Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

How the Selection Committee Will Decide

How the Selection Committee Will Decide
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:20:53 PM »
Team-Selection Method:
Unlike the BCS, which uses a formula based on a combination of computer rankings and human polls to select teams, selection committee members for the new playoff will have flexibility to examine whatever data they believe is relevant to inform their decisions. Among the many factors the committee will consider are win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and conference championships won.

Anticipated Timing of Announcements:
Although the exact timing has yet to be determined, the selection committee will meet several times in person to evaluate teams and prepare interim rankings during the regular season. It will meet again during selection weekend and will announce the pairings for the playoff.

Committee-Member Selection Process:
There were five categories of individuals: People with experience as (1) coaches, (2) student-athletes, (3) administrators, and (4) journalists, and also (5) sitting directors of athletics.

The management committee gave careful consideration to the standards for membership and identifying individuals who matched the criteria. The top-priority criterion was integrity. Among the other valued attributes was football expertise, objectivity, ability to carefully evaluate and discern information, and experience in making decisions under scrutiny. Prospective members were asked to commit significant time to the endeavor.

In the spring of 2013, each FBS conference was invited to submit a list of up to 15 potential candidates. Those individuals comprised the preliminary list of nominees. The management committee reduced that list of approximately 100 names to a shorter list. The management committee reviewed this short list and then authorized Hancock to begin contacting prospective members to gauge their interest in serving.

After discussions with prospective members, formal invitations were extended.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/story?id=9825420
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: How the Selection Committee Will Decide
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »
Committee-Member Selection Process:
There were five categories of individuals: People with experience as (1) coaches, (2) student-athletes, (3) administrators, and (4) journalists, and also (5) sitting directors of athletics.

HAHA, beyotch!  You forgot (6) Black Ladyness!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »
We'll see how this goes, but I may be ok with this.

The problem with the AP poll is that AP writers are epic fucking douchebags that are all pushing an agenda. Furthermore, they make their predictions at the beginning of the year, via preseason polls, and thus, from a desire to prove how right they were so they can then write a piece or at least tweet about it and pat themselves on the back, they are reluctant to do much rearranging.

The problem with the Coaches' poll is, ain't nobody got time fa dat. The only game they should be familiar with is the one they just got through playing, and the one they're playing the following week.

Computers, I feel, are the most accurate part of the equation, freest from human error. That being said, some of them can be way out from left field.

All that being said, this committee, supposedly, is making it their entire duty to rank the Top 25. They should be able to handle this without fucking it up. They should be watching, at minimum, 5-10 games a week, which would involve 10-20 teams. They can look at the scores of all of the games they didn't catch and at least use that as a "next best thing" to seeing it in person. They can watch the ESPN highlight shows. They can make an educated assumption of strength of schedule, although I hope they will have some sort of exact scientific calculator of SOS at their disposal.

In other words, I don't absolutely hate it. Yet. Until they give me a reason to, I'll give this the benefit of the doubt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:46:57 PM »
The top-priority criterion was integrity. Among the other valued attributes was football expertise, objectivity, ability to carefully evaluate and discern information, and experience in making decisions under scrutiny.

I gotta agree with this.  What about you, blondie?

Why yeah, me and my BFF boyfriend definitely agree!

Hey! I agree too!!

Youse guys got that right. 

To be honest, I got some questions about that statement.

What? I will kick your twiggy ass.

I think we're good here. I mean really, you can't handle the truth. Here's Johnny. You need that wall.  This town needs an enema.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »
All that being said, this committee, supposedly, is making it their entire duty to rank the Top 25. They should be able to handle this without fucking it up. They should be watching, at minimum, 5-10 games a week, which would involve 10-20 teams. They can look at the scores of all of the games they didn't catch and at least use that as a "next best thing" to seeing it in person. They can watch the ESPN highlight shows. They can make an educated assumption of strength of schedule, although I hope they will have some sort of exact scientific calculator of SOS at their disposal.

In other words, I don't absolutely hate it. Yet. Until they give me a reason to, I'll give this the benefit of the doubt.
Problem here.  All of the folks chosen are prominent busy people, you are making the assumption they have time.  When in fact they all have other jobs to do. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »
Problem here.  All of the folks chosen are prominent busy people, you are making the assumption they have time.  When in fact they all have other jobs to do.

That reminded me that I've always had a problem with why there is even a coaches poll.  Everyone of them will tell you the exact same thing.  "I don't have time to look around at what everybody else is doing.  I'm only concerned with who we play this week."  Heard it 100 times.  So if you admit you're not paying attention, why the hell should you get a vote?  Just leave the system the way it is and take the top 4...soon to be expanded to 8....teams.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 06:51:48 PM »
This committee is a sham.

It's merely insurance that the major conferences and biggest revenue programs get the shot at the biggest prize. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 02:03:25 PM »
This committee is a sham.

It's merely insurance that the major conferences and biggest revenue programs get the shot at the biggest prize.

This guy ^^ summed it up in 2 sentences. It's a fucking joke.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE