Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

79 Seconds...

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
79 Seconds...
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:12:35 PM »
Very long article but worth the read imo. Few thing that intrigue me. Gus in the article claims he still thinks about his '94 team that lost in the state title game. Claims he thinks about it every week to this day. I can't imagine how this one will sit with him. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe he sincere when he calls Auburn his "dream job." Another thing is hearing how apologetic and distraught Tre Mason was after the game. That kid wanted to deliver a title to his fanbase and team more than any Auburn Tiger I can remember. I can honestly say there is no Auburn player I've been more proud of. Kid is all heart and determination.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/07/bcs-championship-auburn-tigers-behind-the-scenes/4359835/

PASADENA, Calif. — One more task remained. In the aftermath of a 34-31 loss, Gus Malzahn had gathered the Auburn Tigers, delivered a final message, then prayed with them. Now, a few moments later, it was time for postgame interviews, which meant a trip to the other side of the stadium.

"Tre? Dee? Y'all ready?" Malzahn said. "Let's go."

Tre Mason was not ready. The junior running back had been sitting in his locker, his face buried in a towel, almost inconsolable, although several teammates and coaches and other staff members had tried. But red-eyed, he followed Malzahn from the locker room. Just outside, Malzahn was intercepted by an ESPN reporter for a live TV interview. As they waited, senior defensive end Dee Ford pulled Mason back inside, away from the bright lights, and embraced him.

"No one is upset with you," Ford said he told him. "No one is upset with us. At the end of the day, we still set the bar."

Mason had run for 195 yards and scored two touchdowns. The Heisman Trophy finalist had the football on the very last play, as time expired, a funky pass-and-two-laterals combination designed to provide him with running room behind a wall of blockers. It was a desperation move, a play called when it's too far to throw into the end zone, and highly unlikely to work – but then, the Tigers knew unlikely. It was the story of their season.

A little earlier, when Mason took a handoff, bounced off several Florida State players and then bolted 37 yards into the end zone with 1:19 left, they figured they'd just written one more crazy, perfect ending. As Mason scored, giving Auburn the lead, Malzahn pumped his fist, and yelled: "BOOM!" Players screamed and jumped and hugged and waved towels and relished another incredible moment in a season filled with them.

But on a football sideline, elation can shift to devastation in 79 seconds. A missed tackle. A penalty flag. A touchdown catch. Seconds later, that wall for Mason crumbled: Finally, there were no more miracles. Inside a very quiet locker room, as Florida State's celebration swirled on outside, the Tigers' first-year head coach searched for the right words:

"OK," Malzahn said. "I know we are all disappointed. We are stinkin' competitors. I'm just gonna tell you this: We feel like crap right now. But everybody in this room is stinkin' champions. They fought their butt off. We make a play or two, we end up winning the game.

"Here's what I don't want you to do: I don't want anybody to have their head down. I don't want anybody playing the name game, all that crap. Man, we're all in this. I could have done a better job, too. We got beat. We're gonna give those guys credit. We're gonna show class, all right?

"Because you learn the biggest lessons in life through adversity. But I'm gonna tell you, when everybody looks back on this team? They're gonna remember that it's the biggest turnaround in college football history.

"I'm just gonna say this to you seniors. I know I talked to y'all last night. We love every one of you. You're the ones that got us here. We'll never forget the senior class. I just wanted to say that. What you guys did? You laid the groundwork for the best years to come.

"I'm just gonna tell you right now, I'm proud of you. You fought your butt off. They had to make a play or two to win. It's OK to be disappointed – crap, we should. That's OK. But let's just make sure we're together. We're different than everybody. I want everybody to understand, OK? All right."

His comments took 79 seconds.

A little more than 24 hours earlier, the possibilities had seemed boundless. Behind the scenes, the Tigers never bought that "Team of Destiny" tag – at least, not if it was supposed to mean they were lucky and shouldn't have been playing for the BCS National Championship – but they clearly saw their destination: one more victory. The tipped-pass miracle to beat Georgia? That returned field goal to crush Alabama? It was unbelievable, never-see-it-again stuff, sure – unless they did it again Monday night against the Seminoles. Those things happened, Malzahn told them, "because you earned it," morphing from a 3-9 team in 2012 that did not win a conference game into 12-1, SEC champion, and – they were certain – headed for even more.

Cam Newton might have best illustrated the mindset on Sunday evening. The catalyst for Auburn's 2010 national championship team, Newton was asked by Malzahn to be an honorary coach, and to speak to the team before the Tigers took the field Monday. But with the Carolina Panthers in the playoffs, he couldn't make it to Pasadena. Instead, they improvised.

Auburn's players and coaches had just finished their evening meal in a ballroom on the second floor of the Omni Hotel in Los Angeles. A big screen in the corner had been showing the Godaddy.com Bowl. But then the game was gone. "Look," someone said, "it's Cam." And then Malzahn asked for everyone's attention.

"Cam was really wanting to be here," he said, "but … Cam, are you ready?"

Cam was. For the next 10 minutes, sitting in front of a webcam, Newton delivered a stemwinder worthy of any head coach. "I look at their schedule, I don't see nothing that really wows me," Newton said, and he added, as though he were talking to the Seminoles: "You ain't played no Alabama. You ain't played no Georgia. You ain't played no Missouri. … Y'all ain't been tested. Y'all ain't been through what we went through.

"They don't know what you went through, going 3-9. It wasn't pretty, but it made you who y'all are.

"This whole year, you guys was always the underdog, the stepbrothers, the little train that could. Now you have an opportunity to prove yourselves to the world … to seize something you can have for the rest of your life. It's only one team that can be crowned and say they had jewelry. This is a jewelry-collecting team – go collect your jewelry."

Newton finished simply: "War Eagle." The response, in unison, was emphatic: "War Eagle!"

Next came another surprise. Chette Williams, the Tigers' longtime chaplain, introduced the speaker for the team's devotional, saying it was the first time an Auburn head coach had asked for the opportunity.

It is something Malzahn, a devout Christian, plans to do on the eve of the Tigers' bowl game every season. And like his offense and so much else, it is something he brought with him from his days as a high-school coach. The Auburn football program resembles its peers, with a relentless focus on efficiency and routine. But back at Shiloh Christian in Springdale, Ark., the head coach had a tradition of inviting the seniors to his house. Malzahn said the goal was, "to let them know I'm a real person," and it's the same with the Tigers.

"I want them to know me more as a person before they leave," he said. "There's a lot more of this deal with being a team than football. You learn a lot more about life than you do (football)."

Malzahn began by addressing Auburn's 14 seniors. One at a time, he had them stand, and told them what he appreciated about them – saying of one: "You are extremely tough mentally and physically; I love your character and the person you are," and of another: "Use your influence in a positive way; the Lord has blessed you."

Then he got personal.The two-point message was delivered quietly, but with intensity. Malzahn challenged the Tigers "to never quit on your family," saying when his father left the family when he was 6 years old, it hurt him deeply and for years. And then he explained how, in his mid-20s, married with two young daughters, he contemplated doing the same thing.

"Y'all see me now, but I was a work in progress," Malzahn said. "Man, I had some idiot switch in me. I started thinking, I don't know if I like this. I've got to be doing other things. I had buddies, they were single, and I wanted to run around with them. It's just by the grace of God that the Lord slapped me in the face and said, 'Wake up.'

"I'm here to tell you if I'd have done that, I wouldn't be here today. There's no telling where I'd be. You look at my family history, my grandfather was an alcoholic, my dad was an alcoholic. … It's just by the grace of God I stuck with my family. I've got a loving wife. I've got two daughters. I'm not the best dad – I try to be – but hey, I'm there for 'em."

Malzahn's second point was to "use your influence in a positive way, and the Lord will reward you." He explained that without a father, he looked up to coaches and wanted to be like them, "and sometimes that wasn't real good. It's why, he said, he tries to be an example for his players, and doesn't cuss or drink.

"I'm not better than anyone else," he said. "I still have it in my mind." But what comes out of his mouth are words like "crud."

And he told them how, in 1994, he took Hughes (Ark.) High School to the state championship game and lost.

"They had never even been in the playoffs," he said. "We had 19 dudes – 19! – and we went to the state finals. It was a real similar story to where we are at. We upset a team that hadn't been beaten in three years, we did this and that, and then we got there.

"And I'm telling you, people ask me, 'Man, what do you think of all these championships?' SEC championship, state championships, national championships – you know what I think about? Every week I think about those kids at Hughes High School. Them jokers, they played their guts out. I didn't do a very good job coaching.

"When you guys see me and wonder what motivates me and why I tick like I do? That's what motivates me. I think about some of those guys. I sit there and think, 'Man, we were that close. We could have had rings.' "

Malzahn closed by telling the players he was a dreamer, and that he'd been blessed throughout his career.

"People talk about dream jobs, and some people said (mine was) Texas or something. This is my dream job. I love Auburn. And I love you guys."

The rest of the weekend reverted to business-like routine: Meetings to go over the game plan, followed by meetings to review the game plan, interrupted by meals and then wrapped up by meetings to review the game plan.

At midday Monday, the Tigers gathered for the pregame meal, a buffet that included chicken, spaghetti and meatballs or steak. Players were assigned seats by position group, and got up to serve themselves when called by Malzahn, who started with the big guys. "All right, guys," he said. "Great day to win a national championship. It's gonna be won up front: O-line and D-line."

They did almost everything in near silence, part of the plan to focus on their task. Occasionally, music leaked out from headphones. Only once, a few minutes before the Tigers headed for the stadium, did anyone go off-script or get a little loud. As offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee closed a meeting – he'd been brief; there wasn't much more to say – a hand shot up. A guest asked: "Coach, can I say something?"

Bo Jackson had arrived at the hotel that morning and eaten breakfast with the team. During a lull, he'd pulled up a chair next to Mason and talked quietly with the running back for several minutes. "Fatherly advice," Jackson said. Now, with Lashlee's permission, he spoke to the entire offense, saying he was "as excited as I was on my wedding night."

"You deserve to be here," Jackson said. "Everybody's gonna be watching. They haven't experienced four quarters. That is your 15 minutes. Go out and produce like it's your quarter and have fun. Go out and earn it. … You're special. Go out and play like you're special, guys."

Taking Florida State into the fourth quarter had been a theme hammered home repeatedly during the Tigers' preparation. While Auburn had survived several close games, the Seminoles had been dominant. Auburn coaches said they hadn't been pushed. "What we're gonna do," Lashlee told the offense Monday afternoon, "is hit 'em in the mouth on the first play and in the fourth quarter, where they're not used to being."

And Malzahn told them: "Do exactly what we've done to get here. It may not be easy. They ain't been in a dogfight – we are a dogfight."

When Auburn jumped to a 21-3 lead, Bo Jackson, who watched the game from the sidelines, ran to quarterback Nick Marshall and mimed as though feeding himself, over and over, with a spoon: "See what I'm telling you! See what I'm telling you!" the former star said. Junior tight end Brandon Fulse screamed: "We're exposing 'em! We're taking their makeup off!" Yet, for all the intensity of the sidelines, the locker room at halftime was calm. Leading 21-10, the Tigers appeared confident but determined.

"Let's show 'em how to play a full game," said sophomore receiver Sammie Coates, pacing as he spoke. "Let's put up 40 (points)."

Coaches huddled for five minutes, then gathered the players, split into offense and defense, and made tweaks.

"Listen to me," said Malzahn, just before they retook the field for the second half. "We're the better team. Squeeze the football. Don't beat ourselves. Make 'em earn it."

And the last fourth quarter of the BCS era was a dogfight. Left guard Alex Kozan limped off the field, bleeding from a deep cut just below his right knee. As athletic trainers huddled, Kozan screamed: "Wrap it up! It's the national championship!" And although later he could barely walk, he returned to finish the game. Coates came off the field, too, bleeding from the mouth, but didn't miss any action.

Florida State grabbed the lead, a kickoff return that seemed like a dagger, but someone yelled: "We got this! We got this! We've been here before!" And then Mason reached the end zone, and the Tigers were back on top, and tight end C.J. Uzomah waved a towel as the defense took the field, and although everyone was yelling, no one could hear anything.

But in 79 seconds, the elation turned into frustration, and then devastation. With 3 seconds left and 87 yards to go, the Tigers set up one more play for Mason – "When it comes down to that, you just give it your best shot and see what happens," Malzahn said – and then, as the Seminoles' celebration began, all confetti and chaos and the crystal football, they trudged slowly off the field, up the tunnel.

Malzahn stopped to hug his wife, Kristi, and then his daughters, Kylie and Kenzie. In the locker room, quiet had been smothered into silence. The coach gathered the Tigers, gave them his final thoughts, and then prayed with them.

"I pray You'll keep their chin up," he said, "because they're nothing but winners. I just thank You for bringing us here, Father ..."

Malzahn talked quietly for a moment with Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs and SEC commissioner Mike Slive, telling them, "the future is bright for this program," and then left with Mason and Ford for the postgame interview session.

A couple of players cried. Some undressed and headed for the showers. Others sat in their lockers, still in their uniforms. In one corner, defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson huddled with Auburn's defensive players, and said, "Anything I can say won't make you feel any better," – while a few feet away, offensive line coach J.B. Grimes was telling his guys:

"Ain't nothing I can say but I love you. We came within a minute and 19 seconds."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Re: 79 Seconds...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »
I'm a man and I'm gonna say it: I love this coach, I love these assistants, and I love this team.

My favorite Auburn team in my lifetime is the 2004 team followed very closely by the 1993. I didn't think it was possible to love a team more than those two. Auburn is going to win more championships, folks. I don't know if I'll ever love a team more than this one.

Hats off and Salud to the 2013 Auburn Tigers. Peace out, fellas and thanks for the ride.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:48:38 PM »
I didn't cry last night.

But I'm crying now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
I love our coach.

That is all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 12:30:42 PM »
Fuck it's dusty in my office. Damn allergies
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »
http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/football/2014/1/8/5284110/auburn-football-2013-no-apologies-no-regrets

Over the course of the 2013 season, no team covered more ground than the Auburn Tigers. This is true, both literally (led the nation in rushing yards) and metaphorically -- and although the former is great, it's the latter that I want to discuss.

Not long after the final seconds ticked off the clock Monday night, several Auburn football players interacted with the outside world. Some via the excellent men and women who cover this team professionally, others through social media. Two notable examples were junior running back Tre Mason and freshman defensive end Carl Lawson.

Tre_medium
Lawson_medium

They spoke of failure. They apologized to us.

On behalf of Auburn fans all around the world, I resoundingly reject their apologies and notions of failure -- only because the inference of either of those things is misplaced and undeserved.

This team, perhaps more than any other, truly embodied what it means to be Auburn men and women. With special apologies to Tre Mason and Dee Ford, there were no transcendent superstars who propelled this team to success. Rather, this was a collection of young men who worked together with one mind to accomplish their goals. As one unit.

As one family.

They were overlooked, doubted and disrespected all season -- often thought of as "lucky," "pretenders," "frauds" or "overrated," but this team did not care. The players loved each other far too much to let personal slights keep them from lifting each other to new heights every damn Saturday. Team of destiny? Destiny is bullshit. This was a team of hard work, meticulous preparation and a stubborn refusal to acknowledge all of the reasons they should fall short. You want to see "destiny"? Go to a strip club; she goes on at 11:30.

It was no fluke that this team was winless in conference play last season, and it was no fluke that they won the whole damned thing this year. The fact of the matter is that they worked their asses off to get to Atlanta, and then to Pasadena. They did that for each other, and they did that for us.

Don't apologize to the fans, Auburn football players. We should be apologizing to you.

We have directed our fair share of vitriol toward all the "haterz," but truth is that most of us doubted what you could accomplish, as well. Most of you know that I co-host the College and Mag Show on War Eagle Radio with the editor of this blog, Chris Fuhrmeister. You know what we thought this team was hopefully capable of at the season's advent? Six wins. Six. This wasn't Pete Thamel or Pat Forde giving predictions -- it was two guys who love Auburn and see the world through orange-and-blue-tinted glasses. Even as the team racked up improbable win after improbable win, Pasadena never entered our minds until Mizzou week -- and even then, only as a long-shot "what if" scenario. Hell, going into Monday night's title game, we believed that our defense would probably be embarrassed and that our only hope was for the offense to run wild. We were wrong. We were wrong about you all season, and we apologize.

At some point during the dreadful 2012 season -- I think it was during the Texas A&M game -- I stopped being emotionally attached to the Auburn football program. Don't get me wrong, I still loved Auburn football. I still watched every game, and I still hoped for the best. The heart, though -- it has a way of protecting itself from experiencing repeated trauma. Mine had built a wall around itself so that it couldn't be hurt by football, or anything else for that matter. The losses kept piling up, but my heart and emotions were protected by the wall of numbness I had constructed. Coming into this season, I thought that the wall would probably still come in handy as this team took it's lumps and struggled to get back to mediocrity. Even though there were glimpses of hope in Baton Rouge, it confirmed what I knew to be the best course of action: keep your heart guarded. The thing about guarding your heart, though -- it keeps you from feeling pain and joy. To love something or someone means that you have to open yourself up to that thing and pray that it doesn't destroy you from the inside out. For the first half of this season, I wasn't willing to run that risk.

Damned if it wasn't the Texas A&M game again that changed my heart again.

These Tigers went to College Station and defeated the best quarterback in the nation in his own stadium. "Yeah, but that Aggie defense, though," the doubters said. But we knew. Something was different. This team was special, and it continued to prove it with convincing performances against middle-of-the-pack conference foes in the coming weeks.

Then came Georgia.

Many words have been typed about that game, and I'll not try to do it justice with more. I'll just admit that most of us thought our season had reached its apex with Ricardo Louis' miracle, and that this turned out to be a nice little season indeed. After all, mighty Alabama was coming next.

Space was used on this very blog to warn Auburn fans that they shouldn't be expecting an Iron Bowl win. Many were outraged, even though the majority probably agreed. The task was just too large for a team less than a year removed from being shut out in conference play. Sure, we could run on Arkansas -- but Alabama has a Mosley, and he don't take kindly to tailbacks.

Once again, we were wrong to doubt. Even if the "Kick Six" had never have happened, it still would have been the most memorable display of one team rising up from the ground and showing it's newfound fearlessness that we have ever witnessed. But it did happen. Once again, it wasn't "luck" or "destiny" -- it was calculated by Coach Malzahn and executed to perfection by the players.

The season was already cemented in Auburn history, but then the Tigers decided to break the SEC all-time single game rushing record -- not against a conference bottom feeder, but in the flipping SEC Championship game. My biggest fear is that history will forget that game because of the incredible finishes during Amen Corner.

All of this brings us to Monday, Jan. 6 in Pasadena, California.

I wanted this. I wanted this game more than I've wanted any game in recent memory, including 2010. Something was different this time, though. I didn't want this game for myself. I wanted this game for these players, and finally I'm getting around to the point of this post.

The 2013 Tigers gave us everything they had and so much more. They changed the culture of an entire program. They gave us an absurd amount of opportunities to roll Toomer's Corner. They gave us the "Prayer in Jordan-Hare" and the "Kick-Six." They gave us the hope and the confidence that Auburn football is, in fact, back -- and that it doesn't look to be leaving us again anytime soon. Coming into this game, this team had already given us fans far more than we could have ever dreamed of, expected or even deserved.

I wanted this game for them. When Jameis Winston completed that pass into the end zone with 13 second left, my heart did not break for myself -- it broke for our players. A team that had given us so much throughout the course of a season deserved more. They deserved to be given something. A crystal football would have done just fine. Alas, it wasn't to be.

To the players and coaches of the 2013 Auburn Tigers football team: Hold your heads high. Do not apologize to to those of us whom you have repeatedly lifted all season. We hurt with you, and we hurt for you -- but we do not hurt because of you.

There are no words to express how proud we are of you. There are no words to express how thankful we are for this absolutely insane season that you have given us. Sometimes the only thing you can do is look someone right in the eyes and say "War Eagle." That's enough.

Now, let's go out there next season and win the whole damn thing. Now, everyone together ...
I said it's great ... to be ... an Auburn Tiger!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 10:20:40 AM »
I wanted this game for them. When Jameis Winston completed that pass into the end zone with 13 second left, my heart did not break for myself -- it broke for our players. A team that had given us so much throughout the course of a season deserved more. They deserved to be given something. A crystal football would have done just fine. Alas, it wasn't to be.

To the players and coaches of the 2013 Auburn Tigers football team: Hold your heads high. Do not apologize to to those of us whom you have repeatedly lifted all season. We hurt with you, and we hurt for you -- but we do not hurt because of you.

This. I was never sad for me. I was sad for those guys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.