Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Trivial, But Interesting Comparison

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Trivial, But Interesting Comparison
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »
Because by the time the Iron Bowl last year rolled around, I had blacked out all knowledge of the 2012 season as a coping mechanism, and therefore I did not notice this.

Alabama played Western Carolina last year.

Beat them 49-0.

Their very next game was the Iron Bowl.

Beat us 49-0.

Using the transitive football property, we were equally as bad as Western Carolina last year.

This year, we beat them 62-3. With mostly backups. Without our starting QB taking a single snap.

Not saying this is hard proof that we're lightyears beyond where we were last year, but I did find it interesting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Trivial, But Interesting Comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »
Because by the time the Iron Bowl last year rolled around, I had blacked out all knowledge of the 2012 season as a coping mechanism, and therefore I did not notice this.

Alabama played Western Carolina last year.

Beat them 49-0.

Their very next game was the Iron Bowl.

Beat us 49-0.

Using the transitive football property, we were equally as bad as Western Carolina last year.

This year, we beat them 62-3. With mostly backups. Without our starting QB taking a single snap.

Not saying this is hard proof that we're lightyears beyond where we were last year, but I did find it interesting.
It may not be the proof but I do think that we are those lightyears beyond that you speak of--regardless of how we finish.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »
It may not be the proof but I do think that we are those lightyears beyond that you speak of--regardless of how we finish.
Agree.

Just found it interesting. I noticed Bama had played them last year. Then I noticed that although we both pummeled them, as we should have, we laid 13 more points on them, and only allowed one field goal to their zero points. So we beat them better. Means almost nothing, I know.

But then I noticed that last year they put up the exact same score on us that they did on them. That embarrassment completely escaped me last year.

I think those two facts combined make for at least slightly to moderately interesting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 04:47:17 PM »
Pfffft,,,,WCU started 24 seniors last year, 26 of which were taken in the first round of the NFL draft. They were averaging 68 points per game and giving up 5.2 until the Bama game.  They hadn't given up more than 16 yards total to any one team until Bama's 5th string fullback, who played with a broken femur, ran for 81 yards on the very first play. Lord Saybinz held out the 1st through 4th string fullbacks for half of the first quarter for robbing an armored truck on the Thursday before the game.

You damn Barners didn't face shit last week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »
I'm not really getting your point.  Our team last year would have blown the doors off of Western Carolina as well.  I don't really see any comparison or what it really has to do with anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »
I'm not really getting your point.  Our team last year would have blown the doors off of Western Carolina as well.  I don't really see any comparison or what it really has to do with anything.

Bullshit, you damn barner
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 04:59:53 PM »
Did you look at the line for the bama vs WCU game?

bammer scored 42 in the first half.  McTattoo threw 6 passes....TOTAL. He was pulled in the 2nd quarter.

While we are light years ahead from last year, your comparison...well no.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 05:16:48 PM »
Maybe a better comparison. 

Bama 25

OM:  0

Auburn:  30

OM:  22

Both games at home in-state.  Ole Miss fired up for both with something to play for.  We're obviously light years ahead of last year but what does that mean when it was one of the worst teams in AU history?  So far it means we're 5-1 and damn competitive.  I say again.  I'm not sold yet but if they beat the Johnny Fucking Footballz Saturday...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 05:21:01 PM »
Maybe a better comparison. 

Bama 25

OM:  0

Auburn:  30

OM:  22

Both games at home in-state.  Ole Miss fired up for both with something to play for.  We're obviously light years ahead of last year but what does that mean when it was one of the worst teams in AU history?  So far it means we're 5-1 and damn competitive.  I say again.  I'm not sold yet but if they beat the Johnny fudgeing Footballz Saturday...
What this tells me is that if we could merger with bama, we would beat Ole Miss 55-11.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »
I don't see the need to compare ourselves with Alabama.

We're light years ahead of where we were last year.  That's just empirical evidence from watching our team play football.

If you really want to know where we are, tune in this week.  Every year, a few teams pop up that are surprises.  They're on the rise.  They're doing things right.  They're gaining momentum.  It's not always evident at first, but by midway through the year, you can tell who are the new guys posing problems for the favored teams in the league. 

Last year it was Texas A&M and Georgia to a degree.  This year, Missouri.  In 2007, it was Auburn.  Even in 2009 it was Auburn.  Could 2013 Auburn be that team? 

I think we can be.  Ground and pound.  Do something to get ahead of Manziel.  Have the ball last  We win. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »
What this tells me is that if we could merger with bama, we would beat Ole Miss 55-11.

Yyyyoouuu stupid, fuckin' barner.  They ain't wun player on the barn that's even good enough to war thuh crimpsum an......crimpsum.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 05:50:50 PM »
Did you look at the line for the bama vs WCU game?

bammer scored 42 in the first half.  McTattoo threw 6 passes....TOTAL. He was pulled in the 2nd quarter.

While we are light years ahead from last year, your comparison...well no.
Auburn scored 42 in the first half...Jeremy Johnson (2nd string QB) was pulled after two and a half quarters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »
I don't see the need to compare ourselves with Alabama.
Not what I was attempting to do.

Comparing last year's Auburn to last year's WCU. Then comparing this year's Auburn to this year's WCU. Then transitively comparing this year's Auburn to last year's Auburn.

That being said, last year's national champions did fare at least comparatively against WCU to what we did this year, and as Prowler pointed out, the comparison is valid considering however long McCarron started, it was more than our starting QB did, which is zero snaps.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »
I get what you're saying...we should beat the tahd 14-3 based on the comparisons
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »
No season is a true success unless we beat at least one of the primaries:

LSU, UGA and Uat. 

1-4 against all of them over the last five. 

1-7 against UGA.

Other than 2010, we haven't beaten both UGA and Uat in the same season since 2005. 

Going 9-3 or whatever only makes a difference to me if one of them goes down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 08:18:55 PM »
No season is a true success unless we beat at least one of the primaries:

LSU, UGA and Uat. 

1-4 against all of them over the last five. 

1-7 against UGA.

Other than 2010, we haven't beaten both UGA and Uat in the same season since 2005. 

Going 9-3 or whatever only makes a difference to me if one of them goes down.
If Auburn can go (9-3) with the three losses to LSU, UGA & uat...I'm going to call that a HUGE success and any Auburn fan that doesn't needs to wake up and realistically look at where the program was last year compared to this year, especially since (6-6/7-5 or worse) was the predicted records by nearly everyone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 10:01:41 PM »
If Auburn can go (9-3) with the three losses to LSU, UGA & uat...I'm going to call that a HUGE success and any Auburn fan that doesn't needs to wake up and realistically look at where the program was last year compared to this year, especially since (6-6/7-5 or worse) was the predicted records by nearly everyone.
heartily agree
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »

Yeah sure if you want to think rationally.

But at this point in the season?  Fuck that.  We can beat Georgia and Alabama.  They're still on our schedule. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole