Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

17 of 18 State Writers Pick Alabama - Shocking...

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
17 of 18 State Writers Pick Alabama - Shocking...
« on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/state-writers-pick-no-1-alabama-over-no-4-auburn

Alabama is the favorite of 17 out of 18 state editors and college football writers heading into Saturday's game with Auburn. The average score from their annual Iron Bowl predictions: Alabama 32.6, Auburn 22.8. Last year, Alabama was the pick of 22 of 23 voters by an average score of 40.6-8.7 and won 49-0.

Here are their comments and picks:

Johnathan Bentley, Daily Mountain Eagle

"Saturday's Iron Bowl matches strength vs. strength with Alabama's defense going up against Auburn's rushing attack. Alabama's defense will win out. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn will keep the Tigers close, but Alabama and Nick Saban always seem to be at their best in the big games.

Alabama 38, Auburn 26.

___

Marq Burnett, The Anniston Star

"Alabama will contain Auburn's rushing attack, and Nick Marshall won't be able to make enough plays passing the ball. Also, Auburn's defense will struggle to stop Alabama's offense. "

Alabama 34, Auburn 17.

___

Michael Casagrande, al.com

"The first half will be entertaining, but Alabama will separate itself as the sun begins to set. Without a dangerous passing game, it'll be difficult for Auburn to hang for all 60 minutes."

Alabama 35, Auburn 24.

___

Kim Craft, Gadsden Times

"Defense determines the outcome. I think Alabama stops the run better than Auburn, which needs big pass plays or special teams highlight-reel plays to win. Alabama has more than enough talent to keep that from happening."

Alabama 28, Auburn 17.

___

James Crepea, Montgomery Advertiser

"Auburn will have explosive plays and be able to run the ball. Alabama will score or make a big stop to win."

Alabama 34, Auburn 27.

___

Tommy Deas, The Tuscaloosa News

"The best team usually wins in this rivalry. Auburn has had a great bounce-back season, but Alabama appears to be the best team."

Alabama 37, Auburn 16.

___

Mark Edwards, The Anniston Star

"Iron Bowls often produce unlikely heroes. Ray Ogden in 1964, Bill Newton and David Langner in 1972, Van Tiffin in 1985, Tre Smith in 2002. This year, how about Alabama kicker Cade Foster with the winning field goal?"

Alabama 24, Auburn 23.

___

Joel Erickson, al.com

"Gus Malzahn digs deep to come up with some wrinkles the Tigers haven't shown at any point this season, and Auburn's defense, sparked by Dee Ford, comes up with enough big plays to hang on late."

Auburn 31, Alabama 28.

___

Justin Ferguson, The Auburn Plainsman

"Auburn has made unbelievable strides this season under Gus Malzahn, but I do not think the Tigers are quite where they need to be to beat the Tide at this point. I see Auburn racing out to an early lead in front of a vocal home crowd, but a strong and deep Alabama team will grind its way to another hard-fought victory."

Alabama 30, Auburn 20.

___

Andrew Gribble, al.com

"The Crimson Tide's methodical, time-consuming offense keeps the ball out of the hands of Nick Marshall and the Tigers offense, which will find some yards, but not enough on the ground, to pull the upset."

Alabama 31, Auburn 16.

___

Jon Johnson, Dothan Eagle

"Comparable offenses and comparable special teams play. The biggest difference between the two teams is on the defensive side, where Alabama owns an obvious advantage. The game won't be decided until deep into the fourth quarter. "

Alabama 31, Auburn 23.

___

Rob Ketcham, The Cullman Times

"Auburn's proven to be one of the best teams in the country. But they're not the best. That title still belongs to Alabama. "

Alabama 35, Auburn 24.

___

Brandon Marcello, al.com

"Auburn gets its running game revved up, but Alabama steps up in the red zone and the Tide wins the fourth quarter."

Alabama 31, Auburn 27.

Brent Maze, Hartselle Enquirer

"AJ McCarron has too many weapons at his disposal. ... Auburn won't have enough passing to loosen up the Alabama run defense for the entire game."

Alabama 37, Auburn 29.

___

Ken Rogers, Dothan Eagle:

"Both teams have playmakers, but Alabama has more of them, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Crimson Tide's better balance on offense makes the difference."

Alabama 37, Auburn 20.

___

Jon Solomon, al.com

"Auburn settles for too many field goals. Auburn stays close for a while. Alabama grinds out a draining win before an emotionally charged crowd."

Alabama 31, Auburn 23.

___

Marc Torrence, Crimson White

"Alabama will slow down Auburn's rushing attack, and the Tigers won't be able to stop the Tide on offense."

Alabama 35, Auburn 24.

___

Christopher Walsh, 247Sports:

"Unless Auburn fares better on turnovers one has to wonder how well the Tigers will be able to move the ball against the Tide, which recently has been stifling against the run. ... On paper Alabama is the team to beat. "

Alabama 30, Auburn 17.

This is including our beat writers. Only one extreme Auburn homer beatwriter picked AU.

Bulletin board.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: 17 of 18 State Writers Pick Alabama - Shocking...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 04:21:41 PM »
The only shocking thing about that piece is that 22 of 23 picked Bama last year. Someone actually picked us to win last year? 

Cocaine is a helluva drug.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:40:17 PM »
I bet I can guess which one of those guys showed up at Gus' presser in his bammer jacket just from the comments...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »
@JHokanson 7m

Seen six ESPN commentators predict the #IronBowl today, all six pick #Alabama. Bill Plaschke says #Auburn may not score.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:04:14 PM »
Forget em and feed em goat heads!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 05:43:01 AM »
I don't think half of these "journalists" have seen Auburn play...No one can "grind out" the clock against Auburn's defense...unless they start kneeling on the ball every other play after they've gotten a 10 point lead. I believe most uat fans are going to have a horrible Saturday night and that hangover will last for atleast 5 months, until their A-Day game when they proclaim that "this is the best team ever assembled in the history of the sport of football."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 08:43:08 AM »
Bill Plllattccchhhski is a stupid yankee homo that can eat a dick.

I agree. What the hell does he know about college football. He's just a espn "b" show hack like skip bayless.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 09:59:48 AM »
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/11/charles_barkley_picks_iron_bow.html

Charles Barkley has a few words of encouragement to offer Auburn before it faces Alabama in one of the most important Iron Bowls in the rivalry's history.

But the legendary Auburn and NBA player may need to choose his words wisely before addressing the Tigers Saturday afternoon inside their locker room at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"I've got to figure out how much time I've got, how much profanity I can use," Barkley said Wednesday during an appearance on WJOX-FM.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »
Auburn is 99.5 points ahead of Vegas lines aggregated. Which is an average of 9.04 points covered per game.

So Auburn needs to do 1.46 points better than their average against the spread. Very doable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
I don't think half of these "journalists" have seen Auburn play...No one can "grind out" the clock against Auburn's defense...unless they start kneeling on the ball every other play after they've gotten a 10 point lead. I believe most uat fans are going to have a horrible Saturday night and that hangover will last for atleast 5 months, until their A-Day game when they proclaim that "this is the best team ever assembled in the history of the sport of football."

This turns out to be true and I'll buy you your favorite bottle of drink.  #winning :aubie:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'