Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

15 Year Old Hangs Himself After Being Arrested for Streaking

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: 15 Year Old Hangs Himself After Being Arrested for Streaking
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 10:33:22 AM »
When I had to take psych at Auburn the prof was all in favor of corporal punishment.  To paraphrase: it's immediate and it allows a child to grasp the cause and effect reactions of disobedience or dangerous behavior.
That's the way I feel about it. Little Johnny runs out in front of a car in a parking lot because he's just running wild and won't mind. Giving him a scolding and punishment won't work as fast and efficient on a toddler or young kid, imo. Spanking likely reminds him, "Hey, I should probably listen to them when we're in a parking lot and stay pretty close. They whipped my ass last time I ran in the parking lot."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 01:23:46 PM »
I guess a water balloon to the windshield would get me some time today. Back then it was an ass whopping from the driver.  (if he could catch me)
You lose -125 keen points.  Water balloons really?!? That is a rookie move.  ICE dumbass!!! It melts no evidence. 

What are you talking about lady, I didn't throw anything at your car.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »
You lose -125 keen points.  Water balloons really?!? That is a rookie move.  ICE dumbass!!! It melts no evidence. 

What are you talking about lady, I didn't throw anything at your car.

I was 12, I was a fucking rookie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Token

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
Punishment should always depend on the child and situation. I got my ass whipped a lot as a kid. More than I should have and for shit that was ridiculous. My mom is a bitch and I haven't talked to her in a long time. Haven't had a relationship with her since I moved out at 18. Her answer for everything was "whippings". Never talk about what happened and explain why it is a bad idea to do.  Nope. Just beat with whatever she could find. No lesson learned there. That's how you train an animal. And it is a horse shit way to deal with children.

With that said, I'm on board with whippings as long as it is as much about teaching as it is punishment. I have a 12 year who I've never had to whip.  He has also never had any discipline problems in school or any other time that I can recall. He's done things that would have got him beat by my mother, like drawing on the wall with a crayon, but simply making him clean it up and explaining why he shouldn't do that was enough to correct the problem. Same method was used with every other "kid" thing he has done in his life and it has worked.

8 year old on the other hand......Explaining doesn't work. He understands, and does it anyway. It has gotten a lot better in the last 3 years, but first 5 caused me to wear out 3 belts and I no longer have hedge bushes. But it was never excessive and it was always with an explanation.  I'll admit it is very frustrating at times, but I manage to save my beatings for business hours.

In short, I agree with THS and the belt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »
Punishment should always depend on the child and situation. I got my ass whipped a lot as a kid. More than I should have and for shit that was ridiculous. My mom is a bitch and I haven't talked to her in a long time. Haven't had a relationship with her since I moved out at 18. Her answer for everything was "whippings". Never talk about what happened and explain why it is a bad idea to do.  Nope. Just beat with whatever she could find. No lesson learned there. That's how you train an animal. And it is a horse shit way to deal with children.

With that said, I'm on board with whippings as long as it is as much about teaching as it is punishment. I have a 12 year who I've never had to whip.  He has also never had any discipline problems in school or any other time that I can recall. He's done things that would have got him beat by my mother, like drawing on the wall with a crayon, but simply making him clean it up and explaining why he shouldn't do that was enough to correct the problem. Same method was used with every other "kid" thing he has done in his life and it has worked.

8 year old on the other hand......Explaining doesn't work. He understands, and does it anyway. It has gotten a lot better in the last 3 years, but first 5 caused me to wear out 3 belts and I no longer have hedge bushes. But it was never excessive and it was always with an explanation.  I'll admit it is very frustrating at times, but I manage to save my beatings for business hours.

You just described real world situations. Yes, you and your mom have issues. Maybe she was part of the problem and took it out on you. maybe you were a terrible child and do not realize it. The important part is that you realize that the punishment needs to fit the crime. You felt slighted growing up and being whipped for "dumb" stuff. So you wanted to approach it a little more intelligently ( as if a bammer...) when it was your turn to parent. Lucky for you that the good kid came first. People want to plump parenting into a category. The problem is, not every kid fits in the same category. the idiot who says, "I never had to whip my child, so you shouldn't either" is just that, an idiot. Most of those folks were blessed with less stubborn children. Or their children are little shits and they can't see it. I read something a lng time ago that says to use just enough punishment to break the child's will. i want my children to understand why this is happening. One problem I find with mine is that society has taught them that my values are "old fashioned". I say that's OK. when you get out and pay your own way, you can have your own values. Right now my old values come with an old fashioned ass whipping if they are not followed. RESPECT DOES NOT GO OUT OF STYLE!

So you learned that what works for one, may not work for the other one. That is the joy of parenting. You get screw up each kid in different ways...It's how the psychologists stay in business. I tell my kids to save the unjust memory so you can tell your psychologist when you get older...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 07:32:14 PM »
I was 12, I was a fucking rookie.
no excuses play like a champion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2013, 07:33:18 PM »

You beat the shit out of your sister/wife everyday though don't you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2013, 09:45:25 AM »
Violence begets violence, Okonkwo.

You've seriously turned into this lately. 

And it's not pretty.  Sometimes violence is the only answer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
The smell of patchouli makes me violent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »
I spank my 2 year old girl. And it is nothing more than to get her attention because she is a stubborn little shit. My 10 year old son, I don't really have to spank. All I have to do is tell him I am upset with how he is acting, and that is enough to get him to straighten up. I can't imagine that working for my little girl.

Seriously...she just turned 2 in September...and this morning she wanted to watch cartoons and I was ignoring her...so she started calling me by my first name. Seriously? At 2 years old and 1 month, how the fuck does she know how to do that????
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »
You've seriously turned into this lately. 

And it's not pretty.  Sometimes violence is the only answer.

Are you saying I'm now part of the beta male crew?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 11:35:47 AM »
Here's two and three quarter cents from someone who isn't a parent; take it for what it's worth:

Any discipline that you give a child is premised on fear.  Not fear of the parent, but fear that if they do X, Y will happen.  Of course, it's the parent(s) who performs Y, but ultimately the goal is to have them fear the consequence and not the consequence deliverer.  Kids of different types fear different things.  Some fear the physical pain of a spanking.  Some fear the embarrassment of being spanked.  Some fear the mere threat of being spanked.  But fear doesn't only come from the threat of or execution of physical discipline.  Some fear having a parent yell at them in an unpleasant tone.  Some fear their parents being disappointed in or upset with them.  Some fear not having their Xbox for a week.

The key (again, from someone who isn't a parent) is to determine what they fear, and use that fear as a deterrent to make them behave appropriately.  Immediately and consistently resorting to physical discipline doesn't always work, and if that's all you rely on, then you eventually get to the point where your physical discipline gets more severe in an attempt to make it work.  That's where things go wrong, especially on very young kids that can't take much punishment as it is.

Lastly, I'm not against spanking in the slightest, but the "Johnny got spanked and turned out fine" argument is weak.  Johnny could have also gotten tortured in the basement by his father for a decade and turned out fine, but the end result doesn't necessarily make the preceding actions acceptable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2013, 11:42:02 AM »
Lastly, I'm not against spanking in the slightest,

Stating the obvious.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
Stating the obvious.

Just so long as I'm promised to get my ass rubbed down with baby oil afterward.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »
Here's two and three quarter cents from someone who isn't a parent; take it for what it's worth:

Any discipline that you give a child is premised on fear.  Not fear of the parent, but fear that if they do X, Y will happen.  Of course, it's the parent(s) who performs Y, but ultimately the goal is to have them fear the consequence and not the consequence deliverer.  Kids of different types fear different things.  Some fear the physical pain of a spanking.  Some fear the embarrassment of being spanked.  Some fear the mere threat of being spanked.  But fear doesn't only come from the threat of or execution of physical discipline.  Some fear having a parent yell at them in an unpleasant tone.  Some fear their parents being disappointed in or upset with them.  Some fear not having their Xbox for a week.

The key (again, from someone who isn't a parent) is to determine what they fear, and use that fear as a deterrent to make them behave appropriately.  Immediately and consistently resorting to physical discipline doesn't always work, and if that's all you rely on, then you eventually get to the point where your physical discipline gets more severe in an attempt to make it work.  That's where things go wrong, especially on very young kids that can't take much punishment as it is.

Lastly, I'm not against spanking in the slightest, but the "Johnny got spanked and turned out fine" argument is weak.  Johnny could have also gotten tortured in the basement by his father for a decade and turned out fine, but the end result doesn't necessarily make the preceding actions acceptable.

I keep a box full of snakes in the basement for just this reason.  It works on the kids and AUTiger1.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
Some of you bleeding hearts prolly think locking them in a dark closet as punishment is "too harsh", I'm sure. Pinkos.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
Some of you bleeding hearts prolly think locking them in a dark closet as punishment is "too harsh", I'm sure. Pinkos.

Mike Leach is now on the X
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
I keep a box full of snakes in the basement for just this reason.  It works on the kids and AUTiger1.

You sadistic bastard!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »
Are you saying I'm now part of the beta male crew?

Beta Town

Population 2
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »
Mah diddy tolt me da moon is made outta macaroni and ain't no damn sontist can tell me shit!

Weird how the kids you "have" to spank over and over and over and over and over are the little shits that just never get that message.

But best to leave the correlation to the superstious tribal natives, rather than the PhDs who dedicate their lives to this type of behavior.

I'm not one of those people that says there are zero circumstances in which a kid should ever get a pop on the backside. But if you beat the shit out of your kids regularly because they're "difficult", maybe, just maybe, there might be more effective ways to discipline them that would actually work, and not potentially turn them into sociopaths.

But back to the actual issue in this thread. I just read it for the first time.

Saw where Judd Apatow tweeted the principal's contact info and basically ordered his followers to unleash their wrath.

This is a complicated issue, and I can see both sides. On the one hand, it may have been an overreaction to tell the kid his life is ruined and he was going to be on the sex offender list for life. Maybe that led directly to the kid taking himself out. But I think when tragedies like this take place, we're quick to find a boogie man to blame it all on. So we're demanding the resignation and possibly prison time for a principal of a school for trying to scare a kid straight? Is that not his job description? I think in all likelihood the kid had deep psychological issues to have taken his own life over something like this. But then, that goes back to that medical science bullshit.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:06:43 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions