Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

ESPN Article--Leach Vs. Malzahn

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
ESPN Article--Leach Vs. Malzahn
« on: August 29, 2013, 02:12:51 PM »
I wish Bray hadn't mentioned putting up 70. We souldn't be giving them bulletin board material after coming off of 3 wins. Esp since they are coming off of 3 wins.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/81271/leach-malzahn-both-known-for-offenseLeach, Malzahn both known for offense

August, 29, 2013
Aug 29

8:00

AM ET

By  Greg Ostendorf | ESPN.com
Recommend3
Tweet6
Comments0
Email
Print

Malzahn/LeachUSA TODAY SportsFirst-year Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and second-year Washington State coach Mike Leach are two of the most renowned offensive innovators out of the spread.
AUBURN, Ala. -- It’s no surprise that many experts are predicting a shootout between Auburn and Washington State on Saturday. The game features Gus Malzahn and Mike Leach, two of the more innovative offensive minds in college football.

“It’s exciting,” Auburn wide receiver Quan Bray said. “That’s what we’re looking forward to. Hopefully, it won’t be a shootout. On our part it will be a shootout. We’re trying to put up 70.”

Bray’s prediction of 70 points might be a bit of a stretch, but the game should feature plenty of points scored between Auburn’s Malzahn and Washington State’s Leach.

At first glance, the two teams might look very similar on offense. They both like to spread it out, and they both want to get it in the hands of their playmakers. However, each team runs a very different style out of their spread formation.

“We’re a run the football to open up the pass with play-action, and I know they’re a pass to open up the run,” Malzahn said. “But they’ve been very successful doing what they do.”

As for Auburn?

“A lot of misdirection,” Leach said. “They try to spread the field. They like a dual-threat quarterback who can run a little bit for them. A lot of screens, a lot of fake screens. We spread it out to throw it, they spread it out to run it, but both of us can do either one.”

The two coaches have never actually met. The closest thing Malzahn has ever seen to a Mike Leach-run offense came when he was co-offensive coordinator at Tulsa and the Golden Hurricane faced a pass-happy Houston squad.

The majority of Auburn’s team has not faced an offense like Washington State either. It’s quite a bit different than the typical SEC offense.

“I don't really feel like we have faced anybody who is pass-first,” cornerback Jonathon Mincy said. “In the SEC, every week you have a team that has an outstanding running back. It's a great task at hand that we have, and we're ready for it. We're definitely going to play a lot more man, get in their face and interrupt their routes.”

A year ago, Washington State finished just 3-9 in Leach’s debut with the Cougars but ranked No. 9 in the country with 330 passing yards per game. In all, the WSU quarterbacks threw for close to 4,000 yards and 23 touchdowns.

“We're playing an opponent that I feel like is going to be much improved,” Malzahn said. “They finished the year beating their rival Washington, which is a very big win. They've got the majority of their guys offensively and defensively back. That is definitely a concern.

“And then the fact it's the second year in their system. They've got a proven head coach who's won just about everywhere he's been, so we're expecting those guys to be much improved and a very good opponent for us in the first game.”

The expectations are high for Auburn’s offense as well, but the Tigers are having to break in a brand new starting quarterback. Junior college transfer Nick Marshall put up gaudy numbers last season at Garden City Community College, but he’s never directed an SEC offense.

Malzahn plans to play it safe with his new quarterback, but that doesn’t mean he wants to slow down the tempo.

“We never plan on starting out slowing things down because pace is one of our advantages,” he said. “We're always going to do what gives our team the best chance of winning.”

So will Saturday’s clash between high-powered offenses turn into a shootout inside Jordan-Hare Stadium? Leach isn’t so sure.

“It's tough to say,” the Washington State coach said. “First games are always funny that way. First games seldom unfold the way you expect. Both have quality defensive coaches on each team, so I think they'll be well-coached and we'll just have to see what happens.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: ESPN Article--Leach Vs. Malzahn
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 02:37:15 PM »
Warshentun State Cougars 2012 Results

BYU   L                                     30-6
Eastern Warshentun  W            24-20
UNLV  W                                  35-27
Colorado  L                              35-34
Oregon (They're just so fast)  L  51-26
Oregon State Chainsaws  L          19-6
Cal Bears  L                              31-17
Stanford  L                               24-17
UCLA  L                                    44-36
Arizona State  L                          46-7
Warshentun Huskies  W             31-28

I would chalk this one up to a 30 point win for the good guys.....if we weren't coming off 3-9 ourselves.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:51:53 PM »
What scares me is that our biggest weakness consistent throughout the Chizik era was our secondary.  We had good moments at every position except secondary which gave up chunks of yardage even in 2010. 

Have we fixed that?  I'm not so sure.  Washington State is going to throw for a lot of yards against us.  I just hope our offense is up to speed to put up points early and send this one out with a W.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »
Warshentun State Cougars 2012 Results

BYU   L                                     30-6
Eastern Warshentun  W            24-20
UNLV  W                                  35-27
Colorado  L                              35-34
Oregon (They're just so fast)  L  51-26
Oregon State Chainsaws  L          19-6
Cal Bears  L                              31-17
Stanford  L                               24-17
UCLA  L                                    44-36
Arizona State  L                          46-7
Warshentun Huskies  W             31-28

I would chalk this one up to a 30 point win for the good guys.....if we weren't coming off 3-9 ourselves.
They did seem to keep the majority of the games (excluding 1st and last) somewhat close. This tells me they didn't quit like we did pretty much the second half of season. But I have to believe its a new day. And I do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »
They did seem to keep the majority of the games (excluding 1st and last) somewhat close. This tells me they didn't quit like we did pretty much the second half of season. But I have to believe its a new day. And I do.

We quit the second half of the second game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks that the Auburn secondary will be one of the strengths of the defense this year?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks that the Auburn secondary will be one of the strengths of the defense this year?

Yeah...pretty much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »

That Kiehlhlellleh Frazier on the two deep giving you some excitement?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »

Call me crazy, but I am with you......until someone gets injured then I am afraid we will suck.  Our starters I think are going to be good, but we lack quality depth. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

djsimp

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »
Yeah...pretty much.

You know, the only thing saving you is your avatar. Good gosh man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 03:22:42 PM »

Nope.  Me too.  NO MO NEIKO means the secondary HAS to improve

I think Kodi Kiehl feels like he has something to prove.  If he plays, and I am betting he sees time, I think he gets at LEAST one pick in this game, and it will be the opposite kind of pick than he used to get.  I don't think he is very fast, so I doubt he takes it to the house, but he could, depending on where we are on the field.  20 yards to glory?  He gets the 6.  80 yards?  Not so much.

I think I'mma put this in the Perdicktations thread as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »
That Kiehlhlellleh Frazier on the two deep giving you some excitement?

I'm all tingly.

Call me crazy, but I am with you......until someone gets injured then I am afraid we will suck.  Our starters I think are going to be good, but we lack quality depth. 

I do seriously think the DB's will have a very good season but the DL will have to step up their game. If they don't then, well, all bets are off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 03:48:12 PM »
I'm thinking our strength is up front and up front only. But, that was pretty much the case in 2010.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 10:46:24 PM »
There's nobody in Auburn's secondary that scares anybody.  Could they be solid?  Maybe, but nothing great. 

This game scares me a little.  It's not a gimme IMHO.  Leach is in his second year there and will have his guys knowing what they're doing.  Combine that with our defense being, as far as we know now, a weakness, and this could be a bad start to the season for Auburn.  What I think gives Auburn the edge is that we will try to, and should be able to pound the rock vs their undersized D.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
I have no expectations. I am going to watch this game with an open...beer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.