Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Ifs, buts and Bama nuts

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Ifs, buts and Bama nuts
« on: January 05, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »
Debate on the radio today (think it was a replay).

If Alabama plays Oklahoma seven times, I think they win five.  If they play Auburn seven times, they win six.  So if the world was a fair place, Alabama would really be undefeated at this point because sometimes the best team just doesn't win.  If these were series, Alabama would win them all. There's not a team in the country the Tide wouldn't have the advantage over in a seven game series. 

But this isn't baseball. Did the Patriots get to play the Giants in seven Super Bowls? Did Drexler and Hakeem get to play the Wolfpack in seven NCAA finals? You gonna give the Buffalo Bills 28 shots at the Super Bowl? You play and you win or you lose. That's the game. One game at a time. It's what makes college football great. Sometimes these teams we think are so great really aren't.  Everybody put Alabama on a pedestal, but in the last four years, who have they really beaten? LSU? Georgia one time?  That's it?  They're beating Coastal Carolina and Miss State and Louisiana Tech and we're putting them up there as the greatest ever. Auburn and Oklahoma exposed what we should have seen. Suspect quarterback play, poor offensive line, a talented defense that doesn't know what to do with an unconventional attack and lazy coaching.

But you get what I'm saying, right? If these things went seven games then Alabama would fix those things. Auburn wouldn't run for 400 yards and they'd change the way they attacked Oklahoma's offense. That's why they're still the best in the country.

It's called getting out coached. Getting caught flat-footed. It's called losing. Do you want every team that wasn't favored to just hand over their upset wins because "on paper" the other team was supposed to be better? Why even play? Just figure out who you think will win and write it down. It's like people don't take penalty strokes and who give themselves mulligans on every hole on the golf course and then brag that they shot a 75.  No they didn't. They shot 120.  What you "think" shouldn't matter.

You're missing the point. Give Alabama a legitimate shot and they're better than either Oklahoma or Auburn more times than not.  I don't think that's debatable.

Doesn't matter. They. Lost. On that day Alabama was NOT better than Auburn. They were NOT better than Oklahoma. End of discussion.

Exactly. On that day. Any other day....

On any other day you look at the schedule and see a great big L because they didn't play that day.

But if they did, which is the point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Ifs, buts and Bama nuts
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:57:01 PM »
uat plays Auburn 10 more times? Auburn wins 10 more times. uat plays OU 10 more times? uat and OU probably split it.

Auburn is the better team. Why? Because Auburn has the better coaching staff, stronger players, better conditioned players and Auburn's offense attacks uat's defensive weaknesses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »
uat plays Auburn 10 more times? Auburn wins 10 more times. uat plays OU 10 more times? uat and OU probably split it.

Auburn is the better team. Why? Because Auburn has the better coaching staff, stronger players, better conditioned players and Auburn's offense attacks uat's defensive weaknesses.
Don't forget the sorcery.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 06:05:30 PM »
I like the justification we are hearing. Reminds me of just before Stallings went away
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 06:06:25 PM »
Don't forget the sorcery.

we turned them into newts
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »
Because Auburn has the better coaching staff, stronger players, better conditioned players and Auburn's offense attacks uat's defensive weaknesses.

Ryan Russell's contributions to this team cannot be underestimated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:20:03 PM »
They're done.

If it wasn't for Saban's uncanny ability to obtain the best 5 and 4 stars in the country year in and year out, I wouldn't be worried about him at all anymore.

Everyone saw that to beat Alabama, you play high tempo offense.  A Nick Saban team will never have consistent success if they have to keep pace on offense with a team scoring points. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 06:23:14 PM »
They're done.

If it wasn't for Saban's uncanny ability to obtain the best 5 and 4 stars in the country year in and year out, I wouldn't be worried about him at all anymore.

Everyone saw that to beat Alabama, you play high tempo offense.  A Nick Saban team will never have consistent success if they have to keep pace on offense with a team scoring points.
Yup. It's kinda hard to play against a HUNH type Offense when your defensive philosophy is to have 7 defensive linemen on the field (3 DTs/4 DEs)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »
WE, GF, and I were talking about this last night.  Saban just isn't a good game day coach.  He's great at recruiting, he's great at preparations, but if you man up, punch him in the nose, he can't make good decisions during the game.  He doesn't know how.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 10:16:57 AM »
WE, GF, and I were talking about this last night.  Saban just isn't a good game day coach.  He's great at recruiting, he's great at preparations, but if you man up, punch him in the nose, he can't make good decisions during the game.  He doesn't know how.

Bobby, dey eva catch dat gorilla that scaped outta da zoo and punched you in da face?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »
Bobby, dey eva catch dat gorilla that scaped outta da zoo and punched you in da face?
Da search continues
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum