Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Pee Wee Football

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Pee Wee Football
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 08:19:44 AM »
but I definitely feel like I missed building a foundation for running, swimming, or biking.

It really rather simple....
Do something illegal in front of the cops.
Get pushed into the water.
Purchase some really stupid looking clothes and helmet then ride your bike on the back of your car.

Voila!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 09:20:52 AM »
Studies have shown football to be the safest sport up until age 12.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »
Agreed.

Really, any sport that doesn't end at the age of 18 (unless you're a gifted athlete) is what I'll want to teach my children.  My wife ran cross country and hurdles in high school, and she was able to use that training to continue running through college and beyond. 

I played football and that's it.  I understand how to bulk up in the weight room, but I definitely feel like I missed building a foundation for running, swimming, or biking.

You are what,  26-27?

You still could get into multisport. You peak out in all 3 around 40. The best in the world are all between 35-45. Go for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

chinook

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »
You are what,  26-27?

You still could get into multisport. You peak out in all 3 around 40. The best in the world are all between 35-45. Go for it.

yes. I suggest though trail running.   The pavement will slap you around like Weskie does to whores. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »
yes. I suggest though trail running.   The pavement will slap you around like Weskie does to whores.

It's fun. And dangerous at the same time. I like it. I'm sure you see shitloads of good ones up there. Lucky.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
Anybody here have kids playing Pee Wee/Pop Warner/Mighty Mites/etc.... football?  My oldest daughter cheers for the 8 year old local team so we were at the game this weekend (thankfully last one of the season) and the way the stands were situated at this particular city field we were within 6 feet of the bench.  One of the assistant coaches on our team (mid 50's, big A tattoo on his leg) was stomping up and down in front of the bench yelling meaningless platitudes at the 8 year old players (Winners Never Quit!  Keep Hitting Them and They'll Quit!  You Gotta Play Mean!) for the entire games.  Never saw him actually coaching (as in giving instruction on techniques to players).  Was talking it over the next day with a friend of mine who played high school and college ball (Alabama A&M).  He rolled his eyes and stated that he wasn't letting his son play until he was around 7th grade just because of idiots like that.

So anybody on here with kids playing football, when did they start playing?  I didn't start playing until 7th grade (in my little town Pee Wee football wasn't even available).  What's more damaging, not getting the earlier experience or getting coached by dumbasses?  I always thought that when he got of age I would volunteer to help coach football (nobody wants me teaching kids to play baseball) but I really don't want to have to put up with idiots like that.

Most youth leagues are parent driven.  The way it is.  Some even have rules that only parents can be head coaches, as if that qualifies you.  I did it (pee wee ball) for one season.  I had been at the middle school and JV level prior, and have been at the HS level since.  I hated youth ball for all the reasons stated by you and others in this thread.  That said...I enjoyed helping the kids learn, and achieve despite the surrounding BS.    I have found more opportunity to help kids, not just with football, but life stuff, since I've been at the HS level, but I just think I relate better to the older kids and their problems.   If you want to participate, and help, then by all means, just go do your part, and do your best to help the kids achieve goals, learn something, and have fun.  Make sure they know you care about them and want the best for them.  You can't control the other coaches.  You can be a positive influence despite the other coaches.

As CCTAU said, youth ball is about as safe as it gets too.  Football teaches things you can't get in other sports IMHO.  Some kids that may not get much out of the football aspects of it, do gain positive things from playing, being on the team, and learning how to do the things required to be part of a team. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »
Whatever Mini has played, I have either taken on head coaching or assistant coaching duties.  He's never played organized football other than Upwards Flag Football.  I've been fortunate with all the basketball teams because I always had good parents who were just happy to have their kids playing.  Appreciative that someone was sacrificing their time to help the kids.  However, one year in baseball, (Coach pitch league) I encountered the parent who knew everything.  Had other kids that he coached so he wasn't always at the games.  All his kids were super all-star, travel ball, sports 24/7 kids...and according to him, were above everyone else.  That year, we sucked.  We basically had 3 kids on the team that were decent ball players, his kid being one of them. 

In coach pitch, as in most leagues, you obviously put your best players where they'll get the most touches.  Started him out at SS.  He made a lot of plays in the first game.  Problem was, we lost the game because the first baseman, who could hit a ton, ran well, strong arm....dropped 4-5 throws right to him, including the final throw which let in the winning run.  The kid at SS asked if he could play first and I gladly let him.  Problem solved.  Great 1st baseman and loved playing there.  Daddy didn't.  Stopped me after one game and said, "Why is my boy on first?  He needs to be at pitcher or shortstop."  I asked him if he saw the first game....knowing he didn't.  Told him his boy was the only one that can consistently catch the ball.   "You're hurtin' the team.  My boy don't need to be on first."  He asked me to play there.  "I don't care.  You're hurtin' the team."

Really?  Asshole. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »
Whatever Mini has played, I have either taken on head coaching or assistant coaching duties.  He's never played organized football other than Upwards Flag Football.  I've been fortunate with all the basketball teams because I always had good parents who were just happy to have their kids playing.  Appreciative that someone was sacrificing their time to help the kids.  However, one year in baseball, (Coach pitch league) I encountered the parent who knew everything.  Had other kids that he coached so he wasn't always at the games.  All his kids were super all-star, travel ball, sports 24/7 kids...and according to him, were above everyone else.  That year, we sucked.  We basically had 3 kids on the team that were decent ball players, his kid being one of them. 

In coach pitch, as in most leagues, you obviously put your best players where they'll get the most touches.  Started him out at SS.  He made a lot of plays in the first game.  Problem was, we lost the game because the first baseman, who could hit a ton, ran well, strong arm....dropped 4-5 throws right to him, including the final throw which let in the winning run.  The kid at SS asked if he could play first and I gladly let him.  Problem solved.  Great 1st baseman and loved playing there.  Daddy didn't.  Stopped me after one game and said, "Why is my boy on first?  He needs to be at pitcher or shortstop."  I asked him if he saw the first game....knowing he didn't.  Told him his boy was the only one that can consistently catch the ball.   "You're hurtin' the team.  My boy don't need to be on first."  He asked me to play there.  "I don't care.  You're hurtin' the team."

Really?  Asshole.

That's an entirely different animal than the average youth coach.  BTW, if you're volunteering your time to coach, whether you're "good" at it or not, then good on you.  Those types of parents are in every league, every level, of every sport.  And yeah, they're assholes most of the time.  I'm glad, as an assistant coach, that I don't have to deal with them. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »
Here's my problem with Dixie coaches. 

They are driven to win. That's how they judge their successes.  They only care about beating the other coaches.  They sacrifice fundamentals and instruction in order to achieve that. 

I hate to tell them but NOBODY but them gives a diddly fart about which team won the Clarke County 8-year old softball/baseball tournament. 

I'd rather my kids lose every game and learn how to play so they would be better in the future than win some plastic trophy. 

And they give trophies to all kids.  So the kids get to high school with a false sense of accomplishment. Can't hit. Can't field. Can't even line up properly.  But they are "all stars"  Dixie coaches tell them so.

What's worse is the daddy-coached teams.  I understood the value of professional instruction. Took my kid to a college pitcher who worked with her every day over the summer when she was 15. She learned to throw risers, curves, fastballs and changeups. She picked up velocity. Learned to hit spots and understand how to set up hitters.  She worked with the catcher on the team in the offseason. 

Then the coach decided to date a freshman. Got fired. A daddy/granddaddy team took over. First practice old pappy says "Carolee is gonna pitch. We'll find a place for the rest of you." Carolee was his granddaughter.  Obviously.  Carolee got her ass lit up regularly. Averaged a dozen walks a game.  I got pissed. Went to the headmaster. He wouldn't do anything.  My daughter started staying after practice to keep working on it.  People on the team started pestering daddy/granddaddy to let her try. 

One day they were in a tournament and she wasn't playing.  Sitting on the bench.  Lost the first game 12-0.  Were behind in the second game 14-0 in the bottom of the third with one out and the bases loaded.  Grandaddy told my daughter to get in there.  No warmup.  Just go pitch.  She struck out the first batter on four pitches.  The next batter hit a roller off the end of the bat that the second baseman couldn't field cleanly.  Run scores.   Game over.

Grandadd walks to the fence, glares at me and goes "You happy? Gave her a chance and she couldn't get it done."   She didn't pitch but maybe once the rest of the year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »

Really?  Asshole.

Gotta do it for the team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
I'll give a different perspective on kid's sports from an umpire perspective. 

Parents should not be allowed to watch the game any closer than 100' and behind glass walls. Because when they know that won't get any rise out of the coaches they go after the umps.

Parents should not be able to talk to their kids until at least 30 minutes after the contest. (Gives them time to calm down) and me time to get away. Because I called their little Johnny out because he was, (things I have heard) Black, Hispanic, Jewish, Fat, there are others and my favorite was "Cause he was better than me as a kid"

I moved into umpiring adults, get the same thing just minus the parents cause they are playing.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »
I'll give a different perspective on kid's sports from an umpire perspective. 

Parents should not be allowed to watch the game any closer than 100' and behind glass walls. Because when they know that won't get any rise out of the coaches they go after the umps.

Parents should not be able to talk to their kids until at least 30 minutes after the contest. (Gives them time to calm down) and me time to get away. Because I called their little Johnny out because he was, (things I have heard) Black, Hispanic, Jewish, Fat, there are others and my favorite was "Cause he was better than me as a kid"

I moved into umpiring adults, get the same thing just minus the parents cause they are playing.

or maybe you just suck as an ump.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 03:25:58 PM »

Hey Ump, that ball was higher than a t-shirt at Mardi Gras!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »

Ball player to me:  Hey red, you're missing a good game.

Me to ball player: Which field cause it isn't on this one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 03:31:43 PM »
Don't get me started on umpiring.  Did one baseball season and two softball tournaments. 

When the softball tournament ended with bats thrown and "I'm gonna beat yore ass!!" (coincidentally from a guy who later became a good friend and was a completely different animal away from the diamond) I quit that nonsense. 

Parents are the worst.  I agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »
Hey Ump, Kick your dog, he's lying to you!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
Don't get me started on umpiring.  Did one baseball season and two softball tournaments. 

When the softball tournament ended with bats thrown and "I'm gonna beat yore ass!!" (coincidentally from a guy who later became a good friend and was a completely different animal away from the diamond) I quit that nonsense. 

Parents are the worst.  I agree.

The pope:  All that is holy and good.

Pope on an athletic field. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »

+5.

Coached a lot and watched a lot. Some of you umps SUCK. But there are a lot of good ones.

Coaching is different no matter where you go. Most of my teams always won, but not because I put the best kids in the best spots. That is pretty much a given. The key to winning in rec league is fundamentals and structure. And never be afraid to let a kid try something new. I've let a lot of kids pitch that worked on it and wanted to do it. Soem turned out good and other not so good. But they all had a chanceif they wanted it.

If you can work with your bottom players and get them better, you have a great chance of beating the other teams.   

And here is the key for parents in baseball and basketball. If little johnny is that good, put him in travel ball.

And if you are still coaching baseball past 12, know that these kids are playing for the fun of it, make it fun. By then most of the really good players are on travel teams.  The guys left just want to get better hitting and have a good time. A few might go on to travel or school ball, but not likely.

I do take offense to people thinking that dads do not know what they are doing. There are a lot of dads out there who could have easily made a career out of coaching, but they chose to feed their family instead.

And personally, I have probably been to more clinics and lectures on coaching and techniques involved in baseball and football than a lot of "coaches".

It is always what you want to put into it. And it evolves all of the time. I know that techniques changed a lot from the time I coached my oldest son to the time I coached my youngest (9 years diff.). And if you do a good job, people remember.

I have been asked to help coach an East Cobb 17U baseball team next season. Big commitment. A lot of visibility. I am debating due to the fact that as these kids get older they DESERVE a lot better. I don't want to short change any of them. If all dads took their job of coaching seriously and were determined to develop every kid as good as he does his own, there would be a lot more kids playing sports.

Seek out those guys coaching without a son on the team. They are the ones doing it because when they look out there, the other options at coach make them cringe. I know that I want my son to do well, but I also want every player around him to do well also.

Find those guys for your own sons and start helping them out and see how things are done so that you too can pass it on.

You child is your responsibility. If there are no coaches that you like, stand up and be that coach. Study and learn. It is easy to teach fundamentals and techniques to the little guys these days. There are videos that will map out every practice. Times have changed. Even panzy ass yuppies can do a good job now....

And as always, if you lose, the ump sucks!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »
+5.

Coached a lot and watched a lot. Some of you umps SUCK. But there are a lot of good ones.

Coaching is different no matter where you go. Most of my teams always won, but not because I put the best kids in the best spots. That is pretty much a given. The key to winning in rec league is fundamentals and structure. And never be afraid to let a kid try something new. I've let a lot of kids pitch that worked on it and wanted to do it. Soem turned out good and other not so good. But they all had a chanceif they wanted it.

If you can work with your bottom players and get them better, you have a great chance of beating the other teams.   

And here is the key for parents in baseball and basketball. If little johnny is that good, put him in travel ball.

And if you are still coaching baseball past 12, know that these kids are playing for the fun of it, make it fun. By then most of the really good players are on travel teams.  The guys left just want to get better hitting and have a good time. A few might go on to travel or school ball, but not likely.

I do take offense to people thinking that dads do not know what they are doing. There are a lot of dads out there who could have easily made a career out of coaching, but they chose to feed their family instead.

And personally, I have probably been to more clinics and lectures on coaching and techniques involved in baseball and football than a lot of "coaches".

It is always what you want to put into it. And it evolves all of the time. I know that techniques changed a lot from the time I coached my oldest son to the time I coached my youngest (9 years diff.). And if you do a good job, people remember.

I have been asked to help coach an East Cobb 17U baseball team next season. Big commitment. A lot of visibility. I am debating due to the fact that as these kids get older they DESERVE a lot better. I don't want to short change any of them. If all dads took their job of coaching seriously and were determined to develop every kid as good as he does his own, there would be a lot more kids playing sports.

Seek out those guys coaching without a son on the team. They are the ones doing it because when they look out there, the other options at coach make them cringe. I know that I want my son to do well, but I also want every player around him to do well also.

Find those guys for your own sons and start helping them out and see how things are done so that you too can pass it on.

You child is your responsibility. If there are no coaches that you like, stand up and be that coach. Study and learn. It is easy to teach fundamentals and techniques to the little guys these days. There are videos that will map out every practice. Times have changed. Even panzy ass yuppies can do a good job now....

And as always, if you lose, the ump sucks!

Good points all.  Especially umps and refs sucking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 04:17:12 PM »
Just a word on fundamentals.  A lot of you have alluded to it and this is something I'm a firm believer in and always stress heavily in anything I corch.  When playing biesbols at Jeff Davis, one of my coaches was a fundamentals freak.  We had an assistant coach that spent every minute of every practice, hitting grounders to infielders and fly balls to outfielders.  If batting practice was going on, he was hitting grounders between every pitch.  If you were playing infield, you could count on 50-100 grounders coming your way every single day.  Instruction every time you screwed up.  Do it again.

Repetition and instruction in everything we did was the key.  As a pitcher, I must have covered first 1,000 times in practice.  Seemed like it anyway.  It became engrained.  Ground ball to the right side, sprint for the first base line, find the bag......do it again.  Do it again.  Do it again.  You never thought about it.  Instinct kicked in and that was never, ever a problem in the game.  Our infield was solid as hell because a ground ball was like playing soft toss.  Nobody was a super quick, great athlete.  No diving stops and incredible throws from the knees.  But hit a grounder within reach...you're out.  Period.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions