Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Give me the "Roc"

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Give me the "Roc"
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:57:27 AM »
Get it straight. There is no more Racean.

From now on it’s only “Roc” Thomas.

Remember that for the future. Because as far as the Auburn-committed Thomas is concerned, his is a name Tigers fans will be talking about for a long time.

The elite five-star running back from Oxford, fresh off being crowned Alabama’s Mr. Football last Wednesday, made his official visit to Auburn this weekend during the first of three big recruiting weekends leading up to National Signing Day on Feb. 5.

Afterward, he was already talking like a veteran.

“It was great. I had a great time. Got to bond with our players and teammates — future teammates — so it was great to have a good time with them,” Thomas said Sunday.

“When I come here I get that home feeling, it’s family everywhere around here. Everyone is saying ‘War Eagle,’ so it’s just great out here.”

Thomas was one of 12 of the 16 visiting recruits who have already committed to Auburn, making the weekend a homecoming of sorts for a group that is already being hailed as a top-10 national recruiting class in Tigers head coach Gus Malzahn’s second offseason with the program.

“They’re really doing a great job getting players here, kind of luring in players, and it’s (showing) that we’re building something here,” Thomas said.

Dressed in what resembled pajama bottoms, an Auburn sweater and an Under Armour All-America game beanie, the No. 3-rated tailback in the country already looked to be making himself right at home on Auburn’s campus.

“We pretty much just hung out with the players already on the team, they just showed us how it’s going to be when we get here,” Thomas said.

Thomas, who committed on Aug. 2 over 15-plus offers from some of the nation’s premier programs, loves watching and rewatching clips from the Tigers’ incredible turnaround 2013 season that saw Auburn win the SEC Championship and finish 13 seconds shy of winning the BCS National Championship earlier this month.

“Every time we’re sitting in a room and they show a video about them playing this year, it just gives me chills,” Thomas said. “Really it’s great to see them do that and have great accomplishments.”
After plenty of discussions with Malzahn, Tigers offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee and running backs coach Tim Horton, Thomas believes he will have the opportunity to make an impact his first year on campus.

With the departure of SEC-leading tailback Tre Mason to the NFL, following a season when he broke the single-season school rushing record with 1,816 yards and 23 touchdowns, Thomas could certainly join returning tailbacks Cameron Artis-Payne and Corey Grant in a loaded backfield that will also likely feature redshirt freshman Peyton Barber.

“(Malzahn) is pretty much telling me when I get here I’ll have the chance to make a big impact as a freshman, so that’s good to know that,” Thomas said.

“He’s told me (I can) have the same role as Tre Mason and Corey Grant, kind of as a Wildcat and splitting me outside. … He told me I could pretty much be the guy that didn’t really have to come out (of a game) so they can put another guy in.”

Four-star CB happy with his flip from Bama
Kalvaraz Bessent loved his official visit to Auburn; he didn’t want it to end.

“I had a great time here, I don’t want to leave,” the four-star cornerback recruit from Camden County (St. Mary’s, Ga.) said. “The coaching staff, players, recruits, it’s just been a great time.”

Bessent, who flipped his commitment from Alabama to Auburn on Dec. 9, was one of 12 rock-solid Auburn commits on campus this weekend for an official visit.

Bessent was so happy with his visit, the 6-foot-1, 180-pound prospect has no plans to take any more visits despite two more weekends of opportunities.

“I love it here, I’m not taking any more visits,” Bessent said. “I’m pretty solid on my commitment and that’s pretty much it.”

Bessent said his decision to flip his commitment from Alabama to Auburn was difficult for him.
“At the time it was, but I’m happy I made the decision now, I’m satisfied with my decision,” Bessent said.

Bessent and Opelika four-star defensive back Stephen Roberts, another former Crimson Tide commit who flipped to Auburn recently, have become fast friends on the postseason recruiting circuit and hung out a lot during their official visits this past weekend.

“Since we committed here we haven’t really talked about it but at the time I had already told him I was going to swap and come here and he was like, ‘It’ll be a great decision to make,’” Bessent said of a previous conversation with Roberts.

As far as why he ultimately decided Auburn was where he wanted to be? Well, that one’s easy: opportunity.

“I felt like I had a better chance at playing here early,” Bessent said. “It just felt more like home and a family here.”

Alex Byington | AU Sports Writer

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: Give me the "Roc"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:09:28 PM »
Roc has said he and Sean WHite (QB) are going to be roommates.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:12:31 PM »
Definitely wood-worthy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:48:11 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:40:40 PM »
I hope this dude isn't trolling us. Would be just like Lorde Saybinz to do that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg