Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Because Global Warming

jmar

Re: Because Global Warming
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 09:30:18 AM »
Love bugs are migrating too far north this year.
We must be doomed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »
You tell your wife yet?

Well I mean, he did have to get permission first.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 11:25:32 AM »
Keep insisting the Earth is flat because you've invested so much of your life screaming til you're blue in the face that science is a farce. Your position is laughable and flat-out delusional at this point.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/09/30/climate_change_it_s_real_and_it_s_us.html

Climate Change: It’s Real, and It’s Us

Climate change is real. The Earth is warming up.

Moreover, by implication and by fact: Climate change deniers are wrong.

I say this because the first part of the fifth Assessment Report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is now out, and it’s incredibly clear.

In the very first highlighted conclusion on the very first page of the report, the authors come out swinging:

Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and since the 1950s, many of the observed changes are unprecedented over decades to millennia. The atmosphere and ocean have warmed, the amounts of snow and ice have diminished, sea level has risen, and the concentrations of greenhouse gases have increased.

Emphasis mine. Still, that’s the major fact to walk away with. The biggest change over previous reports is how confident scientists are that humans are behind global warming. We’ve known about the effects, and now we can be quite sure that our own emissions are behind it.

Politically, this may be the most important part. People like James Inhofe (R-Okla.) can spew ridiculous assertions and continue to live in a fantasy world, but this part of the IPCC report is specifically written for policymakers. The increased certainty over previous reports is what they need to understand.

Still, the ramifications of climate change need to be driven home.

The report has many. In fact, right after that opening salvo they go on to say that each of the last three decades has been warmer than the last, and all three have been warmer than any other decade since 1850.

This is critical to understand, so here’s the plot showing land and ocean surface temperatures, averaged over a decade:

Land and sea surface temperatures averaged over ten year periods. Land and sea surface temperatures averaged over ten year periods.

As you can see, the last three decades have been warmer than any before, and the 2000-2009 decade warmer by far.

Averaging over a decade is a good way to show this because temperatures change quite a bit year-to-year, and climate change only starts to show itself after a sufficiently long period of time. If you look on shorter time scales, you might think things are warming faster or slower than they really are.

This is the major fallacy recently promoted by the climate change deniers: That the warming has “stalled” over the past decade or so. That’s simply not true. Temperatures have flattened, but to say the global warming itself has stopped is dead wrong. I’m not splitting hairs, either, because the distinction is critical. Here’s the difference:

1) We’re talking surface temperatures here, which is not the best way to represent the extra energy the Earth has absorbed from the Sun. Climate change happens because the amount of heat absorbed by the Earth from the Sun is not balanced by the amount the Earth radiates away into space. Give off too much and the Earth cools; keep too much and it heats up. Greenhouse gases in essence trap heat, so the more carbon dioxide we put into the air, the less heat the Earth can shed, and we warm up.

Right now, that extra energy is getting transported into the deeper ocean. We know this is happening. And the ocean is a much, much bigger reservoir of heat than the air is —it can store and transfer far larger amounts of heat than air (that’s why a sauna set to 80° C will be relaxing, but a hot tub set that high will quickly kill you). As the IPCC report notes, ocean temperatures are rising.

2) The flattening of the surface temperatures lately is nothing new. Despite deniers beating the drums about it, we’ve had such “pauses” before. Here’s the other part of the temperature showing annual land and ocean surface temperatures (this is the same graph as above, but not averaged over whole decades):

Land and sea surface temperatures on an annual basis. Land and sea surface temperatures on an annual basis.

Let me ask you, and answer honestly: What’s the very first thing you notice about that plot? It’s obviously the steep rise in temperatures since about 1900. But note that there have been several times the slope of that rise has changed. From 1940 – 1960 it was fairly flat as well (you can see that in the decadal average, too). But then it took off again, shooting back up. It also rose steeply from 1900 to 1940 or so after a period of mild cooling.

The point is, the trend over time is up. Natural variations can cause cooling — ocean absorption of heat, volcanic explosions, aerosols sent into the air by humans — but those are at best small variations on the much larger trend. And that trend is hot.

So no matter how much the denial machine froths and fumes at this latest so-called “pause”, the graph makes it very clear that all of this has happened before, and will happen again. But to think this means climate change has “stopped” is simply foolish, and anyone trying to make that argument is clearly wrong.

There is far more to the IPCC report than just temperature, of course. Other big conclusions:

·      Precipitation rates are changing; dry places are getting drier, and wet places wetter;

·      Arctic sea ice is declining (despite, again, the ridiculous claims of the deniers);

·      Upper ocean heat content is rising;

·      Sea levels are rising (over a 150 centimeters —five feet — in the past century);

·      The oceans are getting more acidic (caused by CO2 absorption);

·      Atmospheric carbon dioxide levels are rising, as are methane and nitrous oxide levels, and are higher now than they have been in 800,000 years.

Annual amount of atmospheric carbon dioxide (in parts per million), measured at Mauna Loa.

That last one is the key to this whole thing. We have been dumping all three of these greenhouse gases into the atmosphere at a rate of billions of tons per year for the past century, and that’s upset the natural balance of the planet.

We’re heating up, and it’s our damn fault.

And there’s more: Obviously, if we do nothing, just go about business as usual, things will continue to get worse. But even if we improve, cut back on CO2 emission, things will still continue to get worse for quite some time. [Note: The IPCC report on mitigation techniques — that is, what we can do about all this — is due out in April 2014.]

This is the new normal. Hotter temperatures, more extreme weather, loss of ice at the poles. Ocean acidification is scary, too; that’s already affecting corals, causing die-offs, and can have negative impacts on the entire food chain in the oceans.

There’s more, a lot more. That’s the important stuff, though. Still, I strongly urge you to read the report itself. Also, reliable sources have been writing about this since the report came out Friday. Here are a few good links:

·      Climate scientist Michael Mann writing for The Guardian

·      Skeptical Science, as always, has an excellent summary, noting that another big conclusion to draw from the IPCC report is how much more confident they are that this is due to human influence

·      Seth Borenstein at Common Sense Canadian

·      NASA’s Earth Observatory site         

·      An article written by two climate change professionals at The Conversation

·      Real Climate, also as usual, has a great writeup

There are plenty more, but that’s enough to give you the gist.

Of course, the deniers have been spinning at nearly relativistic speeds trying to downplay this report. They talk about the pause, they talk about how sensitive the climate is to CO2, they talk about the IPCC being unreliable. But the bottom line is they’re wrong. Ironically, due to its very nature, the IPCC is actually quite conservative; the panel has actually been getting flak from real scientists because the observations — heat absorption, ice loss, sea level rise, and so on — have in almost all cases actually outpaced predictions from earlier reports. In reality, things are worse.

So there you go. I know a lot of people will be saying I’m being alarmist, but you know what? I’m being a realist. Climate change is alarming.

And if someone denies that, denies the facts, denies the conclusions of thousands of actual climate scientists, denies the evidence, denies that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and denies that there’s even a problem, well, what does that make them?

I’d much rather know the alarming truth than be in constant denial while things get worse all around me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:27:48 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 11:29:03 AM »
This was the coolest summer on record for us.  I hear this winter is going to be colder than usual.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »
This was the coolest summer on record for us.  I hear this winter is going to be colder than usual.

The good news is that as the planet is destroyed, it should be  pleasant in the South as long as you are away for the coast and not hit by an F7 tornado. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »
The good news is that as the planet is destroyed, it should be  pleasant in the South as long as you are away for the coast and not hit by an F7 tornado.

Word. 

Ocean front in South Montgomery county.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »
Why isn't climate change happening in the Southern Hemisphere?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »
Why isn't climate change happening in the Southern Hemisphere?

Because southerners are slower than everyone else.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »
 Chizad = :dead:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »
You got your guy, I got mine.  And mine went to M.I. fuckingT

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/29/top-mit-scientist-un-climate-report-is-hilariously-flawed/#ixzz2gLHANBQT

Top MIT scientist: Newest UN climate report is ‘hilariously’ flawed
1:27 PM 09/29/2013

inShare
20 20
Michael Bastasch
See All Articles
Email Michael Bastasch
Subscribe to RSS

inShare
Not all scientists are panicking about global warming — one of them finds the alarmism “hilarious.”

A top climate scientist from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology lambasted a new report by the UN’s climate bureaucracy that blamed mankind as the main cause of global warming and whitewashed the fact that there has been a hiatus in warming for the last 15 years.

“I think that the latest IPCC report has truly sunk to level of hilarious incoherence,” Dr. Richard Lindzen told Climate Depot, a global warming skeptic news site. “They are proclaiming increased confidence in their models as the discrepancies between their models and observations increase.”

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change claimed it was 95 percent sure that global warming was mainly driven by human burning of fossil fuels that produce greenhouse gases. The I.P.C.C. also glossed over the fact that the Earth has not warmed in the past 15 years, arguing that the heat was absorbed by the ocean.

“Their excuse for the absence of warming over the past 17 years is that the heat is hiding in the deep ocean,” Lindzen added. “However, this is simply an admission that the models fail to simulate the exchanges of heat between the surface layers and the deeper oceans.”

“However, it is this heat transport that plays a major role in natural internal variability of climate, and the IPCC assertions that observed warming can be attributed to man depend crucially on their assertion that these models accurately simulate natural internal variability,” Lindzen continued. “Thus, they now, somewhat obscurely, admit that their crucial assumption was totally unjustified.”

Scientists have been struggling to explain the 15-year hiatus in global warming, and governments have been urging them to whitewash the fact that temperatures have not been rising because such data would impact the upcoming climate negotiations in 2015.

The Associated Press obtained documents that show the Obama administration and some European governments pressured UN climate scientists to downplay or even omit data that shows the world hasn’t warmed in over a decade.

“Germany called for the reference to the slowdown to be deleted, saying a time span of 10-15 years was misleading in the context of climate change, which is measured over decades and centuries,” the AP report said. “The U.S. also urged the authors to include the ‘leading hypothesis’ that the reduction in warming is linked to more heat being transferred to the deep ocean.”

Global warming skeptics have exploited such data to show that the science behind manmade global warming is faulty and politically driven.

“n attributing warming to man, they fail to point out that the warming has been small, and totally consistent with there being nothing to be alarmed about,” Lindzen said. “It is quite amazing to see the contortions the IPCC has to go through in order to keep the international climate agenda going.”

However, believers in catastrophic global warming have said the UN report should serve as a wake-up call to those who would deny the issue’s urgency.

“Those who deny the science or choose excuses over action are playing with fire,” said Secretary of State John Kerry. “Once again, the science grows clearer, the case grows more compelling and the costs of inaction grow beyond anything that anyone with conscience or common sense should be willing to even contemplate.”

The UN is set to release its full assessment of the world’s climate on Monday.

Follow Michael on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/29/top-mit-scientist-un-climate-report-is-hilariously-flawed/#ixzz2gPKCEW8g
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
Chizad's "report" is from  slate.com

Pffftttttt.. HAHAHAHAHA.  PFffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttt.  HAHAHAHAHA. 

Pfftt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »
Chizad's "report" is from  slate.com

Pffftttttt.. HAHAHAHAHA.  PFffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttt.  HAHAHAHAHA. 

Pfftt.
As clearly communicated and linked, the "report" is from The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/#.UknhXn-fiM0

The tl;dr summary by Slate was apparently was too much for your to process either, though.

As I'm sure you also ignored:
Ironically, due to its very nature, the IPCC is actually quite conservative; the panel has actually been getting flak from real scientists because the observations — heat absorption, ice loss, sea level rise, and so on — have in almost all cases actually outpaced predictions from earlier reports. In reality, things are worse.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:42:20 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »
As clearly communicated and linked, the "report" is from The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/#.UknhXn-fiM0

The tl;dr summary by Slate was apparently was too much for your to process either, though.

Here's a photo of their meeting:

BAAAA HAAA HAA HAAA HAAAA HAAA HAAA.

"Climate Change" exists.  It has always existed.  It will always, as long as there is an earth, exist. 

YOU are the one who keeps bellowing about a flat earth when there's no such thing. 

Here's an illustration from the most recent meeting of the "Intergovernmental Panel"  (*baa haa ahaaaaa)

And here's one of the Panel members actually measuring climate change.

Dude.. quit buying into this FRAUD.  You're smarter than that. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 04:54:04 PM »
Dude.. quit buying into this FRAUD.  You're smarter than that.
Smarter than 99.9% of all climate scientists.

Only you are foolhardy & blowhardy enough to be believe that you are more of an expert than the experts. At everything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2013, 05:03:10 PM »
Smarter than 99.9% of all climate scientists.

Only you are foolhardy & blowhardy enough to be believe that you are more of an expert than the experts. At everything.

Jesus Christo, dude.  The 99.9 thing is a LIE, too.  Don't you know that? 

It's bogus.  100% bogus. 

FORBES  (real, not "slate.com")

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2013/02/13/peer-reviewed-survey-finds-majority-of-scientists-skeptical-of-global-warming-crisis/

Don’t look now, but maybe a scientific consensus exists concerning global warming after all. Only 36 percent of geoscientists and engineers believe that humans are creating a global warming crisis, according to a survey reported in the peer-reviewed Organization Studies. By contrast, a strong majority of the 1,077 respondents believe that nature is the primary cause of recent global warming and/or that future global warming will not be a very serious problem.

The survey results show geoscientists (also known as earth scientists) and engineers hold similar views as meteorologists. Two recent surveys of meteorologists (summarized here and here) revealed similar skepticism of alarmist global warming claims.

In summary, pffffttttt on 99%.

Also:
During Wednesday’s GOP presidential debate, Jon Huntsman attacked Rick Perry with the claim that 97% to 98% of climate scientists believe in the manmade global warming hypothesis.

The claim arises from this June 2010 PNAS study. Read it if you have the time and stomach, but the bottom line is that about 97% to 98% of climate researchers (if not more) are paid by the government and climate interest groups to support and to advance the global warming hypothesis and, guess what, they do.

This doesn’t make these researchers correct or credible, just employed.

In short?  Pfffffffffffftttootttoooey.

It. Is. Not. Happening.

Period.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:24:59 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 06:10:27 PM »
No!! Wait!!! It IS happening.  But it's just on PAUSE!!!

PRRRRRRFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAATOOTOOTOOTEY!

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/09/30/un-climate-change-models-warming/

An enormous U.N. report on the scientific data behind global warming was made available Monday, yet it offers little concrete explanation for an earthly oddity: the planet’s climate has hit the pause button.

Since 1998, there has been no significant increase in global average surface temperature, and some areas -- notably the Northern Hemisphere -- have actually cooled. The 2,200-page new Technical Report attributes that to a combination of several factors, including natural variability, reduced heating from the sun and the ocean acting like a “heat sink” to suck up extra warmth in the atmosphere.

HAHAHAHA.  Cooled.

We gonna freeze iff'n we don't burn. 

The only "greenhouse gases" we need to be concerned with are the respirations of assbags like Gore and the other alarmists. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 12:04:24 PM »
No!! Wait!!! It IS happening.  But it's just on PAUSE!!!

PRRRRRRFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAATOOTOOTOOTEY!

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/09/30/un-climate-change-models-warming/

HAHAHAHA.  Cooled.

We gonna freeze iff'n we don't burn. 

The only "greenhouse gases" we need to be concerned with are the respirations of assbags like Gore and the other alarmists.

About that pause...
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/24/warmest-years-record-un-global-warming

13 of 14 warmest years on record occurred in 21st century – UN

Global warming trend continues with floods, droughts and extreme weather events around the world
california drought

Monday 24 March 2014 06.05 EDT

13 of the 14 warmest years on record occurred this century, according to the UN.

Publishing its annual climate report, the UN's World Meteorological Organisation said that last year continued a long-term warming trend, with the hottest year ever in Australia and floods, droughts and extreme weather elsewhere around the world.

Michel Jarraud, the WMO's secretary-general, also said there had been no 'pause' in global warming, as has been alleged by climate change sceptics. “There is no standstill in global warming,” Jarraud said.

2001-2010 was the warmest decade on record, the WMO noted, and added that the last three decades had been warmer than the previous one.
Advertisement

The WMO reiterated its earlier finding that 2013 was the sixth warmest on record, with temperatures 0.5C above the long-term average (1961-1990). The southern hemisphere was particularly warm, its report said, with Argentina experiencing its second warmest year on record and New Zealand its third warmest.

Arctic sea ice in 2013 did not reach the record lows seen in 2012 for minimum extent in the summer, but was at the sixth lowest on record. The WMO noted all seven of the lowest Arctic sea-ice extents took place in the past seven years, starting with 2007, which scientists were "stunned" by at the time.

"Many of the extreme events of 2013 were consistent with what we would expect as a result of human-induced climate change. We saw heavier precipitation, more intense heat, and more damage from storm surges and coastal flooding as a result of sea level rise – as typhoon Haiyan so tragically demonstrated in the Philippines," said Jarraud.

Prof Sir Brian Hoskins, director of the Grantham Institute for Climate Change at Imperial College London, said: “2013 with its mixture of record warmth and extreme weather shows a now familiar mixture of natural variability and greenhouse gas induced climate change. These annual statements document a striking long term trend, and one thing is clear: that our continuing greenhouse gas emissions are a crucial driving force in the changing climate."

Next week the UN's climate science panel, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, will publish the second part in its landmark fifth report on climate change. The report is expected to warn that food yields will suffer from future heatwaves, and the natural world will suffer severe impacts if temperatures continue to rise.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 01:03:34 PM »
About that pause...
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/24/warmest-years-record-un-global-warming

Do you understand the word "cyclical"? 

We've already seen that chart that goes back to 1850.  Paaaafffffffffttttttttttttttttt.

That's the blink of an eye in world time. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »
More evidence of global warming.  from teh USATodayz

The Great Lakes are making a comeback.

Record-breaking snow, ice cover and cold temperatures this winter will mean rising Great Lakes water levels over the next six months — but don't expect too dramatic a recovery.

The unusually deep, unusually water-heavy snowpack that's melting and feeding the lakes is expected to help them continue to rebound from years of record-low water, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' six-month forecast reports.

If accurate, the forecast would mark a second year of improving lake levels and a comeback from the record lows recorded on Lakes Michigan and Huron early last year.

That means much-needed good news for marinas, beach-goers and the shipping industry in Michigan -- but it won't be a huge improvement for boaters who've endured recent years of unusable docks and closed marina slips.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
I'm buying up land in Birmingham that I hope to sell as beach lots. I wish this global warming thingy
would hurry up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com