Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

True/False - College Football was more rewarding and fun in the 50s-70s era

jmar

Re: True/False - College Football was more rewarding and fun in the 50s-70s era
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »
Archie was the only non-Auburn player I ever cared about because of where he played and how little he had to work with. And I can't recall a player since that has done more with less.

Pay close attention to LB George Bevan's comment on Manning. 
Note the absence of the mention of Alabama in the SI article then scroll through the remaining pages. This was when Bryant was struggling pre-wishbone and thought by some to be nearly done as the dominant coaching figure in the south. But he had much more power over many other head coaches including Shug because he was also the athletic director and answered to no one. And that didn't change for Auburn until Dye came along. Pat Dye knew what he needed for a more level playing field and it resulted in playing for conference championships with more national exposure.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1083023/index.htm

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:34:39 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »
You just hit on something.  I actually think the ESPN's have toned it down this year because a couple of years ago, you could literally catch a college game every night of the week.  You're saturated with college football now.  Great in some respects but it can take away some of what the game is all about if you let it.  But back in the "Get the hell off my lawn" days, there were a couple of games on TV on Saturday.  We were lucky if we got Auburn once or even twice a year on the regional telecast.  Any road games and some home games the parents didn't take me to were caught on the radio.  Gary Sanders and Gusty Yearout.  "It is blocked....It is blocked.  Picked up on the run by David Langner...". 

The rest of the news you got about Auburn or college football in general was on the odd highlight show on Saturday or Sunday or what you read in the Sunday paper.  You may not have seen one highlight of Nebraska but you read that they rolled some poor Tulsa or Kansas 72-3.  The Shug Jordan playback show on Sunday was required viewing, win or lose.
You are so right Carl.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 03:07:42 PM »
Like the pages of my mind.
I had to wait until 5:00 PM on Sunday afternoon to hear the words "...you're so right Carl."

Also remember the radio broadcasts and how much energy Gary and Gusty brought, especially when there was a fumble listening to Gary's highest inflection "who got it? [pandemonium] then Gary's boldest baritone AUBURN!

And in a big game there always seemed to be a late hit that caused a lot of angst and Gary would turn all-out homer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
Yes we all love Auburn and for what it stands for. Its easy being an Auburn fan, we are simply better than most and most definitely better than what's across the state. I don't mean better in football, football is game and we are better at living.

Every time I enter stadium and walk up the ramp to see the field I stop and smell where I am. Just for that tiny moment I am a kid again standing next to my dad.

This is why I have decided I could give two shits about what ESPN/SI/al.com says about Auburn or what some random people in some other state think about us.  I still get goosebumps when I walk up the ramp and catch my first glimpse of the field.  I still cry during Eagle Flight and when 87,451 of my closest friends are all screaming War Eagle at the top of their lungs with me.  None of those inbred fucktards can take that away from me.  None of the lies Gheyer Evans makes up changes any of that.  Yeah, it might influence poll voters, but so what.  Win and their opinion does not matter anyway. 

Fight the fight, make yourself sick raging against the machine, screaming about how "they cheatin'!" all you want.  College football has nearly been ruined by all kinds of assholes - media, rival, whatever - but I am not going to think about that.  That does not affect my personal experience unless I let it.  I am going to enjoy my day and enjoy my experience, and someday share it with my kids.  I will point Cam's picture  and Bo's picture out to the offspring and say "Those guys right there are two of the greatest players to ever play the game, and they played for Auburn."  And that's all they need to know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
I had to wait until 5:00 PM on Sunday afternoon to hear the words "...you're so right Carl."

Also remember the radio broadcasts and how much energy Gary and Gusty brought, especially when there was a fumble listening to Gary's highest inflection "who got it? [pandemonium] then Gary's boldest baritone AUBURN!

And in a big game there always seemed to be a late hit that caused a lot of angst and Gary would turn all-out homer.

It's weird how a lot of Fyffe's calls sound like Gary Sanders'.  Just like the PA announcer at JHS used to be Carl Stevens.  When he retired, I couldn't tell the difference.

Speaking of "You're so right, Carl" growing up, we'd always have a backyard football game on Sunday afternoon and us AU guys had to wear a #7 or #88 jersey while the other team had to wear the crimpsum #12 or whatever other number.  Come 5:00, it was time to go in for required viewing.  You didn't miss the playback show.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 03:58:45 PM »
It's weird how a lot of Fyffe's calls sound like Gary Sanders'.  Just like the PA announcer at JHS used to be Carl Stevens.  When he retired, I couldn't tell the difference.

Speaking of "You're so right, Carl" growing up, we'd always have a backyard football game on Sunday afternoon and us AU guys had to wear a #7 or #88 jersey while the other team had to wear the crimpsum #12 or whatever other number.  Come 5:00, it was time to go in for required viewing.  You didn't miss the playback show.
Same here, and I even watched the Bear Bryant show with my Bamer friend just to hear him mispronounce his players names and we both laughed aloud when it was time to watch his hungover ass try to choke down some Golden Flake potato chips and wash it down with a fine Coke product.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »
Same here, and I even watched the Bear Bryant show with my Bamer friend just to hear him mispronounce his players names and we both laughed aloud when it was time to watch his hungover ass try to choke down some Golden Flake potato chips and wash it down with a fine Coke product.

What would you give to see the shows again after the 17-16 game?

Edit: found this.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:34:15 PM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »
wash it down with a fine Coke product.

So you're saying you got into snaggles alkyhawl stash?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
So you're saying you got into snaggles alkyhawl stash?
Nah, only pointing out that Bryant was chasing his bourbon a day late.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 05:08:46 PM »
Drunk Bear narrative:

Bingo, who was that boy, Charlie?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions