Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Gus is gone...

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Gus is gone...
« on: December 06, 2013, 09:24:09 PM »
To buy a lake house on lake Martin with his new duckets.

Auburn's Gus Malzahn agrees to 6-year contract extension, raise
 Mike Szvetitz | Sports Editor

ATLANTA — Gus Malzahn agreed to a six-year contract extension and raise Friday night that will pay him $26.85 million over the life of the deal and move him into the upper half of the SEC coaching salary tree.

The deal will pay the Auburn head football coach $3.85 million the first year and will be increased $250,000 each subsequent year, according to Auburn. By the time the contract is in its final year, Malzahn will be making $5.1 million.

The contract extension announcement came less than 24 hours before his third-ranked Tigers are set to take the field against No. 5 Missouri in the SEC Championship Game.

"As I've said before, we want Coach Malzahn to be at Auburn for a long time," Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs said in a statement released by Auburn University on Friday night. "The new contract includes a raise and extension and is our statement that Auburn is committed to Coach Malzahn for the long haul.

"While this season has been remarkable, I'm equally excited about the future of our program under his leadership. The future of Auburn football is very bright.

"I couldn't be more pleased with our student-athletes and our coach."

The new deal comes a day after Jacobs said he — with the blessing of Auburn president Jay Gogue and the board of trustees — wanted to make Malzahn an offer that put him in the “top half” of SEC coaches in terms of salary.

Malzahn will now be the sixth-highest paid SEC football coach, according to a list of salaries released by USA Today in November, behind Alabama’s Nick Saban, Arkansas’ Bret Bielema, Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin, who just received a contract extension and raise, Tennessee’s Butch Jones and LSU’s Les Miles.

"Jay made a good recommendation, and I support it. A lot of programs would love to have Coach Malzahn, so this is a good move that allows him to continue taking Auburn football where our fans want it,” Gogue said in the statement. “I've consulted with the president pro tem of the Auburn Board, and he let me know that he supports it as well."

Malzahn’s original deal had him making an average of $2.44 million over five years, which ranked him 32nd in the nation and 11th in the conference, according to USA Today. His salary is a combination of his $2.3 million per year base pay and the $140,000 yearly difference in Malzahn’s buyout from Arkansas State.

“What began as a new day has turned into a great day for Auburn and the Auburn family,” said Jimmy Rane, the president pro tem of Auburn's Board said.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/article_a92b021e-5ee0-11e3-8bb6-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Re: Gus is gone...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:29:27 PM »
He should be able to afford anything on the Waffle House menu with that raise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:37:56 PM »
When is he leaving for Texas though? Or did Sexton already work the deal with Saban so he told Gus take all you can from AU?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
Since the Texans let Gary Kubiak go today, Gus is now rumored to be high on the list.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:44:21 PM »
He should be able to afford anything on the Waffle House menu with that raise.

No more having to decide between scattered and smothered.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:54:10 PM »
 :aubie: :aubie: :aubie:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 06:55:49 AM »
No more having to decide between scattered and smothered.
scattered is no charge actually, but he can do the double order for $1.00 more, plus top it with Bert's chili
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 11:47:58 AM »
Malzahn will now be the sixth-highest paid SEC football coach, according to a list of salaries released by USA Today in November, behind Alabama’s Nick Saban, Arkansas’ Bret Bielema, Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin, who just received a contract extension and raise, Tennessee’s Butch Jones and LSU’s Les Miles.

Nice use of funds.    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :haha: :haha: :haha: :rofl:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 06:58:54 AM »
This is badass if true.

Bet Sexton is not happy.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/12/this_is_where_i_want_to_be_aub.html

AUBURN, Alabama -- Gus Malzahn is not a fan of distractions, especially if he believes it could hurt his football team.

The Auburn coach took the initiative to squash talk he might be looking to leave the school Thursday night when he walked into athletics director Jay Jacobs' office with a request: a new contract.

“This where I want to be. I love Auburn," Malzahn said Sunday, speaking publicly about his new six-year deal for the first time. "You start hearing rumors about this stuff. I didn’t want our players or coaches or fans to wonder how I felt. I wanted to be here and I’m one blessed guy to be the head coach of the Auburn Tigers."

Malzahn has led Auburn to one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history during his first season as coach.  No. 2 Auburn (12-1) will play No. 1 Florida State (13-0) in the BCS National Championship on Jan. 6.

Malzahn personally handled the negotiations with Jacobs at roughly 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, a mere 90 minutes after talking to fans on his radio show. One fan on the show mentioned the Sports Illustrated report linking him to the University of Texas, which an anonymous source in the report labeled as Malzahn's "dream job."

By the end of the night -- on the eve of the Tigers leaving for the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta -- Malzahn and Jacobs worked out a new deal that includes a raise to $3.85 million in 2014 with an increase of $250,000 in each subsequent year remaining in the six-year deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »
This is badass if true.

Bet Sexton is not happy.

Fuck Sexton.  Right in the mouf.  I have despised him for his stupid games for a long time.  If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt it is, then Gus is even more of a stand-up guy than I thought. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »
This is badass if true.

Bet Sexton is not happy.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/12/this_is_where_i_want_to_be_aub.html
Yeah, I do believe that Gus loves AU and living in Auburn. He's not the first coach to feel this way. I don't think he's the first to not sell his house after he left.

Thing about this is that it shows me that he is a great leader AND he cares more about the team than cashing in on the rumor. You think Saban would've done this? I don't.

Long term, I think it's smart to do this. It not only takes distractions away for the MNC, it will help ease recruiting worries.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com