is probably the most intense football player I have ever coached with that type of ability,” Gourley notes. “He’s a process-oriented kid. He goes step-by-step in everything he does in life from weights to grades to classes.

"All of that stuff is important to him, but he processes one step at a time. When he takes the field he has gone through all of the education part. He studies his opponent and watches the film. He understands the schemes they’re going to be seeing.

"We played him both ways here at Olathe South so he had to do it on both sides of the ball. What separates him is that he’s a student of the game and he really applies himself to understand what the opponent is going to try to do to him.”

No matter what he does in preparation everything always comes back to strength and size for Smith. Bench pressing 515 pounds three reps during his senior season, Smith should have no problems adjusting to the physical nature of the game on the next level. While technique is often a problem area for young offensive linemen making the step to the SEC, Gourley says he believes Smith has the right stuff to make an impact because of his work ethic and love for the game.

“He’s an extremely strong young man,” the coach notes. “This word is so overused and sometimes it has such a negative connotation that I hesitate to use it, but he’s freaky strong. Anybody that can bench press 515 three times and squats over 700 pounds. How strong do you need to be? We don’t really test him as far as he can go. We shut him down a little bit.

"His strength is one thing and I have known a lot of strong players that weren’t good football players, but his toughness and ability to play the game at a pad level that is lower than most is just uncanny.

“The rap on Division I linemen coming in is you don’t know what type of grit they have because they’ve never had to go up against kids like this. That is in fact the truth. His sophomore year is probably the last time he was challenged and that was mostly by our team in practice.

"I watched him in that Under Armour game and that one son of a gun (D’Shawn Hand) put a head slap on him in one of the one-on-one drills and if you watch real close you see the helmet spin around, but his neck doesn’t change positions. It looks really bad, but his head doesn’t move. The next thing you see is him replacing his hands back in the guy’s chest and it’s a thump. He’s stoned and he doesn’t move. Right then I said that this kid was proving to himself that he can play at this level.”

With Greg Robinson leaving Auburn early and expected to be a first round draft choice in the NFL, the Tigers will have plenty of competition for the left tackle spot with Shon Coleman and Patrick Miller just two of the capable bodies for the position. Making an adjustment from playing guard to tackle will take some getting used to for Smith, but Gourley believes he can get it done.

“He doesn’t realize how good he can be yet, I don’t think anybody does,” Gourley says. “The more he plays with the SEC caliber defensive line that Auburn has and that he’ll see each week he’s just going to grow in confidence and his ability is just going to take off. You’re going to see an amazing athlete.”
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:54:32 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: You are going to see an amazing athlete...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:06:25 AM »
I have to go....wash my hands.  I may be a while.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:08:27 AM »

Yep...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »

Need some help??  I have this sudden urge to rub... your hands.  You know.  To make sure they are all clean and stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
Damn. I thought this was another Trovon Reed post!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »
Damn. I thought this was another Trovon Reed post!

This is Trovon's breakout year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
This is Trovon's breakout year.

Shit! He got arrested again!

Ohhh. I see what you mean!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 10:54:29 AM »
It would not surprise me in the least to see this guy play this year. I know we have depth and it's unusual for an OL but a lot of things are in his favor.

GF wrote a fine article.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:02:04 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
Just to be a contrarian, and for the sake of argument, these quotes trouble me a little:

No matter what he does in preparation everything always comes back to strength and size for Smith.

His sophomore year is probably the last time he was challenged and that was mostly by our team in practice.

Making an adjustment from playing guard to tackle

It's going to be a lot of work for the kid now that he can't just cruise on size/strength alone.  He's no longer the biggest kid on the field.  I'm also curious about why his HS coach had him playing inside.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 11:39:39 AM »
Just to be a contrarian, and for the sake of argument, these quotes trouble me a little:

It's going to be a lot of work for the kid now that he can't just cruise on size/strength alone.  He's no longer the biggest kid on the field.  I'm also curious about why his HS coach had him playing inside.

I think that's true for just about every recruit.  Especially when they come from somewhere that you have no idea what level competition a guy has faced.  When I first started taking pics of Sanders in the shower, he was playing 2A ball in south Alabama.  A strong, athletic kid at 6'4" 240 on that playing field may as well have been Bo Jackson. On the other hand, we know the level of competition Tre Williams wreaked havoc against.  Not real worried about his transition to the SEC. 

With regard to Smith, I have to trust this line of the article and hope the guys offering him know what he's about:

"Getting early offers from Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas and dozens of other colleges early in the recruiting process...."   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »

"Getting early offers from Alabama,

$$$$$$$$$$$    I bet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
a given

Some of the new guys might not know.  :miltie:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »

Yeah, but then there was this...
"I watched him in that Under Armour game and that one son of a gun (D’Shawn Hand) put a head slap on him in one of the one-on-one drills and if you watch real close you see the helmet spin around, but his neck doesn’t change positions. It looks really bad, but his head doesn’t move. The next thing you see is him replacing his hands back in the guy’s chest and it’s a thump. He’s stoned and he doesn’t move. Right then I said that this kid was proving to himself that he can play at this level.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 12:30:55 PM »
He’s stoned and he doesn’t move.

Great.  Another spice freak.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 12:32:49 PM »

I wonder if he at least owns his own gun?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 12:38:41 PM »

Said he was in the Wing T in high school.  Guard is the more important spot in the typical under center Wing T, you're probably pulling and trapping 75% of the time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »

Strictly for medicinal purposes
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »
Coming up next on your 90s flashback Friday, this one goes out to the members of Tigersx. You know why.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 02:50:47 PM »
Coming up next on your 90s flashback Friday, this one goes out to the members of Tigersx. You know why.

Thanks man. Love u too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com