Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Nuclear Fusion.....FUCK YEAH!

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Nuclear Fusion.....FUCK YEAH!
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »
Remember the National Ignition Facility in Cali with the biggest laser in the world that was supposed to have figured out that whole fusion thing a couple of years ago....well, it seems they're more likely just a little tardi.......

In order for fusion power plants to be feasible, they have to produce more energy than they consume. It's a challenge that's confounded scientists for years. But researchers at the National Ignition Facility just made it happen.

Nuclear fusion is the process of making a single heavy nucleus from two lighter nuclei. The change in mass produces a lot of energy, as shown in Einstein's famous E=mc2 equation. Harnessing fusion has been the Holy Grail of physics, a game-changing solution that could provide a virtually unlimited source of cheap energy.

Now, as the BBC is reporting, scientists at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) in the United States used 192 beams from the world's most powerful laser — a huge laser rig the size of three football fields — to heat and compress a tiny capsule of hydrogen fuel to the point where nuclear fusion reactions take place. That's about 3.3 million Kelvin, or 5.9 million degrees Fahrenheit. The resulting implosion of the fuel in the capsule releases usable energy.

But during an experiment last month, the amount of energy released through a fusion reaction exceeded the amount of energy being absorbed by the fuel. It's the first time this has been achieved at any fusion facility in the world.

From the BBC:

This is a step short of the lab's stated goal of "ignition", where nuclear fusion generates as much energy as the lasers supply. This is because known "inefficiencies" in different parts of the system mean not all the energy supplied through the laser is delivered to the fuel.

But the latest achievement has been described as the single most meaningful step for fusion in recent years, and demonstrates NIF is well on its way towards the coveted target of ignition and self-sustaining fusion.

For half a century, researchers have strived for controlled nuclear fusion and been disappointed. It was hoped that NIF would provide the breakthrough fusion research needed.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Nuclear Fusion.....FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »
Awesome.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Re: Nuclear Fusion.....fudge YEAH!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:17:04 AM »
Fantastic.  Less radiation and if you keep going to the end game (keep fusing the heavier atoms) eventually you just end up with iron.  Much easier to get rid of than uranium.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
Fantastic.  Less radiation and if you keep going to the end game (keep fusing the heavier atoms) eventually you just end up with iron.  Much easier to get rid of than uranium.

Maybe we can get an alchemist to turn that into gold.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »
So how many more Middle Eastern people can we blow up with this new technology?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

wesfau2

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »
So how many more Middle Eastern people can we blow up with this new technology?

Even better: we can tell them to pound the prodigious amounts of sand in their shit hole countries.  No longer beholden to their oil, they can truly fuck off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »
Even better: we can tell them to pound the prodigious amounts of sand in their shit hole countries.  No longer beholden to their oil, they can truly fuck off.

But first, we have to tell a bunch of oil wealthy Americans to fuck off. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »
But first, we have to tell a bunch of oil wealthy Americans to fuck off.

T. Boone and the Koch brothers can kiss my whole asshole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »
But first, we have to tell a bunch of oil wealthy Americans to fudge off.

Even as we speak JR Ewing is selling all his oil wells and buying the Pacific Ocean so he can control the world's supply of hydrogen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.