Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Smart not helping FSU scheme for AU....

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Smart not helping FSU scheme for AU....
« on: January 02, 2014, 05:11:37 PM »
Really? Hmmmm. I'd like for Pruitt to take a lie detector test on this one.
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/01/fsus_jeremy_pruitt_says_kirby.html#incart_m-rpt-2

FSU's Jeremy Pruitt says Kirby Smart kept his Auburn secrets to himself (Kevin Scarbinsky
jeremy-pruitt-fsu-pc.JPG
Florida State defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt meets the press Jan. 2, 2014, to discuss the BCS Championship Game matchup with Auburn. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)
Print
Kevin Scarbinsky | kscarbinsky@al.com By  Kevin Scarbinsky | kscarbinsky@al.com   
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on January 02, 2014 at 2:21 PM, updated January 02, 2014 at 2:24 PM
NEWPORT BEACH, California - Jeremy Pruitt and Kirby Smart are more than former colleagues on the Alabama defensive staff. They’re also friends. Pruitt said they talk to each other about once a week.

You would assume that Pruitt, the Florida State defensive coordinator, and Smart, the Alabama defensive coordinator, have shared some trade secrets on Auburn.

Pruitt said you’d be wrong.

“They’ve still got that SEC thing going,” Pruitt said Thursday. “There’s some pride there.”

Wait. What? Is he saying an Alabama coach didn’t want to give up any inside info that might hurt Auburn in the BCS Championship Game?

“That’s exactly what I’m saying,” Pruitt said. “Don’t think I didn’t try.”

Believe it or not.

It’s easier to believe that Pruitt doesn’t need any help understanding what the FSU defense is about to face in the Auburn offense after working at Alabama from 2007 through last season.

He knows Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn, and he knows the Auburn personnel. He also knows how Malzahn attacked the Alabama defense Nov. 30, what worked for the Tigers that day in their 34-28 victory that helped them rush for 296 yards and what didn’t work.

How does that benefit Florida State?

“Schematically,” Pruitt said, “us and Alabama are very similar.”

Statistically, the Seminoles have been better, leading the nation in scoring defense with Alabama at No. 2 and ranking third in total defense ahead of No. 4 Alabama.

Pruitt and Malzahn actually have something in common themselves. They both traveled the road less taken from high school to college. Since 2006, Pruitt has progressed from Hoover High defensive coordinator to Alabama director of player development to Alabama secondary coach to Florida State defensive coordinator.

He adjusted to calling the defensive sets for FSU as quickly as the Seminoles warmed to him after their last coordinator, Mark Stoops, left a year ago to become Kentucky’s head coach.

Their first impression of the 39-year-old Pruitt?

“His country accent, his Alabama accent,” linebacker Christian Jones said.

“A country guy, very country,” safety Terrence Brooks said.

But Jones also said that Jimbo Fisher hiring Pruitt played into his decision to return for his senior year. Brooks raved that Pruitt “has really helped me understand the game a lot more.”

Nose guard Timmy Jernigan already knew and liked Pruitt, who’d recruited him at Alabama. He told his teammates, “This guy’s the real deal.”

“Alabama was in my top three coming out of high school because of Coach Pruitt,” Jernigan said. “I love the guy. He has the ability to get everyone around him to buy in and believe what he’s saying, and everything he’s told us has been true.”

So maybe we should believe Pruitt when he says Smart didn’t scheme with him on how to beat Auburn. Hard to believe, sure, but this is a guy 60 minutes away from his third straight national title.

As much as Pruitt learned working with Smart, he’s done quite nicely out on his own.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Re: Smart not helping FSU scheme for AU....
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »
He probably told Pruitt the same thing Pinkel said, "Don't ask me how to stop them, I obviously don't know."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »
He probably told Pruitt the same thing Pinkel said, "Don't ask me how to stop them, I obviously don't know."
kind of what I was thinking
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
kind of what I was thinking

Me too. 300 yards rushing on a Saba.......I mean a Smart D isn't too shabby. I'm curious as to the secrets. Now that I think about it, maybe he should share them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Don't ask anybody on Alabama's staff how to stop a tempo offense, because apparently they don't have a fucking clue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 11:45:41 PM »
Don't ask anybody on Alabama's staff how to stop a tempo offense, because apparently they don't have a fucking clue.

Cam, Manziel twice, Marshall now Knight. Yes, we know.

It's why your coach and that fat hog over in Fayetteville want it outlawed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »
“Schematically,” Pruitt said, “us and Alabama are very similar.”
Fuck that guy.  It's "WE AND ALABAMA" you fucktard.  Isn't he the same dumbass that was on Two A Days on MTV and acted put out because someone suggested he eat asparagus?  "Whuts that?  A-sperry-gust?" 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:57:24 PM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 12:01:24 AM »
Cam, Manziel twice, Marshall now Knight. Yes, we know.

It's why your coach and that fat hog over in Fayetteville want it outlawed.
Regardless, his defense is going to have to evolve over the offseason.  The HUNH isn't going away.  It's only going to become more prevelant. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:41:41 AM »
Regardless, his defense is going to have to evolve over the offseason.  The HUNH isn't going away.  It's only going to become more prevelant.

Anyone wanna guess what Chip Kelly's spread offense ranked in its first year in the nfl? 

Yeah it ain't going anywhere. Better evolve quickly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 03:08:54 AM »
Kinda hard to evolve when your HC's philosophy is and always will be to use 3 DTs and 4 DEs as his front seven.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs